Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
Head Liner / Ink removal

Being her careless self, my wife just accidently put a 6 inch pen mark on my head liner. As she was getting out of the car she had a pen without it's top sticking out of her purse. Well the purse and pen hit the head liner while she was getting out and left a nice ink line on my head liner. SO.... I called the local toyota parts department to inquire on the cost of a replacement head liner. You'll never guess how much he quoted me .... $1000. Yes, that's a thousand dollars. "Well sir, it's just not a piece of cloth, it's a complete panel you have to replace", he said. Well that is out of the question.

My next question, is what ya'lls suggestion would be to get the ink out without smearing it and even drawing more attention to it? It just makes me sick when I look up and see it. Things like this drive me crazy. Help my sanity by helping get that damn ink out !!
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
ball point or rollar ball?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
One solution for this problem.....Divorce...so that way she learns....jk
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
bikegerm

Ball point ink... Divorce is not an option. I couldn't afford my car payment without her !! I just think I'll make her drive the Mazda all the time !!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Ball Point Pens are a waxed based type ink. First, blot the area with a clean cloth then using the edge of a butter knife scrape any leftovers. Spray with WD-40 and let it stand for a minute or two. Using a small brush (old tooth brush), work it in and then wipe the area with paper towels. Respray with WD-40 and apply liquid dishwashing detergent on the sprayed area. Work them in with the brush and then wipe the stain away with a damp sponge. Just repeat until gone.

Just incase it happens with a roller ball, this might help as well.

Blot the area to remove any standing ink but probably won't have any there. Spray a small amount of hairspray on the stain and let it sit a few minutes. Take clean dry towels and wipe the area. Repeat as needed but use the minimum amount of cleaner necessary. Change your wiping cloths frequently to prevent spreading the material from cross contamination. Rubbing alcohol can also be used to clean ink on car upholstery. Dip a cotton swab into the alcohol and apply it only on the actual ink stained area. Then wipe with a clean cloth.

I'm a pen collector and pens are one of my biggest hobbies. Hope this helps. On a daily basis, I carry about 2 to 3 fountain pens on me at all times so stains are a common for me....add in a 4 year old and that common becomes higher lol
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
According to this dude, he was able to take the ink off using OxiClean: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/det...tml#post556008
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
bikegerm

KCALB.... you da' man !! Thanks for your insight with ink. When you come to Nashville for the IA, I'll fix you a plate of BBQ at Mike's for your help !!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegerm View Post
KCALB.... you da' man !! Thanks for your insight with ink. When you come to Nashville for the IA, I'll fix you a plate of BBQ at Mike's for your help !!
lol, no problem you might want to even try to pull up some of the piles on the liner if it isn't too deep and snip them off one at a time. A little time comsuming, but better than $1000
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
wonder if it'll work with coffee stains?
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
wonder if it'll work with coffee stains?
I've heard white vinegar is your friend with a little dish soap. not sure on the exact procedure on both but my guess would be same process, blot area as much as you can, then with a clean towel, work the vinegar in, blot dry and then warm/cold dish soap it. I'm not a coffee drinker
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I'm not a coffee drinker
Blasphemy!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください