Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2006, 01:27 AM   #19
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Im not bashing at all cause I tried the same damn thing with whatever I could find at home depot... that was over winter last year. That MAF sensor location is a real POS, molded into the box, not like everything else. I tried moulding a mount with Fiberglass over the PVC but got a little too liberal with the Fiberglass, its a great option if you got the time and patience.

The ONLY place ive seen an adapter for this type of MAF sensor was in MAX Power magazine from the UK. A company called Pipercross (who actually direct ship to Canada and the US) has a kit for the Corolla that comes with the adapter. Ive contacted them regarding buying the adapter seperate of the kit but got no response. You can try their website here
http://www.pipercrossdirect.com/sear...yota&x=30&y=12

Vibrant in Canada also has a 3" ID to 2" ID silicone reducer that would work perfect for this and its $12 Can.

Im also in the process of building my own intake using an old kit I had lying around for my old Neon. I need to setup the MAF sensor mount in CAD and drop it off at the CNC shop here and itll be done, but its been cold and Im too friggin lazy at this point.
I should actually price this out if anyone is interested in getting one. Either a stand-alone mount or welded to a 2.5-3" aluminum tube.

Excellent job in the ingenuity department btw! Im all for 'build it yourself'

Please post up any progress...
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:16 AM   #20
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
sad attempt at humor:

for all you guys who think PVC wont stand up to the heat... I see some HOT HOT HOT PVC here: http://www.googlegirls.za.net/babes/...n-pvc-plastic/
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #21
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
Im not bashing at all cause I tried the same damn thing with whatever I could find at home depot... that was over winter last year. That MAF sensor location is a real POS, molded into the box, not like everything else. I tried moulding a mount with Fiberglass over the PVC but got a little too liberal with the Fiberglass, its a great option if you got the time and patience.

The ONLY place ive seen an adapter for this type of MAF sensor was in MAX Power magazine from the UK. A company called Pipercross (who actually direct ship to Canada and the US) has a kit for the Corolla that comes with the adapter. Ive contacted them regarding buying the adapter seperate of the kit but got no response. You can try their website here
http://www.pipercrossdirect.com/sear...yota&x=30&y=12

Vibrant in Canada also has a 3" ID to 2" ID silicone reducer that would work perfect for this and its $12 Can.

Im also in the process of building my own intake using an old kit I had lying around for my old Neon. I need to setup the MAF sensor mount in CAD and drop it off at the CNC shop here and itll be done, but its been cold and Im too friggin lazy at this point.
I should actually price this out if anyone is interested in getting one. Either a stand-alone mount or welded to a 2.5-3" aluminum tube.

Excellent job in the ingenuity department btw! Im all for 'build it yourself'

Please post up any progress...
I think I have a good idea on how to mount the MAF properly just using a short piece of piping mounted into the PVC, and tapered on the inside so that it doesnt stick out into the way of airflow.

What is "vibrant"? Should be 3" to 2.5" correct? The readily available 3" rubber coupler will compress down around the 2.5" MAF, I think, but I'm just not sure if I would have full confidence in the seal.

I think the next step with the next revision willbe to remove the old airbox bracket and get the intake down there, the pipe shouldnt be too long, and the bend shouldnt be too harsh. The design I have in my head at least would make it seem pretty easy :)

Yea I'm definitely a DIY guy! Its much more fun to DIY, and in the end it may take more work to achieve your goals, but getting there is all the fun :)
Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Vibrant is a canadian parts company dealing mostly in exhaust and intercoolers and associated parts. They have great products and people.

http://www.vibrantperformance.com/

As far as the reducer you may want to actually measure it, I bought a 2.5" (might have been 2.25") reducer and it was quite a bit too large for the TB.

Maybe I could post pics of my setup as it sits on the basement floor....
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #23
Notthy[Yaris/S]07

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman
I wanted to keep the $ as low as possible, and make returning to stock as easy as possible before I invested on an intake... I figured it would be worth it, but better safe than sorry!

Its an APC filter from autozone, now that I see the results with this one, when I rebuild the intake I'll trade this one up for an AEM.

My major issue is mounting the MAF??? Any suggestions? I poked around home depot for at least an hour, and I couldnt find anything entirely suitable to securely mount it. Right now I just drilled a hole in the PVC and jammed it in there, its not even a good seal as it stands, hence the duct tape.

Total cost, approx $35, being generous :)

Awesome results! The top speed is something that I can put a number on, before it was a struggle to get past 105, directly after, 110 took about the same amount of time. With a switch to mobil premium gas, I got it up to 115 today on the same stretch I got to 110 on last time and couldnt get past 105 on before (i had actually tried for longer distances to get past 105 on the stock setup), between 2 highway exits, they are approx (using mapquest map) 1.5 miles apart. Approx 1-1.25 mile to get up to 115 :).

Other than that, its tough to say exactly what it did. It "feels" faster, and I can without a doubt feel the extra kick in the top end.

I earlier posted about a loss of torque, but after driving it around some more... i think it might just br the big boost in the top end making it "feel" weaker down low.

I also have a magnaflow muffler on the stock piping, and it really didnt do much, but I think combined with the intake it made a big difference.

For its purposes, even my ugly/cheap/ghetto setup works great - the biggest difference is passing on the highway, its alot easier now.

I plan to redo it out of one solid piece of PVC and paint it. I've bent PVC before and all it takes is a good amount of heat.

Looks Awsome and its a great idea i think make that job
Tanabe NF2210 Suspension
Two AudioPipe 12 Inches for Bass with 1000 Watts Amp BOSS
17 Inches Rims
Ground Wire
Notthy[Yaris/S]07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #24
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Looks nice.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #25
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthy[Yaris/S]07
Looks Awsome and its a great idea i think make that job
me avisas cuando lo hagas pq toy loko por uno
Old 11-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #26
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
Vibrant is a canadian parts company dealing mostly in exhaust and intercoolers and associated parts. They have great products and people.

http://www.vibrantperformance.com/

As far as the reducer you may want to actually measure it, I bought a 2.5" (might have been 2.25") reducer and it was quite a bit too large for the TB.

Maybe I could post pics of my setup as it sits on the basement floor....
Go for it - pics are good! :)

I'll yank the stock piping off later today, and have a measure. I have all the materials available to get it done tonight, which I just might do.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #27
spkrman
Banned

the intake let me get from 169 km/h to 185 km/h... that sounds so much more impressive lol...

Now I know why everywhere else goes by KM/H :)

125mph or 200km/h, which would you have?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #28
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I like it... ghetto, but effective

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #29
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Me like, looks ooooooooooooo

i cant wait until i save enough money for a AEM Intake :)
Old 11-29-2006, 12:38 AM   #30
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
I like it... ghetto, but effective
that it is :)
Old 11-29-2006, 12:39 AM   #31
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
Me like, looks ooooooooooooo

i cant wait until i save enough money for a AEM Intake :)
i considered buying an AEM intake, or something along those lines.. but wow $200+ for something I spent $30 on to replicate. I'll put in some time/fun and get the same/better results :)

The AEM is pretty sweet though.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 AM   #32
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman
i considered buying an AEM intake, or something along those lines.. but wow $200+ for something I spent $30 on to replicate. I'll put in some time/fun and get the same/better results :)

The AEM is pretty sweet though.
I heard good things abour AEM, though if a similar item does the same job and its cheaper, why not get that one.

Though im just buying the brand name
Old 11-29-2006, 01:42 AM   #33
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
I heard good things abour AEM, though if a similar item does the same job and its cheaper, why not get that one.

Though im just buying the brand name
yea, the AEM filter looks real nice, its readily available here for $50. The piping, which isnt even complex, is what costs so much.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 AM   #34
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
hey sprman how about a DIY guide :-), if not then how about a parts list and tube size+length

great job

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:30 AM   #35
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
hey sprman how about a DIY guide :-), if not then how about a parts list and tube size+length

great job
I don't feel the current design is worthy of a DIY guide - it will be once I build the whole thing up :)

Cost outside of the filter should still be around 10 bux :)
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #36
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
sweetness, as for the MAF i was thinking something like plastic weld and a "nicely" made bracket, just a thought.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote