Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
The FIT is a great car, especially for city driving, real fun to drive.
I totally understand the attraction. (Almost got it myself).
Congratulations and enjoy your new car !
Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
congratulations on your new microvan!

i thought fit's original name was jazz, and I'm not sure if it is safer, but it does fit more inside (i believe it's longer).

but in all seriousness, congratulations on a new car! that's always fun :D look for me on the highway, I'll be the yaris ahead of you
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
The Fit's a spunky looking little car, it's got it's flaws pointed out by current owners on fitfreaks, but what car doesn't. My biggest concern is I'm a do-it-myself guy when it comes to maintenance and I can find no easy way to change the spark plugs-they're located on the backside of the motor near the firewall. The whole top of the intake has to come of just to get back there-very fussy design.

I've also found the windshield to be very reflective of all the coutours in the dash on sunny days-drives me nuts which the matte finish of the Yaris does not. I also needed good sun visors to the side and I got lucky with the Yaris I got-it has the extenders built in. But if the Yaris didn't exist I'd get a Fit probably over anything else available today.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
But if the Yaris didn't exist I'd get a Fit probably over anything else available today.
Here's my list of preference from my fav to least fav..
  1. Ford Fiesta
  2. VW Golf/Rabbit
  3. Nissan Versa
  4. Honda Fit

If the Ford Fiesta was readily available today, I might have gotten it over the Yaris.. Since my Saturn's tranny kicked the bucket, I had no time to sit and wait for the Fiesta to come out so I just went with my Yaris and I have no regrets.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #24
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Good choice. Lots of stuff on Fit Freak, but you probably know that already.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #25
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I'm jealous! I want a "Mugen-ized" white Fit Sport. I'm upside down on my car loan right now though.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #26
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Thanks everyone for your your replies.

I got the white sport with manual transmission.

I agree with the poster who said it's a bit steep for a subcompact, and California's 9.25% sales tax and high registrations fees are not helping the price either.

So from financial point of view I indeed took a plunge, but I have been thrifty and cheap for so long that I decided to pay the price this time. (Have never taken any of my cars for service, always repaired them on my own, often with used parts. Used to drive 50$ rust buckets, and a bicycle for 4 yrs while in college.

It is indeed like a little minivan, but the suspension makes you forget about it when you drive.

I am not a big fan of the dashboard design. The visors are indeed very unusable but i just made an extender from a leather/paper-like college theses books which I have a lot laying around.

The spark plugs luckily do not need replacement until 100K, as they are iridium. Of course I will be replacing them earlier.

The fit overall and especially its wheel are in high demand among thieves. This keeps me worried when I sleep at night and it is parked on the street in LA in a sketchy neighborhood. I installed 3 sets of wheel locks though. (two gorilla locks and one OEM set from honda).

Well in the end, Yaris and Fit are basically brothers. They are both subcompact economical cars which should not be competing with each other, but together going against larger and thirstier gas guzzling SUVs.

By the way, the Fit was my dream car, so even thought I could afford other cars, I just don't need anything else.

I love the gas mileage of this motor, the versatility of the interior, the driving experience, and the expected honda reliability.

Seeing Yarii around still gives me warm and fuzzy feelings and respect for their drivers.

My little review of the fit on fitfreak
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:37 AM   #27
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
The spark plugs luckily do not need replacement until 100K, as they are iridium. Of course I will be replacing them earlier.
Why "of course?" You don't gain anything in engine performance or economy by doing so.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #28
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
Thanks everyone for your your replies.

I got the white sport with manual transmission.

I agree with the poster who said it's a bit steep for a subcompact, and California's 9.25% sales tax and high registrations fees are not helping the price either.

So from financial point of view I indeed took a plunge, but I have been thrifty and cheap for so long that I decided to pay the price this time. (Have never taken any of my cars for service, always repaired them on my own, often with used parts. Used to drive 50$ rust buckets, and a bicycle for 4 yrs while in college.

It is indeed like a little minivan, but the suspension makes you forget about it when you drive.

I am not a big fan of the dashboard design. The visors are indeed very unusable but i just made an extender from a leather/paper-like college theses books which I have a lot laying around.

The fit overall and especially its wheel are in high demand among thieves. This keeps me worried when I sleep at night and it is parked on the street in LA in a sketchy neighborhood. I installed 3 sets of wheel locks though. (two gorilla locks and one OEM set from honda).

Well in the end, Yaris and Fit are basically brothers. They are both subcompact economical cars which should not be competing with each other, but together going against larger and thirstier gas guzzling SUVs.

By the way, the Fit was my dream car, so even thought I could afford other cars, I just don't need anything else.

I love the gas mileage of this motor, the versatility of the interior, the driving experience, and the expected honda reliability.

Seeing Yarii around still gives me warm and fuzzy feelings and respect for their drivers.

My little review of the fit on fitfreak
Happy you love it.

BTW, I didn't realize Californians pay 9.25% sales tax! No wonder California's about to collapse and part of why so many are leaving. The higher the taxes go, the lower the revenue becomes. It's that simple.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #29
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
BTW, I didn't realize Californians pay 9.25% sales tax! No wonder California's about to collapse and part of why so many are leaving. The higher the taxes go, the lower the revenue becomes. It's that simple.
Ours is about that. The local economy's always circling the drain, and if you work for the State as I do, there are always huge financial problems.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
The Fit is a great car; I hope you enjoy it!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i like the older fits a lot and thought about picking one up but the new ones are ugly

the new ones look like a tiny mini vans. Every time i see one driving by i think tiny Lumina APV

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #32
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
The new Fit does look like a ultra small minivan. I like the looks of last generation a lot better. Before I had purchase a new Yaris, I considered a Nissan Versa and had looked into used Honda Fits. I came close to buying and 07 Fit (base) until learned that Honda had place the gas tank under the driver seat of the Fit. Once I found out where that gas tank was placed on the Honda fit it became a big turn off.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #33
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
Once I found out where that gas tank was placed on the Honda fit it became a big turn off.
Shhhh.. Don't tell them about the secret ejector seat.. Originally designed for James Bond movies, if you are indeed the cause of a serious accident, the gas tank will blow you sky high so you can get out of there quickly before the police come..

If I had a Fit, everytime I bend down to pull the gas release lever I'd also take a moment to kiss my butt goodbye.. Just in case I never get the chance to..

Last edited by Sidicas; 12-28-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #34
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
i like the older fits a lot and thought about picking one up but the new ones are ugly

the new ones look like a tiny mini vans. Every time i see one driving by i think tiny Lumina APV
Oddly enough, the 1st gen looked even more like a minivan that the 2nd gen.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #35
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Have fun pwning us VVT-i folk with your new VTEC powered K20.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #36
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Congrats. Hope ya enjoy it. Don't be a stranger here.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote