Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #55
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
hehe then we'll wait for friday for your final decision =P
gosh, finally got around to installing the wheelskins cover today, it looks good, I'd give it a thumbs up and it feels way better

someone with more patience than me could achieve a more balanced look but I did pretty good for a first time try, I have -0- patience and I was sweating balls, it's fuckin' hot

anyway I would reccomend this to anyone who doesn't want to lose the airbag
Old 07-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #56
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
gosh, finally got around to installing the wheelskins cover today, it looks good, I'd give it a thumbs up and it feels way better

someone with more patience than me could achieve a more balanced look but I did pretty good for a first time try, I have -0- patience and I was sweating balls, it's fuckin' hot

anyway I would reccomend this to anyone who doesn't want to lose the airbag
How about a pic of that installed? There doesn't seem to be one on their site...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #57
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
go to yahoo and images, there should be a couple of shots, I got mine a little tight in some places so it isn't perfectly balanced but it still looks good, like I said I have no patience for this type of stuff

eventually, I will get some snap shots of my car up again but I have to get my photographer friend to help me out

several pics here...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...9c9e2&ei=UTF-8
Old 07-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #58
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
To those of you who don't like airbags: I got run off of a mountain road a few months ago in my first Yaris; ironically the felon was a tow-truck driver. He hit and ran, I rolled my Yaris 7 times and experienced numerous frontal collisions. Were it not for my airbag, I would be dead. The Yaris is a very small car, and there is very little space between the driver and the objects colliding with the car. I did in fact have mild burns all over my face, my eye-glasses were snapped in the middle, and I had a black eye, but I lived. Take it from one who knows from experience - keep the airbag.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:18 AM   #59
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
if your a nervous or worried driver, keep the airbag. but if you do remove the bag just get a 5 point harness. simple as that

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #60
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
but then wouldn't you need a seat belt harness holder thing? and that'll make it hard for people to sit in the back of the car right?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #61
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Thats one way of putting it. I'm a long ways from nervous or worried - I drive a highly modified 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible 13B-REW; I have driven it on numerous certified race tracks such as Buttonwillow, Famosa, Grand Prix of Long Beach, and Portland International Raceway. I'm a fairly experienced driver, and in my particular case, I simply got shoved off of the road, for which theres not much you can do to avoid it. That isn't a situation that anyone plans for, nor can they ever expect it. The airbag is there to be prepared for that kind of situation - it is there to save your life and it's good at it. A 5-point harness might help, but I would still have to advise - unless you have an overwhelming reason to disable or remove the airbag, keep it.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #62
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
you will have to disconnect the battery. remove the airbag and the steering wheel. you'll need an adapter of some sort to install the aftermarket steering wheel.

thats it pretty much. and i'll rather not have an airbag on my car. i have seen what they can do and i'll take my chances with the seatbelt on. planing on removing my stock wheel and going with a momo also, great quality.
In this case, I'll strongly suggest replacing the stock seatbelt with a 5 points harness. Stock seatbelt is modified to work with the airbag. Take a look at crash test videos. The upper part of the body is NOT retained by the diagonal belt. The upper body always moves towards the steering wheel and impacts the airbag.

Some time ago, a guy in a civic had a frontal crash at 35mph. His honda civic had aftermaket steering wheel - no airbag. His girlfriend walked away, but the guy had thorax injuries - broken ribs - after hitting the steering wheel even though he was wearing the seatbelt. The car had only front damage.

No airbag = the head/thorax will 100% hit the steering wheel in a crash at 15mph or more. Take care
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #63
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
for the 5-point harness don't you need a bar that connects the b-pillars and is located right behind the driver and passenger seats? sorry I don't remember the name of that bar but I see it when people have bucket seats and aftermarket steering wheels and seatbelt harness. But if it's needed and you have more than one passenger that wants to ride it'll be hard for them to sit in the back right?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #64
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
Airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
sorry man i don't have any links to back up my claim but i have friends who have had accidents with and without the airbags on their cars and the ones with the airbags ende worse than the ones without.

maybe just crazy luck, but i really don't care, i'm going aftermarket anyways.
Lol search youtube for toyota yaris crash test for the most obvious proof that airbags would save you. Looks like w/o airbags, your head would be skewered by the steering column. W/o side airbags, your head would leave the car cabin and smash into whatever's out there.

A common misconception about seatbelts are that they keep you bolted to the seat during an accident. Seatbelts are there only to slowly reduce your traveling energy, just like car crumple zones. Your body is still allowed to travel to extend the distance in which you're decelerating. If seatbelts were totally restraining, you'd suffer massive internal injuries imho. The driver side definitely needs an airbag, because the steering column is so close, lots of potential for skewering.

Keep your airbag please. If you mod, mod at your own risk, but don't advise others to disable things that would save their lives if they personally aren't modding.
Thai_Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #65
Berkut

Drives: Toyota Vitz '05
Try to use this kit - http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...on/s183304535/
Then other airbags will be work.
Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote