Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
Plastic Cleaner

With so much plastic in the Yaris interior I thought I'd mention that I have used this plastic cleaner for many years and have always been very impressed. Works great on the Yaris! I was using some this weekend and thought I'd share.
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
thanks! that's for the inside, though. What do you use on the outside of the Yaris, on the rubber parts around the windshield, etc.?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
A good product for cleaning interior and exterior plastic/rubber/vinyl is Meguiar's #40 cleaner. #40 is great stuff that actually CLEANS the material (look at your cloth when you use it). I don't like the shiny finish from Armor-All and others; #40 cleans the rubber/etc and leaves a nice, like-new appearance. A new set of tires, for example, isn't shiny. Same situation with a plastic dashboard (a call to Meguair's confirms that you can use #40 on plastic) - new plastic, at least in the Yaris, doesn't shine.

I hate to sound like a Meguair's geek (I recommended Scratch-X in another thread), but they really do make good stuff.

Here's a link to the product description at their website: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+RUB+16

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
A good product for cleaning interior and exterior plastic/rubber/vinyl is Meguiar's #40 cleaner. #40 is great stuff that actually CLEANS the material (look at your cloth when you use it). I don't like the shiny finish from Armor-All and others; #40 cleans the rubber/etc and leaves a nice, like-new appearance. A new set of tires, for example, isn't shiny. Same situation with a plastic dashboard (a call to Meguair's confirms that you can use #40 on plastic) - new plastic, at least in the Yaris, doesn't shine.

I hate to sound like a Meguair's geek (I recommended Scratch-X in another thread), but they really do make good stuff.

Here's a link to the product description at their website: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+RUB+16
Thank you. Meguiar's is good stuff and has an excellent reputation (I went to a small shop that does car and bikes restoration, and they highly recommended Meguiars.

I bought a slightly different Meguiars product for the dashboard (safe on plastic, interiors) but it doesn't say anything on the bottle about exterior rubbers, which take far more of a beating than the interior does; I tried it anyway, and it didn't remove much of the stuff my car has accumulated especially in the area under the windshield wipers. So, I'll definitely have a look at your recommendation, thanks.

Other members recommended something called Turtle Ice, have you ever tried that?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I've seen Turtle Ice on the shelf at my local auto parts store, but haven't tried it. While I'm sure Turtle Ice works, at least to a degree, I prefer not to have tons of different products in my garage. Isn't that an "all over the car" kind of product? I'll look it up after posting this, 'cause now I'm curious.

The one thing you can never have too much of in your detailing arsenal is lots of good quality CLEAN towels (both terry and microfiber). Don't be afraid to go through lots of towels - that's what washing machines are for. Don't mix terry and microfiber in the washer, though!

EDIT: After looking at the Turtle Wax website, I wouldn't use Turtle Ice. Few products do everything well, and a product that promises to clean/shine every surface on the car just doesn't do it for me.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)

Last edited by Goose; 08-27-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Roger that, Kevin, thanks. I have no problem staying with Meguiar's. I'd rather have 2 or 3 of the good stuff that works well, than 625 sprays, cans and what not, that I'll never use again.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
RevoluScion

Drives: tC
have you used smartwax products?

Team & Individual Sponsors:
MOTUL - SMARTWAX - K&N - AEM - TOKICO - R1 CONCEPTS - TOYO TIRES - CROSSFIRE - G2 AUTOSPORTS - M2- NRG - MISHIMOTO - ROTORA - VERTICAL DOORS - CLAZZIO - K&R DIGITAL - EURO LIGHTS - 5ZIGEN
we are a family oriented all Toyota brand Car Club! toyota, lexus, yaris & Scion Bienbenidos!!!!
RevoluScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Oh, I just got it...

RevoluScion, you're advertising, aren't ya? Beware that this forum doesn't like unauthorized advertising. You're new, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now you know, soooooooooooooooo.... careful there!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
RevoluScion

Drives: tC
^again my friend the tomato....not advertising...lol...this is too funny.

Team & Individual Sponsors:
MOTUL - SMARTWAX - K&N - AEM - TOKICO - R1 CONCEPTS - TOYO TIRES - CROSSFIRE - G2 AUTOSPORTS - M2- NRG - MISHIMOTO - ROTORA - VERTICAL DOORS - CLAZZIO - K&R DIGITAL - EURO LIGHTS - 5ZIGEN
we are a family oriented all Toyota brand Car Club! toyota, lexus, yaris & Scion Bienbenidos!!!!
RevoluScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Yeah, seeing that you posted the same "smartwax" comment on several posts, and nothing else, ya gotta admit it's an honest mistake on my part, I mean, ya know? Enjoy the forum.