Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #19
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
My best suggestion. Change the oil. I had mine for 5-6 months before I changed mine. Brand new, I was getting around 32mpg. After I changed the oil using a Napa gold filter and castrol oil, I now get 40-42mpg.
That's the second time I have heard that about MPG going up significantly after the first oil change. Brainless Twit said the same thing. What's up with that? Does the factory put in some kind of break-in oil that has the side effect of low MPG?

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Hey voodoo22, don't you have imperial gallons in Canada?
Haha, we do, but I never use them. I use litres per 100 km's as I find it the best way to understand how much gas you're using.

For example. I averaged 8 l/100km in my bmw and I have averaged 5l/100km so far in our Yaris. I know I'm saving 3 litres of gas a day for my 104 km commute and using regular instead of premium.

I hate how the dealerships here use imperial gallons to advertise

and I try to post in US MPG because that seems to make the most sense to people in the US.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
Voodoo’s numbers for mph versus mpg are about correct. Mine are a little lower because I have a 5-speed with different gearing so my rpm’s are higher and it is thirstier. Theoretically I should be able to get better mileage than an automatic but Voodoo is not going to let me prove that point easily.

My first tank, filled at the dealer I got 38 mpg. The only lower one was driving with a loaded car at 9 mph over the speed limit (around 80 mph), I got 36.3 mpg. But, I have always tried for good mileage and drive accordingly.

I have noticed 3 ‘break-in’ mileage jumps so far, ~2,000 miles, ~7,500 miles and ~10,000 miles. Each one gave me a bump of about 2 mpg. I could see the difference earlier than tank fill-up as I have always had a Scan gauge in my Yaris. I hear there is another jump at 15,000 – 20,000 miles, I have 12,000 on it now.

I did not notice a difference in the 5,000 mile oil change, maybe because the dealer did it? The 10,000 mile jump I am attributing to going with 5w-20 synthetic oil and filter.

You are right in the range with 33 mpg for your new Yaris, give it time as you learn to drive it for efficiency not power or speed. As stated many times before in many threads, the best thing you can do to get better mileage is adjust your driving habits. You have to be serious about wanting great mileage to actually get it. You will be able to get upper 30’s to mid 40’s with minimal effort or change to your driving habits, higher mileages come with more effort and concentration.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1207 View Post
I carelessly forgot I should not drive more than 65 for new car at the first 3000 miles......I drove 80 mph....=___= probably it's the reason I got lower mpg....
second tank of fuel, i spent more time to drive local and to the dealer...which is only half hour driving.....

Can someone tell me what does break in mean? I check dictionary and still don't understand.....
Okay so you've figured out speeding negetively impacts MPG. Slow down.

Check your tire pressure and make sure its at least the same as the value on the drivers door jam. Others will suggest than you inflate to the Tires maximum pressure rating, but I don't recommend doing so to a persistent speeder. BTW turn the engine off once you get pulled over by the traffic police. This will also improve MPG

Remove all the personal stuff from the car which you didn't need to carry. Added Weight also reduces MPG.

Besides the engine, the automatic transmission needs to break in as well. Hopefully you didn't mash the gas while you were violating posted speed limits as harsh shifts rather than firm smooth shifts will remove more fiction materials from the internal bands and clutches of the transmission.

If you notice the shift into reverse has a louder "thud" now than when the car was new, chances are you removed more of the friction material during the break in period than was needed. This won't hurt the transmission but you get the knowledge that the loudness of the reverse shift was mosting your doing for the next 150,000 miles or until transmission rebuild which ever comes first.

Don't feel bad. I let my wife drive my 2009 3DR manual transmission Yaris last Saturday. She managed to burn off at least 20,000 miles of clutch on a 6 mile trip. Of course in her view its clearly the inadequacy of the car. We won't be repeating the experience any time soon. She'd wearout the automatic just the same.

At the moment my wife is driving a large idiot proof 3500 dually pickup. Totally overbuilt hardware, but she won't get hurt too badly and the 4X4 suspension helps keep her speed under control too. Driving too fast rips the steering wheel from her hands over the country roads. She has not put it in the ditch yet so I think (hope) she's learning.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
[QUOTE=Woody_Woodchuck;327898] Mine are a little lower because I have a 5-speed with different gearing so my rpm’s are higher and it is thirstier. QUOTE]

the 5 speed rpm's arent much higher, and i believe are more than offset by parasitic losses in the auto. most people i see getting the highest mileage (highway or otherwise) are 5 speed drivers time and time again. there is a pretty good sample of drivers here. the 5 speed drivers average 38.8 mpg whereas the automatic drivers average 4 mpg less than that. all in all, i think most drivers who post on fueleconomy.gov are conscientious of their driving styles.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Yaris

Last edited by roxy1; 06-01-2009 at 08:32 PM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #24
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
That's the second time I have heard that about MPG going up significantly after the first oil change. Brainless Twit said the same thing. What's up with that? Does the factory put in some kind of break-in oil that has the side effect of low MPG?

Tom
Tom

I don't think it is just the first oil change, I think it is also the fact that it occurs around the 5,000 mile point and that is about the same time the engine finally breaks in.

For example, I just got my first oil change last month, and was averaging 34-35 MPG. I got gas the next day, and it jumped to 37 MPG! I have gone through one more tank and it has gone up a little more to 37.5 MPG.

I'm very happy about this increase, I am very light on the throttle in my auto but the larger, wides tires definitely steal some of my MPG. I am finally getting the mileage I had hoped for in this car, and won't mind if it gets even a little better!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Tom

I don't think it is just the first oil change, I think it is also the fact that it occurs around the 5,000 mile point and that is about the same time the engine finally breaks in.

For example, I just got my first oil change last month, and was averaging 34-35 MPG. I got gas the next day, and it jumped to 37 MPG! I have gone through one more tank and it has gone up a little more to 37.5 MPG.

I'm very happy about this increase, I am very light on the throttle in my auto but the larger, wides tires definitely steal some of my MPG. I am finally getting the mileage I had hoped for in this car, and won't mind if it gets even a little better!

Cheers! M2
Thanks, Max. Hope I have the same experience that you and some others have had with the nice increases in MPG at 5K miles. I'm not unhappy with the 37 MPG I am already getting, but if it goes up, I won't complain.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #26
LittleRed
LittleRed

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1207 View Post
Hi everyone,

I got my yaris a week ago. It is now 600 miles in total, I filled two time gas.
I divided my total mileage by the total gallon of gas I filled, I only got 33.x MPG in average. My car only come with 7 miles so it should affect a lot in calculation of average mpg.

I saw everyone here have a mpg above 35 and many of them have it close to 40 or even more...

Can anyone tell me why please?
How can I have a mpg like that?
The mpg of 09 yaris is 29 local and 35 highway.... How can all you guys have it more than 35....><????
You have to give it a chance to break-in...you mpg will go up..i know if i use 87 octane the performance and milage decrease and it dont idle as smoothly, as opposed to 91 octane..which it runs perfect on....i get 40+ with the a/c on most of the time
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #27
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
i get 40+ with the a/c on most of the time
So will mine, driving steadily out on the highway. But different driving situations will make a big difference. Stop and go driving wastes a lot of energy. Wind has a big effect. On average you won't come close to gaining back from tailwinds what you lose to headwinds. And as you drive faster, your aerodynamic drag goes up roughly as the square of your speed. Headwinds and crosswinds affect you far more as you drive faster. Your local terrain will have an effect, too. You'll never do as well in hilly country as on the flatlands. You burn more gas climbing hills than you save coasting down them.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
i know if i use 87 octane the performance and milage decrease and it dont idle as smoothly, as opposed to 91 octane..which it runs perfect on....i get 40+ with the a/c on most of the time
seriously...it would behoove you to do some research and read up on the many octane threads on this board lest you continue to embarrass yourself with comments like this.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
You'll never do as well in hilly country as on the flatlands. You burn more gas climbing hills than you save coasting down them.
Tell me about it, takes me about 1.25 tanks to get to Pittsburgh from D.C, and only bit more than half on the return trip. Damn mountains.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
toyo

Drives: toyota
yeah after 5k miles you should get better mpg
Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #31
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I have yet to get below 35.5mpg on my 2009. Most tanks have been 38mpg, and that is with VERY mixed driving.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #32
Ginniblu
Polar White is Alright!

Drives: 2009 Polar White 3dr Liftback
I just found this forum. I have had my Yaris for a whopping 2 days! I love it!
Ginniblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #33
blazing blue

Drives: 08 yaris
I have an 08 yaris with auto, lowered with 18" and I drive pretty conservatively and get only about 25 mpg, what gives...could someone please give me some insight on this.
blazing blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #34
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing blue View Post
I have an 08 yaris with auto, lowered with 18" and I drive pretty conservatively and get only about 25 mpg, what gives...could someone please give me some insight on this.
18 inch rims are killing you.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I got my best MPG in a while. Two people, took out the sub though, AC some of the time.... Total was a 90mile trip mostly highway. And I got like 34MPG.

Here in NYC, even long island in general, almsto every two blocks is a stop sign or street light. And the highways.... oh my god... you know what, I will prove to everyone what I drive through every day, and maybe everyone will see why I average 27-30MPG.
http://www.trafficland.com/city/NYC/
Click on all the highway traffic cameras during different times of the day. So our highways are NOT always free and easy flowing.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote