Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I was curious...

And my curiosity found something. So just a few moments ago I tried to look on the Dodge Ram owners forum to see if they have any stories about running a few Yaris's off the road(Yeah it sounds stupid but you know it happens to you, got someone in the big vehicle with a big ego). Which luckily they didn't, but I did find something else.

There was a thread that said "The dodge ram outhauls/pulls Toyota, Ford, and Chevy" so I watched the first video and it's of a Dodge Ram and a Tundra...so they do a "tug of war" contest to see which one is more powerful. And that would be great...except the Tundra isn't even in gear. If you listen closely you can hear the engine of the Tundra revving, but you don't see any resistance at all when the Ram starts pulling. And everyone in the thread that watched these videos never pointed that out, and I honestly sit here thinking..."How thick can you guys be?" They all say "Wow, great videos! I love them all!".

Now, I have nothing against Dodge or Ram's, (apart from one guy who pulled a gun on me while driving one but that's a different story) but when you don't even give the opposing truck a chance...you're just being an idiot.

Here's the thread for you all to see what i'm talking about: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56625
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
did you post? I will if you will.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Black_griffin6

I'm obviously not a member there so no. XD I don't own or really have an interest in a Ram.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
ya... wouldn't the tires spin like in the other vid?(chevy vs dodge). Also on dirt, the tires on the truck make a big difference.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Black_griffin6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
ya... wouldn't the tires spin like in the other vid?(chevy vs dodge). Also on dirt, the tires on the truck make a big difference.
Exactly. The tires would be spinning and the result would take a lot longer then that.
And I also believe that the Ram that they used in that video was in fact a diesel if you listen closely. They should use petrol vs. petrol anyway.
But maybe it just sounded that way to me.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I've seen the video. Certainly fake. Even if the Dodge had won, anyone that knows anything about the 5.7L Tundra, knows all 4 wheels of the Tundra would be burnin' and churnin'....not just rolling backwards as the truck moves. The Tundra has more than enough power to break loose it's wheels in 4 wheel drive mode.

Video ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmcg8sU_6hk
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Dodge Rams are beasts and so are Tundras

it would be a violent display if they were comparing apples/apples
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
I don't know what it is about Ram drivers, but I started a recent thread illustrating how lame they really are:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28523
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQcJuvK73E

End of story. lmao at their falseness.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
There are 2 keys to a tug-o-war contest:

#1) Traction is king. A 100hp vehicle with traction can pull a 500hp vehicle around with no traction all day long. Traction is gained by the appropriate tire on a particular surface and the right amount of weight on the drive axle or axles. Typically the more weight the better. Bottom line? Once your wheels are spinning we've got little traction.

#2) Torque...particularly low-end torque is much more important than peak horsepower.

The Cummins turbo diesel in the Dodge has, not just more torque, but more torque at a lower rpm. That engine generates well in excess of 500 ft lbs of torque at less than 2000 rpm. The 5.7L I-Force is quite an engine, but torque is 401 ft lbs at 3600 rpm.

So, if the Dodge as even a small traction advantage (or the traction is even) it will pull the Tundra via it's superior torque. However, under the right circumstances, the Tundra would have no trouble pulling the Ram if it had the traction advantage.

Put some very grippy tires on the Tundra (depending on the surface) and a 1000 pounds of ballast in the bed and the outcome may favor the Tundra.

At the end of the day, tug-o-war contests don't prove much unless everything except the engines are equal. But they are fun to watch.

However, I think we can all agree that the video is clearly a fake. The Tundra would go down scratching and clawing and making a hell of a racket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQcJuvK73E

End of story. lmao at their falseness.
This video is a good example of traction. I've know doubt that the 5.7L I-Force in the Tundra is vastly stronger (both in hp and torque) than the 5.9 V8 that's probably in the Ram. But traction won this contest. Once the Dodge's wheels are spinning the game is over. Notice the Tundra's lack of wheel spin. The Tundra's superior torque was just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Billiam; 07-07-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
did you post? I will if you will.
Heh, lets all gang up on em!