Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation Bomz Ebay Intake - Partial Review

story:
tonight i attempted to install a bomz ebay intake. i previously had a simota CAI which i converted to a short-ram since i couldn't fit the elbow to bend it down without squishing it which i felt would restrict airflow. Apparently cold air intakes only fit the hatchback and not the sedan. This bomz cold air intake was no different.

fitment:
looks like it fits the exact same way any single pipe brand name cold air intake fits, AEM, Fujita, Injen etc.. except it looks like it has weird extra brackets weld to it maybe to hook on to other brackets, or places you can tie strap wires to? or maybe different yaris models or other scion products that use the same motor have stuff like barometric sensors that might go on here. I don't know. I couldn't install this intake into my car because it looks like the sedan is a bit different than the hatchback as far as i can tell.

quality:
the intake itself looks like the same thick sturdy aluminum most intakes are made from. same quality as the Simota i had, probably just as good as the AEM products i've used in the past. welds look good, bends look smooth.

filter:
element looks like K&N material, but is blue.. and the shape is like an apexi with the top of the filter having a inward facing section to suck air in from all sides. I ended up putting this filter on my simota intake and now i have a CEL. I didn't disconnect the battery, so i'm not sure what the story is, but if i had to guess i'm thinking this filter causes more turbulence, and since my intake is so short it causes a CEL.

bottom line: a cheap alternative to any other CAI that again only fits the hatchback and not the sedan. weird unncessary brackets welded onto it, but no biggie. since i wasnt able to fit it for the same reason i couldn't fit my simota CAI, i can't guarantee fitment, performance, sound, etc. I can just tell people that the pipe looks good.

picture:

Last edited by Split; 11-18-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: edit: to include picture
Split is offline   Reply With Quote