Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
SO I washed my car for the second time in two days, but today is because its my first time ever waxing the car. My 07 Yaris was just painted over maybe a month and a half ago? Maybe two? So I thought its time to keep it fresh and clean unlike before( three years + of not a single wax!!)

Well, my god what a difference when I waxed it. I used Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax, and applied it to sections of the car with a soft applicator, and let it sit for maybe 10-15minutes and started to take it off with a nice cloth.

I was like WOW to how SMOOTH the surface is now. I mean I can touch anything and my hands just slides on the car. I use a cloth on the car and it seems to slide like nothing!

Anyway... so its nice, its not really shinny like some people have stated with their products, but this did the job, and it did it well.

Maybe someone can tell me a wax that will bring out the color more, or just make it more shinny? I was at the store, and I was holding this $20 box of wax, dont know what it had inside other then a bottle, and it was something NX ice I dont know, then I saw the $8.49 bottle of Meguiar's carnauba wax and I was sold. Maybe this was the wrong decision? Or was I good on my part this time?

maybe someone could also tell me if its bad to wax the car about 2-5 times before it snows, maybe once a week, just to make sure the salt from this pot hole and bump ridden city doesn't damage this car anymore.

THANKS!!
(edit, I remember my friend at a detailing shop used a "special formula" which he wouldnt share nor give me/anyone, and any time you passed your finger on his Porshe, it felt like it was repelling you, it was that smooth. I wonder how he accomplished this? Maybe mixing together different brands of wax? Letting it sit ont he car longer? Applying a ton of it?)
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #20
vboy127

Drives: 2002 Honda Civic Si
I really like Meguiars wax. They're the better waxes that you can get off the shelf imo. I've heard good things about Zymol and mothers as well. I use Meguiars NXT as a sealant coat. Brings a good, reflective, "glass like" shine to the paint. However, If you want the "deeper" shine in your paint, I suggest sealing with something like the NXT, then apply a second coat with good carnauba wax (I use S100, love their products!) Oh, and if you have a black car, use Meguiars Gold Class instead of the NXT, I've had better results with it on my Nighthawk Black Pearl Civic.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #21
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
If you want something ot bring out the color try gold class or nxt depending. If you have a black or red car use gold class any other color use nxt.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Lafiro

I have the Pacific Blue Metallic. Alright, too bad the leaves are falling and the ran got to the car this morning, right after I did this. But I will take a picture.

So its a good idea then to wax the car with the NXT 2.0 stuff? And then use the Carnauba wax I got?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
db662

Drives: 2010 yaris
I've usually had dark cars all my life and now the Yaris is pretty dark too (Carmine Red). I've used Malco, Tops All, Meguires, and Turtle Ice all with amazing results. Turtle Ice is good to use as the last step because it will remove any of the powedery residue from some of the other polishes/waxes.
db662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #24
vboy127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I have the Pacific Blue Metallic. Alright, too bad the leaves are falling and the ran got to the car this morning, right after I did this. But I will take a picture.

So its a good idea then to wax the car with the NXT 2.0 stuff? And then use the Carnauba wax I got?

Thanks for the responses.
Pacific Blue Metallic is a pretty light color. I would go with the NXT. Um, i don't know how much Carnauba is actually in the Megs deep crystal, but if it's a high percentage then it will look good over the NXT coat. The reason you apply the NXT first is because it is better at sealing the paint, plus it will last a good amount of time (over a month give or take) as a opposed to only a pure carnauba wax which looks good with a "deeper" shine, but lasts only about 3 weeks or less. Thats why you use both. You get the longer protection of a sealant with the deep shine of carnauba. If theres any way you can attain it locally, I recommed S100 pure carnauba wax. Its originally made for motorcycles, but works just as well on cars... and goodness does it work well!

Oh and one more thing. When applying multiple coats of wax, it's good to let the first coat cure completely (in the case of Megs NXT, it's 24 hours) then apply your second coat.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #25
Lafiro

Sounds good, thanks, I will get a bottle of the NXT, and I will look for the S100 carnauba wax. I will Apply the NXT then the carnauba wax a few times in a weeks span(assuming it isnt raining)

But I will assume that I will have to washthe car before each time, concidering I do drive it every day, I cant just let it sit in the garage for 24hours and reapply another coat, I wish I could do that.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^ definitely wash the car before you apply another coat of wax, otherwise, you'll scratch your new paint by rubbing stuff into the paint when you apply wax and buff it off, but use something very gentle to wash the car, like Meguiar's car shampoo.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #27
vboy127

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
^ definitely wash the car before you apply another coat of wax, otherwise, you'll scratch your new paint by rubbing stuff into the paint when you apply wax and buff it off, but use something very gentle to wash the car, like Meguiar's car shampoo.
^^^^^^
What he said. Megs Gold Class car wash here. Using a proper car wash soap does wonders. It won't eat away at your previous waxes and it has lubricants that allow dirt and whatnot to be wiped off without scratching the clearcoat. May I add that the two bucket method with a microfiber or sheepskin wash mitt will even further prevent damage to your paint. :)

Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #28
Lafiro

I use some car wash with carnauba wax in it, supposedly. It smells alright too LOL, and thats the exact wash mit I have, except a darker blue!

So I will wash the car, apply, NXT, wait 24 hours, wash the car again, and apply my Maguiar's wax, wait 24hours or a week, washe again, and apply the wax again.

Soung good? Or can I skip washing the car between the NXT and the first coating of wax assuming the car isnt taken out from the garage during those 24 hours?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #29
vboy127

Quote:
I use some car wash with carnauba wax in it, supposedly. It smells alright too LOL, and thats the exact wash mit I have, except a darker blue!

So I will wash the car, apply, NXT, wait 24 hours, wash the car again, and apply my Maguiar's wax, wait 24hours or a week, washe again, and apply the wax again.

Soung good? Or can I skip washing the car between the NXT and the first coating of wax assuming the car isnt taken out from the garage during those 24 hours?

Wait, you've got 3 coats of wax. The NXT counts as one of the coats.
So:
Wash car>Dry>Apply Megs NXT>Allow Nxt to cure for at least 24 hours>Depending how dirty your car got within those 24 hours you can either wash your car again OR just clean it up real quick with some quick detailing spray and a microfiber cloth. If the car was just sitting in the garage for the 24 hrs, just go to the next step or dust quickly with a microfiber cloth. > Apply Carnauba wax. And youre done.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #30
Lafiro

Only washed and did the wax two days ago. Alright your idea sounds perfect. I will wait a few days because of all this rain from Ida, its on and off here very light, but by no means any condition to be making the car look nice. My goal isnt just to make it look good/feel silky smooth, but to protect it all I can from salt and crap during this upcoming winter. Of coarse I will be waxing it during the winter just not that often, atleast I do have a spot at my dads other place, indoor garage hooked up to hot and cold inside, so I can wash the car with warm water during the winter. It rocks! (big building so the water never ever runs out)

Oh, can I wax my rims? I notice the paint is slowly now fading/missing from rock hits. And stupid me left them on all winter last year, causing my to spin out a few times, once causing light damage to the undercarriage. Bad idea as the color never looked the same on them again (black)
Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #31
vboy127

Quote:
Only washed and did the wax two days ago. Alright your idea sounds perfect. I will wait a few days because of all this rain from Ida, its on and off here very light, but by no means any condition to be making the car look nice. My goal isnt just to make it look good/feel silky smooth, but to protect it all I can from salt and crap during this upcoming winter. Of coarse I will be waxing it during the winter just not that often, atleast I do have a spot at my dads other place, indoor garage hooked up to hot and cold inside, so I can wash the car with warm water during the winter. It rocks! (big building so the water never ever runs out)

Oh, can I wax my rims? I notice the paint is slowly now fading/missing from rock hits. And stupid me left them on all winter last year, causing my to spin out a few times, once causing light damage to the undercarriage. Bad idea as the color never looked the same on them again (black)
Thats a really good idea. Winter prep is crucial, especially in places with a decent amount of snow, meaning road salt! The winters out here in Utah can get pretty crazy so it's good to keep the paint protected. Thats awesome with how you can wash your car at your dad's place. I don't really get too many chances to wash my car during the winter. lol, but when the sun does come out and the temps warm up a tad, I grasp the opportunity! But, it's all good, cuz when Spring-time comes around I give my car a full basic detail. Get her all spiffyed up for the warm season.

Huh, what kinda wheels are they? Normally a decent quality wheel shouldn't fade that easily through one winter. Nonetheless, yes, you can wax your wheels, it will provide some protection to an extent. OR, you could repaint those suckers. lol
Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #32
Lafiro

lol, yeah, the wheels I got 3+years ago, are ADR Model Flite 4. 17"

I believe they are nice, but they are heavy :( I should weight them. I will when I take them off and compare them to the stock wheel. Then I will compare MPG.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #33
vboy127

Quote:
lol, yeah, the wheels I got 3+years ago, are ADR Model Flite 4. 17"

I believe they are nice, but they are heavy :( I should weight them. I will when I take them off and compare them to the stock wheel. Then I will compare MPG.
Go with some light weight 14s with some 175 tires, THEN compare the gas mileage with the 17s. lol
Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #34
Lafiro

Ok so today I did the NXT 2.0 on my dads car and mine. Both came out shinny, his a bit more then mine.

But neither came out smooth to the touch(silky that is).

Maybe its because this is only meant to be a protector/shinny product that reflects water good? And usualy those are never smooth to the touch?

Is that ok, or did they mess up and come out bad because it was a VERY humid day?

Please let me know before I do the Carnauba wax, if I have to wax is again with the NXT.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #35
vboy127

Quote:
Ok so today I did the NXT 2.0 on my dads car and mine. Both came out shinny, his a bit more then mine.

But neither came out smooth to the touch(silky that is).

Maybe its because this is only meant to be a protector/shinny product that reflects water good? And usualy those are never smooth to the touch?

Is that ok, or did they mess up and come out bad because it was a VERY humid day?

Please let me know before I do the Carnauba wax, if I have to wax is again with the NXT.

Thanks!

hmm, when was the last time you clay-barred your car?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #36
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Man, y'all put way too much effort into this. I respect that, I just couldn't do it. My car is 3 year old, and the number of times I've washed it is in the single digits. And yet it still looks good. Just not my thing.