Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #127
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme View Post
Who has problems with clutch, gas and start off in first gear... ???

Yes, we can do it - but in comparison to the FIT and the Versa....The Yaris idle is so low and the clutch is so touchy.. and with a slight incline one stalls at times ..It's such a simple vehicle..........What a dissappointment.

Please test drive before buying..............

A real discussion topic in many other Yaris forums and many are trading already.........mostly for safety issues with stalling in intersections and or being rear ended..
it's a bit quirky, but hardly unsafe. just gas it and drive the car like you mean it, not some dainty way...the only time i dislike the clutch for real is coming down from 2nd with momentum and going back up, there is sometimes a dead spot between 1st and 2nd in that instance and i end up riding the clutch to get it up to speed; getting it into reverse can be finicky but luckily i reverse only so often compared to driving around town...i'd say sometimes the clutch feels like it's not 'warmed up' and exhibits what your talking about, but I find gassing it and commanding the vehicle with confidence helps big time, and riding the clutch for a moment or two is fine-- this car can take it! :D
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #128
YaRS

Drives: 2009 Yaris
The Yaris MT took me about a week to get used to before I could drive the car without any concerns. I remember the first time I drove it I thought, "Holy crap this thing is touchy!" However, the touchy clutch was no problem after I got used to it.

Also, I have noticed that idle rpm's drop to the point of noticeable engine vibration at times. However, I have never stalled the car when this has happened.

I also drive the car up hills with inconveniently placed stop signs all the time without any problems. I might suggest your problems are due to driver experience, but who knows... maybe some Yarii really do come from the factory messed up.

Mine came full of awesomeness.
YaRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #129
YaRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
you guys realize the OP is long gone most likely , the thread dates back from 2006
Meh, once a dead thread is resurrected I consider it open season for posting. lol That and other people might stumble on this and mistakenly think the Yaris has some sort of terrible flaw...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #130
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Mine came full of awesomeness.
:D

i agree, once resurrected, people will look at it, so it's good to throw in some positive
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #131
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
okay....i'm sorry, i know i'm new but still, i have no idea what u guys are describing... as far as i can tell, the ones who are complaining cand adjust? it doesn't sound liek the car at all. dont get my wrong, out off 10000 cars, one will be actually bad, and 6 other people will think theirs is bad. the 2010 yaris atleast i find will take off from dead stop without any gas, jsut at idle, dont get me wrong it doesn't like it and it wound go up hill like that but it goes.....

and personally anyone who says they liked their honda or jeep better, then y dont u have it now? really...u complain but for what? i personally test drive an assortment of cars from versa's and cubes, to civics and kia souls. even the mazda 3 and 6. did a few jeeps and dodges. even a crystler.... did 3 different benz's(after 3 the sales rep said no more till i show some money....or class, lol) out of all of them, price ranges from $20,000 to 80,000 CD. the top 2 cars, the Yaris and the soul. (got the yaris cuz it s a toyota and my neighbour jsut got the soul, lol. glad i didn't get the soul when it first came out, they have the soul s now) the new civic, anyone who likes the standard tranny on that needs a shake if they are going to complain about the yaris. that car has all the problems you are describing. dont get me wrong, the jeep in first could climb a mountain without u even in the car but still. if you want to climb a mountain ure not going to do it in a 1.5l yaris.... you can, dont get me wrong. i've done things where jeeps kinda look at me saying wtf but thats not what the car is ment for. everyone who has posted here has put in their 2 cents. including me. and really this is all personal opinion. but if your gonna complain about the car u got, sell it, call your mom. dont tell yaris lovers its stupid or needs to be fixed. if by chance you do actually have a problem, think about what ure gonna say reasonably and consider the option is it me?

All cars grab at different points and not gonna lie, the electronic throtle was a bit different to begine with but i'm sorry, its a new car for a reason, if u wanted it to drive like your 81 jetta (the car i learned to drive stick on) then u should have kept that car.

yes i found the car very quiet but this is good. and the low idle i LOVE! my mom drives a camry V6 and i have been trying its entire life to bring the idle down below 750rpm.

if u think the idle is too low, before u take off, hold down the gas and call it ure new idle :)

i'm not gonna lie i am kinda flustered seeing as i clicked this post after seeing safety in title and reading all posts and realizing this is bs. but really, the car is great. loads of fun to drive and i liek to wave as i pass gas stations. 50mpg is the greatest thing to happen to a student!! (i have never gotten 50mpg in my life! but its kool to try. highest was 43.8...almost there)
Old 12-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #132

Drives: 2003 Accord Sedan
A clutch is like a ladies tender spot, each one is different requiring delicate handling and a little dexterity to find that sweet spot.

If you would tell your new lady friend to get lost because you can't find her magic button then you are a man with more options than I.

But I digress. My salient point being sell your Yaris or get used to it.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #133
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The bottom line is: Toyota is making a making a defective product. People who say "get used to it" are enabling Toyota to get away with it. If we all said "Fix your little problem or we arent buying a Toyota anymore" then they would have to do something about it. All you have to do is look at BMW motorcycles. They are becoming as trouble prone as Harleys because so many people tolerate their (increasing) QC problems.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #134
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I love the way my Yaris drives. At 18K miles it just gets better and better.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #135
gamot_vendor
I've made a post!

Drives: Vios 1.3J M/T
Just got a new Vios (Yaris Sedan) 1.3 liter, I have no problems with the clutch and find the gearbox a pleasure to use.
gamot_vendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #136
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The bottom line is: Toyota is making a making a defective product. People who say "get used to it" are enabling Toyota to get away with it. If we all said "Fix your little problem or we arent buying a Toyota anymore" then they would have to do something about it. All you have to do is look at BMW motorcycles. They are becoming as trouble prone as Harleys because so many people tolerate their (increasing) QC problems.
incorrect
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #137
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
i have have a pneumatic shifter.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #138
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
am i the only one not seeing this problem? you are describing it as dangerous as a wheel randomly falling off while doing 55..... if i understand correctly it is simply you cannot take off from stop because u dont know how to drive standard properly.....
Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #139
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
It's not defective, it's just not as smooth as others. Big difference.

Defective implies that it doesn't work. It works just fine, just takes a little getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
am i the only one not seeing this problem? you are describing it as dangerous as a wheel randomly falling off while doing 55..... if i understand correctly it is simply you cannot take off from stop because u dont know how to drive standard properly.....
That's not it either. Again, Yaris MT does take a little getting used to it.

We're saying that in good faith. We're not dissing the car, we're just saying that it could use a little improvement, that's all

(I've driven MT's all my life, so although I'm not an expert driver, I'm no novice either, had many cars w/ manual trannies in my hands )

Don't forget, we are a consumer board as well. Our feedback is invaluable. We should most definitely voice our opinion about our car. Yes, we love the car, we bought it, but there is room for improvement in this model. I think that's all we're saying. Plus we're telling others what to expect if they get a 2007-2009 MT Yaris.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #140
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
There is no problem with the Yaris M/T. It appears that quite a few Yaris owners simply need to become more skilled at driving a manual transmission. Lots of people getting too soft in this technology-driven world.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #141
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
It's not defective, it's just not as smooth as others. Big difference.
Classic enabler!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #142
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
After reading this, it makes me feel better after I learned how to drive standard on my yaris. I thought I was doing it wrong, guess it's because it's harder to learn on this car :)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #143
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Classic enabler!
err.. sorry?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #144
YaRS

I think the simple solution is for all potential buyers to go out and test drive the car they want. I'm sure that there is at least one dealership nearby with a MT Yaris (although, they are on the rarer side where I'm from).

I figure that if you have driven MT cars before, then you should be able to at least go from a stop without stalling by the end of the test drive. If not, perhaps another car is the answer.

That said, I sat in an Aveo before and was startled to find that there was the same amount of play in the shifter regardless of whether you were in neutral or in first... so we can't have it that bad.

Also, it is possible to drive the Yaris without using the clutch (other than to launch from a stop). So all the uber haters need to take a breath and maybe some driving classes.