Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Reverse Cam, anyone?

I'm just wondering if anyone's experimented with a wide-angle rear view camera to help when reversing? I'm thinking the best place to put it would be under the spoiler, looking down... then you gotta have some kind of display, I take it double-DIN head units with LCD screens would be able to be mounted in the dash?
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I was thinking of doing this... you can get kits for this. But I dont really see the need (until I tint that is).

As far as the display would go, I was thinking either a indash LCD, Visor LCD or even a rearview mirror LCD.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
It would be SO cool to put an LCD Touchscreen in the radio slot and have a car-puter for misc. porpoises (just to name a few: rearveiw cammera, sound, DVD, heck, you can probably even get a kit to display real time car stats!)
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrancosRt
It would be SO cool to put an LCD Touchscreen in the radio slot and have a car-puter for misc. porpoises (just to name a few: rearveiw cammera, sound, DVD, heck, you can probably even get a kit to display real time car stats!)
The Pioneer AVIC-Z1 already does all that in a 2 DIN form factor, and by the time you put a carputer together, the AVIC would be around the same price.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
The Pioneer AVIC-Z1 already does all that in a 2 DIN form factor, and by the time you put a carputer together, the AVIC would be around the same price.
perfect for a instant solution, but for a fully customized one-of-a-kind install I would recommend using an "older" laptop (3yrs) for a carputer.

I'm looking into doing this, but I have a big issue against non-oem looking dash area. so if I come-up with anything I'll be sure to post.

will work for parts
Old 10-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
paultyler_82

I would love to do a carputer, but Startup times and poor AM-FM reception (not to mention hibernation mode headaches) are steering me away from that route, By the way, vodkalush, I'll help you out with the OEM looking dash thing... someone on MP3car.com forums found a jewel known as the DWW-6500. It's a Double DIN unit with flipdown face and integrated CD/DVD drive, the Drive and Touchscreen interface via USB, and the video is provided via VGA... plus I think it has a few other tricks up it's sleeve. http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-6500.htm is the link, but it seems as of this posting, Digital Worldwide is having site issues.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

good find. I like that fact that it can turn on/off the carputer

will work for parts
Old 10-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
I would love to do a carputer, but Startup times and poor AM-FM reception (not to mention hibernation mode headaches) are steering me away from that route, By the way, vodkalush, I'll help you out with the OEM looking dash thing... someone on MP3car.com forums found a jewel known as the DWW-6500. It's a Double DIN unit with flipdown face and integrated CD/DVD drive, the Drive and Touchscreen interface via USB, and the video is provided via VGA... plus I think it has a few other tricks up it's sleeve. http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-6500.htm is the link, but it seems as of this posting, Digital Worldwide is having site issues.
That is one sexy little unit... The price is not so sexy though, but in light of its capabilities, it could come in very very handy....
Old 10-15-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
That is one sexy little unit... The price is not so sexy though, but in light of its capabilities, it could come in very very handy....
I'm pretty certain it's the only 2 DIN VGA touchscreen unit, period, not to mention it even features a USB CD/DVD drive!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Yeah.. gotta do a lot more research on this, especially about integrating information from the OBD-II port into windows software... So much potential here!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:19 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

hmmm well I could save a good wad of money by using my old laptop (pentium M 1.8, should be more than enough for this light-duty stuff) to power everything, the laptop's screen is a bit messed up, but with the dash LCD, that should be no problem!
Old 10-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I know you can buy carputer units whole, but is there any way to build one yourself? For example, if you have a spare computer sitting around.... haha.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

You could, but the power requirements for a standard desktop PC are pretty high, which is why laptop or specially built low-power, low-profile PCs are recommended...

This simple idea of a reverse camera has started me up on doing a lot of research on a fairly well integrated PC-based entertainment and information system... wait and see...
Old 10-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
ism3t
YarVitz

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback
i have The Pioneer AVIC-Z1 installed on my car, and its the best car audio hu i have ever used, hands down. you can customize everything. and yes, i also have a rear view camera, its pretty nice, very shitting when it gets wet. The camera is in my rear view mirror, not my hu however, and my rear view has 3 inputs so i am also putting a camera on the front of my car, as the 3rd will be for the hu to route up to the moitor in the mirror. its pretty nice, very distracting, but the ladies love it.
ism3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
You could, but the power requirements for a standard desktop PC are pretty high, which is why laptop or specially built low-power, low-profile PCs are recommended...

This simple idea of a reverse camera has started me up on doing a lot of research on a fairly well integrated PC-based entertainment and information system... wait and see...
Even demanding desktop PC's have power supplies mostly under 500 watts, which would put it in the realm of most 4 channel amps. Even so, you can build a 200W MicroATX barebone computer right now for under 200 bucks on tigerdirect.

eTiMaGo, can't wait to see your results. Keep us posted.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #16
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

a high demand laptop only uses 90watts... and the lower the wattage the lower the inverter you need... although you can get power supplies for a desktop that are made for DC (your cars current) but they are (atleast last i looked into it) where at around $50-90... which is more then an inverter would be..

. eitherway I am looking forward to the results of this

will work for parts
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

OK, got my ol' laptop out of storage... It only requires 65W on a 19V input, so now I know what specifications I need for a DC-DC converter. Saw some universal ones online for about 50 bucks, but I should try and find one locally, no point paying through the nose for shipping and taxes for such a basic thing

The laptop's an old Asus M series, so it's lightweight (one of the lightest available in its day at just under 2kg), and it's not too big, with a 14" screen. I'll have to do some exploring on the car but I maaaay be able to fit it in the passenger side footwell, as far up under the dash as possible, and have some of the wiring (USB extension for keyboard, etc), come through one of the glove boxes.

But first, time to reinstall that little beast and experiment with different software front ends... I've been messing around with Centrafuse on this PC, it is pretty darn impressive, very well integrated software. But there's many many others out there too!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #18
grokdesigns

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Anybody interested in a carputer should check out www.mp3car.com, there are some very knowledgeable people there. There are some VERY OEM looking installs on there!
grokdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote