Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
2011 Volkswagen Jetta: First Look

http://www.vw.com/upcomingcars/2011jetta/en/us/

So, since so many peeps were cheering about the new Ford Fiesta I thought that I might toss the new Jetta in there. It is supposed to outclass the Corolla and have a starting price point of only 16k. That is the same price that I paid for my 07 S back when they first launched (15,910 for my S before Tax, Title, and Delivery Fee). It doesn't look like they cut many corners either to get to 16k.

Quoted from DigitalTrends.com:

The Volkswagen Jetta gets a more refined look for 2011 including technology like Bluetooth and push button start.

As if Toyota didn’t have enough to worry about, the Germans decided it was high time to build an affordable Jetta. The new Jetta, believe it or not, starts at $16,000 and if you’re in the market for a Corolla you’re probably now thinking twice about your potential purchase. We had a chance to whip the car around some twisty roads in beautiful Northern California, and we’ve got to say its a mighty impressive car. And don’t think VW went completely downmarket, they’ve made available the latest bleeding edge technology like push button start, Bluetooth connectivity, as well as a very impressive amount of trunk space and rear leg room. Bottom line, we think the 2011 Jetta is the car to beat. Available in showrooms this Fall.

let the fun begin...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
repairs will cost an arm and a leg. and reliabilty of VW is not the same as Toyota. Ill stick with Yotas
if you are considering a lease, this will be a great alternative to corolla.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
repairs will cost an arm and a leg. and reliabilty of VW is not the same as Toyota. Ill stick with Yotas

Oh, I agree to a point. If you can manage to get a Jetta though that is built in Germany then you will be doing much better. It is kind of like with Toyota. Nothing for nothing, but I would not buy a Toyota built in the States. I am very patriotic, but sorry, we just don't do it as well as they do on the island.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The one pictured will be closer to $23K than $16K.

I've never really considered the Jetta competition for the Corolla and Civic but rather its own niche . VW always went the premium small car route and is always considerably more costly. Especially to fix and maintain. And they require a LOT of fixing. I don't care it they have better driving feel, I'd never deal with the headache of a German car.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Yeah, well that was like with my S...so many said that I overpaid for my car, but it all added up with what I received and I have yet to have anyone that has a Yaris not say they wished they had gotten all the options that I did. The only thing my car didn't come with for options was the fogs.

You know they always show one of their flagship versions of a car model for marketing purposes...that is the nature of the beast...hell even Toyota does it with their Camry and Corolla. I think the only model they have advertised without showing the flagship of the model is the Yaris...I guess I am just feeling like playing devil's advocate today.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I love the look of it.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
A little off topic here, but I am located about 10 minutes walking distance from where this shot was taken.
this is the Bay Bridge, the one that's falling apart and one of those where the wind blows my Yaris all over the place on a regular basis ;)

sorry for the OT, guys
Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Great car for lease, not to own.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
If I was car shopping, I would look at the diesel version.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
prefer the sonata...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Doesn't look a whole lot different than the current Jetta, except for a Scirocco-based front-end. Could've worked on the overall design just a little more IMO

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
If I was car shopping, I would look at the diesel version.
I would have to agree with you. And because of being diesel, you won't see it for less than $23k I'd bet.

But on the flip side, VW's are the only reasonably affordable diesels available here in the US. The only other options are either Audi (which is actually VW's "Lexus" version), or BMW. Unless you want a truck with a diesel, then you've got plenty of options... But not for cars... Wish the US would learn that diesel is better than gas and allow more options to come here... Like the diesel Yarii that they have in Europe.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I still miss Mk. IV styling.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
the car is a step down for vw solid beam rear axle and rear drum brakes are not impressing me at all. they also got away from the electric rack because they said it was too exspensive our 12k yarises have them!!!!. I am glad I got my jetta it is very nice on road trips being able to go 600 miles on a tank and the ride is so much nicer than the yaris and it has WAY more power. vw has toyota beat on styling but toyota wins in the reliability department.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #15
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Sorry, but I still remember the Beetle and Rabbit I owned years and years ago...neither of which had any heat. I would never buy another VW, no matter the style or cost. It's a mental block thing with me. I hate Nissans for a variety of reasons too.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Sorry, but I still remember the Beetle and Rabbit I owned years and years ago...neither of which had any heat. I would never buy another VW, no matter the style or cost. It's a mental block thing with me. I hate Nissans for a variety of reasons too.
my mother had a highlander with a bad sludge problem and she never missed an oil change but that didnt stop me from buying the yaris. Ever car line has problems they all break weather anyone on this board wants to believe it or not thats why all of them even toyota have service bays even though people on this forum think that their toyota will never break.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Rather mundane looking. And yes, it will certanly cost an arm and a leg to routinely maintain and repair a Volks. Cost of ownership is outrageous!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
the car is a step down for vw solid beam rear axle and rear drum brakes are not impressing me at all. they also got away from the electric rack because they said it was too exspensive our 12k yarises have them!!!!. I am glad I got my jetta it is very nice on road trips being able to go 600 miles on a tank and the ride is so much nicer than the yaris and it has WAY more power. vw has toyota beat on styling but toyota wins in the reliability department.
VW has made it clear that the intention was to bring the Jetta down in line with the Corolla /Civic class. Until now, it's been a premium compact and for that reason, VW couldn't achieve the sales levels they want. So they had to cheapen the Jetta by giving it rear drums, non- independent rear suspension, cheaper interior, weak base engine, ect. I believe they finally did what they had to do. They've been selling Jetta's for the price of Camry's.

And it kind of seems you're comparing elements of the Jetta with the Yaris. I sure hope the Jetta has a better ride than the Yaris. It costs like $7K more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
my mother had a highlander with a bad sludge problem and shesnever missed an oil change but that didnt stop me from buying the yaris. Ever car line has problems they all break weather anyone on this board wants to believe it or not thats why all of them even toyota have service bays even though people on this forum think that their toyota will never break.
Sure, a rare repair might be needed but usually not until well after 100,000 miles.

Mine hasn't needed a single repair as of 93,000 miles and it feels like it just rolled of the assembly line.

A VW with 93K on it is all but worthless.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote