Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I just start up and go. The car warms up really fast anyway, within a minute or so, so by the time I'm at the end of my block, it's good to go.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
YarisFan007

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris HB
Hey, Thank you everyone for your feedback... now I don't feel guilty driving my Yaris when the engine is still "cool" : )
YarisFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
highwaypass
Captain Slow

Drives: '08 1.5 hatchback
usually,i take my breakfast in my car till the green lights goes off
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisFan007 View Post
Hello fellow Yaris friends,
I have a few questions- After starting your engine do you guys wait until the temperature light goes away before you head out?.. Or do you disregard the light and just go anyways? Is it a bad thing to start driving after you fire up your engine without warming it up first?

Almost every time I start mine, I wait until the engine is fully warmed up and the temperature light goes away. I can recall maybe only 2 or 3 times I didn't wait for the light to go away because I was running late for something. But ever since the day I bought my Yaris I've tried to treat her well.

Just curious to know if everyone warms up their engines as well.
I let the car sit for about forty five seconds to a minute if the ambient temps are below freezing. I do this for the sake of the AT and not for the motor, especially if I have to go into reverse as the first motion of the car. Reverse is usually the toughest gear of an AT for mechanical reasons.

When it's warm I let the car sit at most ten seconds. If I'm not in a hurry.

Like everyone else has said, don't "jump on it" until the light goes out. The light will go out from 135 fahrenheit to 140 fahrenheit. I have no idea if the motor really NEEDS to be that warm for mechanical reasons or if the emissions control system needs it to be that warm.

Use some judgment. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but don't be passing Trucks and doing jackrabbit starts with the green light on.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote