Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Any regrets?

I know there are quite a few threads already regarding Yaris 5dr/LB vs Jazz/Fit. I've read them all and am just wondering at this point if any of you that who have purchased Yarii (Yaris's???) have had any regrets since.

I personally used to live in the USA. I had a Scion xA which I loved until I got a job that required me to drive 5 hours a day, which caused me to hate it due to lack of legroom and stiff suspension (my fault since I swapped to TRD springs which I won't do again). I traded in for a tC and was very happy. I since moved to Thailand and am now again shopping for a car.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I really keep flip flopping between buying a Mazda 2, Honda Jazz, or Yaris 5dr.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
You will have to take a test drive in each of your car choices to see which one you like the best. No regrets from me about the Yaris as i got exactly what i expected, an inexpensive fuel efficient reliable economy car,a few other cars on my list at the time were the Mazda3,Nissan Versa and Honda Fit,i settled on the Yaris because when all factors were considered it was the best bang for the buck and it helped that the dealer is literally next door
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
djct_watt

Yeah, the Mazda2 is out now in Thailand which makes the choice that much harder... I'm still stuck between the three options, lol.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
My only regret is that I didn't get the 5dr LB. Nor did I get it in the Blazing Blue color that I would much rather have, as opposed to the Meteorite Mettallic that I settled for. Other than that, no regrets at all!

I was considering the Yaris, Versa, and Fit. I never got around to test driving the Versa (the price vs. mpg's just didn't add up enough for me). I did drive the Fit, and, well, it just didn't fit me. The only thing that I did like on the Fit is the slightly larger backseat area. Otherwise, it was Yaris all the way!

(Oh, one little tidbit I found out while I was doing my research, the gear ratios on the Fit vs. the Yaris are slightly different. The Fit is more geared for city driving, and the Yaris more for highway driving. Since I drive more highway than city, the Yaris worked better for that as well).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
eht13

Drives: .
I compared the Yaris, Fit, and Versa too. The Versa quickly put itself out of contention as soon as I took a good look at it, and the test-drive confirmed it. The Fit was nice, but not nice enough for the (non-negotiable) price... and something about Fits for me is that I kind of like them, and kind of don't because they look like small minivans to me. So the Yaris won out.

So no real regrets for me, although I sometimes regret the color (white) a little bit, because it's hard to keep looking clean. Also, I sometimes wish I'd gotten a 5-door liftback instead of the sedan, even though I love my sedan. I wanted back doors on the car, and the 5-door wasn't available yet then in the US.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
I compared the Yaris, Fit, and Versa too. The Versa quickly put itself out of contention as soon as I took a good look at it, and the test-drive confirmed it. The Fit was nice, but not nice enough for the (non-negotiable) price... and something about Fits for me is that I kind of like them, and kind of don't because they look like small minivans to me. So the Yaris won out.

So no real regrets for me, although I sometimes regret the color (white) a little bit, because it's hard to keep looking clean. Also, I sometimes wish I'd gotten a 5-door liftback instead of the sedan, even though I love my sedan. I wanted back doors on the car, and the 5-door wasn't available yet then in the US.
White hard to keep clean? Try Flint Mica sometime.

My car looks dirty after a day or two, even if I have not driven on wet roads. The condensation at night collects the dust on the car's surface, and when it dries there are mottled concentrations of dust all over the car.

I guess it depends on the "kind of dirt," but I find white vehicles don't show the dirt all that bad.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I'm quite happy with my sedan.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
White hard to keep clean? Try Flint Mica sometime.

My car looks dirty after a day or two, even if I have not driven on wet roads. The condensation at night collects the dust on the car's surface, and when it dries there are mottled concentrations of dust all over the car.

I guess it depends on the "kind of dirt," but I find white vehicles don't show the dirt all that bad.

Tom
Interesting. I had thought that Flint Mica or Meteorite Metallic would be easier to maintain. Our other car (my wife's car) is a dark metallic gray, and it is much easier to keep looking clean. For my white, the main problem is after it's rained a few times, even if the surface was waxed, etc. I get little vertical gray lines all over the place where the rainwater collects and then runs down, like down from the mirrors or down from the door handles. Oh well.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
Oh, one little tidbit I found out while I was doing my research, the gear ratios on the Fit vs. the Yaris are slightly different. The Fit is more geared for city driving, and the Yaris more for highway driving. Since I drive more highway than city, the Yaris worked better for that as well).
I would agree with that, based on my test drives.

I did have buyer's remorse for a couple of weeks after purchasing the Yaris (I"m a city driver 90% of the time), wondered I should have gotten the FIT instead, but that went away eventually.

I come from Honda, have been driving Hondas (first gen. civic, accord, crx) for a lot of years, so naturally there is a transition period when you get a different vehicle in your hands.

At times, I feel that the Yaris is a little underpowered in certain driving situations, but I'm learning to work with that, so overall, no regrets about getting the Yaris.

Last edited by tomato; 11-20-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: clarity
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
I am 90% glad I bought my Yaris. The other 10% involves the lack of straight ahead directional stability at highway speeds especially on windy days. Other than that it was exactly what it should be. Very safe, economical, reliable and practical (with the hatch) vehicle.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
No regrets about the car itself-it is perfectly reliable, comfortable, and gets great gas mileage. But, I really, really wanted a smart and couldn't buy one at the time since they were all spoken for unless you ordered one. So I bought the smallest toyota made hoping it would suffice. I still want the smart-darn it. I think I like how anti-car the smart is-it's barely above the usefulness of a motorcycle for transportation. The toyota is definitley more grown up than a smart-it's no street legal go-cart. The Yaris is a real car and a very well made one at a killer price.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I like my '08 sedan. I regret that the 5 door wasn't around the US at the time.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I love Meteorite,stays pretty clean looking.
I originally set out looking for a stick,but a search of 3 dealers in one day only one had a stick, a bare bones red LB. Ended up going with an auto, it's not THAT bad guys! Put it in "D" and your done shifting for the whole drive!
I was in a pinch for a new car at the time since my old '97 Satty died 2 days prior and I could'nt take my Mom's '06 Corolla to work forever!
I still got the color I liked, the "power everything" pkg. I had to have, and at $14,160 (he took $300 off sticker) , it seemed like it was worth the price!
I love sitting up high and the infinite headroom afforded the LB owner.
I give Yaris two

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
97.5% happy, the other 2.5% is because of little things, like no hatch release, lights in the glove boxes, minor shit like that...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
The Yaris has been a perfect match. No regrets so far.

I've never seen a Mazda 2 in person since the car is not available here in the states (yet), so I cannot comment on the car. I've looked at the new Honda Fit in the recent past. I like the Fit's "magic seats.” It’s a clever set-up IMO.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm very familiar with the Yaris in various forms (see sig). Been close to trying a Fit on a few occasions, but I always come away with the same conclusions:

1) The Fit doesn't feel as "solid" as the Yaris. The Yaris is more quiet and uses slightly better materials than the Fit. The Fit's big, hollow cabin makes for a pretty boomy interior (especially on the highway).

2) I admit that the Fit looks very nice. I like the Fit's stock alloys, for example, versus the Yaris' steelies w/plastic caps.

3) For me, the Yaris provides plenty of utility. The Fit feels like driving a minivan by comparison. If you haul loads of stuff all the time, I admit that the Fit does have an edge in this regard.

4) Neither car is a powerhouse, but the Yaris - even with an auto tranny - has better power delivery than the Fit. I've owned several Hondas and although they're smooth, Hondas have no torque.

No regrets here.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
djct_watt

Great info guys. . . thanks a lot!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
never had a regret. Ordered it before it came out here, and very happy with it ever since.