Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
brycedudley

Drives: 07 Silver Sedan
best performance mod for your $$$

i don't know alot about car's and will probably have to have whatever performance mod's done by a shop... but i am just wondering what i should get that is going to get me the most power/speed gain for my $$$. any suggestions?
brycedudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
That would probably be nitrous. However, you can do major damage if you don't know how to use it properly.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
coilovers...
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
X2
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I would have to say a MI sticker
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Coilovers aren't going to improve speed or power, they're going to improve handling. (which is great, but not what the poster asked)

Best bang/buck speed improvement = removing weight.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
My car seemed a lot quicker when my rear set was out and that mod was free but if you want to buy something get an Underdrive Pulley from NST you can also get them from Garm at MI
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
MiniTRD
it's the MiniTRD

Drives: 2009 Polar White 3dr Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to MiniTRD
start with a lightened NST crank pulley. you'll rev up faster which means you'll go a little quicker
http://www.norcalcarstyle.com/minitrd/
MiniTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
I would say the Fuel Map Controller, however I don't have any dyno result, so my 2nd priority is the Throttler Controller
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
My car seemed a lot quicker when my rear set was out and that mod was free but if you want to buy something get an Underdrive Pulley from NST you can also get them from Garm at MI
You'll be faster if you remove the rear seats for sure..but only for those who don't need to carry more than 1 passenger.
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
subscribed
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
You can also start the weight reductions else where. If you don't mind the excessive noise, you can remove the carpeting and the sound insulation, and also remove the spare tire and tools and instead, carry a AAA membership card.

The lightened pulleys will also help you decelerate quicker too.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Best bang for your buck is to go on a diet reducing the total weight of your car when you are sitting in it thus making it handle better and go faster
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
I would have to say a MI sticker
not sure someone in OH would want a sticker of MI, lol ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Coilovers aren't going to improve speed or power, they're going to improve handling. (which is great, but not what the poster asked)

Best bang/buck speed improvement = removing weight.
ya, i know what he meant. id say intake, really. can get a cheapy off of ebay and slap a k&n filter on it.....a few more horses, a nice noise. its win win

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
subscribed
you know you can just choose to subscribe to the thread at the top of any page, under thread tools, right?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
jouna

Drives: jdm yaris sedan
make ur own intake with pvc pipes remove the vacum hose put a 10k potenciometer in the temp. sensor and voila. ur a lil bit faster
Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
AFE intake.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
guys on camaro forums and mustang forums are removing excess threads from bolts throughout the car. every bolt that is longer than it needs to be just cut it off with a grinder or sawzall.

most removed an average weight of around 45lbs...not including the dust that came off from saws or cutters.

another option is carbon fiber...it's cheap if you know what you're doing. otherwise, pay someone else to do it. hatch, hood, door skins...anything not safety or stucture related can be easily made of CF. hoods/hatches need to have break-away sections.

lexan is another option if you dont mind scratches...i guess you could put some clear 3m sheets on it to prevent scratches like the racers do. rear windows and hatch are legal, not the fronts or windshield are illegal in all 50 states tho.

every 100hp is about .1 seconds in the 1/4
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
lol... lets spend 40 hours pulling insulation and extra threads off of bolts to save 2 pounds. THEN lets spend a buttload of money getting lexan and cf and save a total of 50 lbs(if that - on my sedan the hood and trunk lid weigh almost nothing, the windows are just as light). I would do an A/C delete before lexan windows.

Remove your rear seats and spare tire, and call it a day. If you were at the point where anything else would help, you wouldn't be here asking questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
every 100hp is about .1 seconds in the 1/4
So if I add 1000 hp I'll finally pull a 17? sweet!

I think you meant pounds, and then your formula only holds true for a very narrow range... I think a 1300 lb yaris with 100 hp will do slightly faster than mid 16s
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote