Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Nexus 1, Droid, or HTC something?
Get the Nexus 1 10 25.00%
Get the Droid 7 17.50%
Wait for the HTC Incredible or Evo 20 50.00%
They're all the same, get the cheapest 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #55
10DG22

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I say go with the HTC EVO, this phone has all the bells and whistles. 3G/4G, WiFi, HTC Sense, 2.1 Android, 4.3 inch screen, Front 1.3 MP camera/Rear 8MP camera, HD recording, 1Ghz CPU, 1GIG ram, ahh the list goes on.
10DG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #56
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
the front 1.3 MP camera will most likely be taken out for the US market simply because we (Americans) dont care for video conference calling/video calling in general. I do, I've always wanted a camera for video calling, but most were taken out for US phones.ie: Samsung Omnia (europe, Asia, Africa, etc all had front camera, but for US it was removed/taken out)....

My one question is to tomato and myself, do any of these phones have multi-language support? I had the Omnia smartphone and there were programs you could install for multi-language support but it never really functioned properly...

iPhone is the only phone w/ multi-language support (that i know of). I get emails from friends in Japanese and i hate having to be at home to check on the computer everytime...
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #57
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Kioshi, I know what you mean. That's one thing that the iPhone does support, but I haven't found out yet if Android can support.

Auto correct drives me crazy because it doesn't take into account multiple languages - as far as I can tell it's an either/or situation, you set up your phone for US English and go from there, but there may be a way around that, IDK. I'll try to find out in the next couple of days.

BTW, I think the front camera will stay because people might want to skype. VZW already has a deal with Skype and has installed Skype mobile on a couple of their devices. I've tried it, it's OK, feels a little bit like the early day of Internet Telephony when we could communicate in simplex only (one at a time, like walkie talkie) but in a pinch ... plus skype to skype is free and doesn't use up voice minutes.

PS. The EVO is going to Sprint, not VZW but if the camera stays, who knows ...

Last edited by tomato; 04-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #58
tomato
Super Moderator

Ooooooo, Nexus 1 gaining ground !!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #59
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

yes, please dig up info about multi-language support. It's pretty much the only thing that bothers me regarding data plans on smartphones. And i hate auto correct too! I would have to change the settings everytime i sent out a new text... :(

P.S. - I did not know Skype and VZW are working together.

As Garm has said, I'll wait till you make a decision, then follow your trail hehe.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #60
tomato
Super Moderator

Hahahaha, OK ;)

Gotta warn you though, in my purchase decisions - especially when it comes to electronic stuff - I usually go for the best "bang for the bucks" rather than the one that has the most bells and whistles, because with electronic stuff, no matter what you get, your purchase is already obsolete right out of the box, so what's the point of overpaying for it?!

I haven't completely said no to the Droid yet, even though the specs aren't as impressive as the newer phones, only because it's the only top dog Android phone with a slider KB right now and even though the KB sucks, it's still nice to have (especially when you want to override auto correct in a hurry).

I'll let you know what I find out. If I don't see you at the meet on Friday (I'm still a maybe, sorry), I'll definitely post up in this thread.

Last edited by tomato; 04-13-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #61
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post

P.S. - I did not know Skype and VZW are working together.

Yeah, they are. I tried it last WE, spoke to my brother in Europe skype to skype, worked OK. a lot of static on the line, but definitely can't beat the price ;)

My understanding is that:
If you call Skype to Skype (using Skype mobile on VZW), there is no charge
If you call Skype to landline or any other line, then VZW use your voice plan minutes and Skype charges a little something, too.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #62
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I don't have a link from Sprint.com specifically, but here's one from a 3rd party dealer linky.

thanks!
got the message

Last edited by tomato; 04-13-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #63
tomato
Super Moderator

Not to add to the confusion or anything but the myTouch slider is coming out in a couple of weeks on T Mobile USA

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/04/mytou...wild-part-two/

It looks like a a G1 + MyTouch replacement. Specs are not as strong as the top dog Android phones coming soon on Sprint and VZW, but still looks very interesting for those of you who are partial to the slider kb. Comes with Sense UI and Android 2.1 out of the box.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #64
10DG22

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Not to add to the confusion or anything but the myTouch slider is coming out in a couple of weeks on T Mobile USA

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/04/mytou...wild-part-two/

It looks like a a G1 + MyTouch replacement. Specs are not as strong as the top dog Android phones coming soon on Sprint and VZW, but still looks very interesting for those of you who are partial to the slider kb. Comes with Sense UI and Android 2.1 out of the box.
Hmm, interesting.
10DG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #65
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
the front 1.3 MP camera will most likely be taken out for the US market simply because we (Americans) dont care for video conference calling/video calling in general.
Nope, the Evo is made specifically for Sprint at this point and the front camera will be on the retail version. This isn't a case of a Euro or Japanese phone being brought to the US via another version, what you see is what you're going to get.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #66
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
The Top Choices and Clear Winner

Verizon Droid Incredible - ETA (Rumor May), 3.7" Screen, Cost $199 (rumor), Cost n/a, 1Ghz CPU, 8mp Dual Flash Camera, No HDMI Output, No Front Facing Camera

T-Mobile HTC Incredible - ETA N/A, Cost $199 (rumor), 3.7" Screen, This might not ever come out for T-Mo but is a rumor right now. 3.7" Screen, 1 GHz CPU, 8mp Dual Flash Camera, No HDMI Output, No Front Facing Camera, (On T-Mobile this should support 4G with only a software upgrade. Same goes with all T-Mobile Android phones.)

AT&T Dell Swipe / Mini 5 - ETA N/A, Cost N/A (I would guess $299 or more), 5" Screen, 1 GHz CPU, Everyone knows AT&T sucks (Price, Coverage, Reliability) but this phone has a 5" screen and HDMI outputs! But you don't get a forward facing camera.

Sprint HTC EVO - ETA June, Cost ($199 Rumor) 4.3" Screen, This would be my top pick. It beats the others except the Dell by having a 4.3" screen, a 1 GHz CPU, and 4G! The EVO also includes a forward facing 1.3mp camera, 8mp Dual Flash Camera, and HDMI outs.

I'll take the EVO over any of the other options! With it’s second biggest screen, 1 GHz CPU, front camera, HDMI output, 4G data connection and $200 price tag, it’s a clear winner in my eyes. I'm guessing that the Dell will be more expensive but you do have to wait a couple of months for the EVO. The other 2 options you can get a bit sooner but are lacking too many features that the other phones will have for the same price or cheaper. I also feel like a 3.7" screen is too small which is why I lean towards the Dell (5”) or EVO (4.3”) screen.

Now the only other real deciding factor is the monthly price. T-Mobile and Sprint come out the winners when you look at total cost, minutes per month, and the fact they don’t have data caps. When I compared my share of a 3 person 1200min T-Mobile family plan it comes to about $65. The only company that comes close to this on a solo plan would be Sprint at $69.99. For that cost you get 450 minutes, unlimited minutes to mobile numbers, unlimited data and MMS. To me this seems like the best deal especially when compared to having to go with a $99.99 plan to get the Nexus One through Google/T-Mobile. The way it worked out for me to get the Nexus One I would have to pay $280 and then sign a 2 year contract that is going to cost me $35 per month for the EXACT some coverage, just a better phone.

$1120 is too much to pay for a Nexus One over 2 years!

I’m not sure about you guys but the choice is pretty simple to me. Deal with my slow G1 for just a bit longer and get the best of the best for a GREAT price. The EVO will beat out the competition for some time to come, $200 is a steal, and Sprint is giving you good deal.

Hope this helps you all out on making a decision on a great phone that you will enjoy for a good time to come. I personally love the Android OS and want everyone who gets one to have the best experience possible.

Best Bang for your Buck, HTC EVO!!!
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #67
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I have the Motorola Cliq; and I LOVE it. I have ALWAYS loved Motorola phones. I have had a couple HTCs and have not been impressed with them. I think that Motorola has been in the game a bit longer and just makes a better quality phone. They are the same functionality, I just personally think that Motorola has better style and look to their phones :)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #68
tomato
Super Moderator

That's it, the Droid Incredible is out!!!

$199 on VZW with 2 y K. available 4/29

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/04/15/v...id-incredible/

Features of the HTC DROID Incredible include:

* Android 2.1 with HTC Sense experience
* 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ processor for maximum responsiveness
* Friend Stream for unified Flickr, Facebook and Twitter updates
* “Leap” view for quick access to all seven home screen panels
* 8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash for crisp, detailed images
* Razor-sharp 3.7 inch WVGA (480x800) AMOLED capacitive touch display
* Optical joystick for smooth navigation
* Dedicated, touch-sensitive Home, Menu, Back and Search keys
* Proximity sensor, light sensor and digital compass
* Integrated GPS
* Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
* 3.5 mm headset jack

ooooo, this is getting real exciting!!!

Last edited by tomato; 04-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #69
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves360 View Post
Verizon Droid Incredible - ETA (Rumor May), 3.7" Screen, Cost $199 (rumor), Cost n/a, 1Ghz CPU, 8mp Dual Flash Camera, No HDMI Output, No Front Facing Camera

T-Mobile HTC Incredible - ETA N/A, Cost $199 (rumor), 3.7" Screen, This might not ever come out for T-Mo but is a rumor right now. 3.7" Screen, 1 GHz CPU, 8mp Dual Flash Camera, No HDMI Output, No Front Facing Camera, (On T-Mobile this should support 4G with only a software upgrade. Same goes with all T-Mobile Android phones.)

AT&T Dell Swipe / Mini 5 - ETA N/A, Cost N/A (I would guess $299 or more), 5" Screen, 1 GHz CPU, Everyone knows AT&T sucks (Price, Coverage, Reliability) but this phone has a 5" screen and HDMI outputs! But you don't get a forward facing camera.

Sprint HTC EVO - ETA June, Cost ($199 Rumor) 4.3" Screen, This would be my top pick. It beats the others except the Dell by having a 4.3" screen, a 1 GHz CPU, and 4G! The EVO also includes a forward facing 1.3mp camera, 8mp Dual Flash Camera, and HDMI outs.

I'll take the EVO over any of the other options! With it’s second biggest screen, 1 GHz CPU, front camera, HDMI output, 4G data connection and $200 price tag, it’s a clear winner in my eyes. I'm guessing that the Dell will be more expensive but you do have to wait a couple of months for the EVO. The other 2 options you can get a bit sooner but are lacking too many features that the other phones will have for the same price or cheaper. I also feel like a 3.7" screen is too small which is why I lean towards the Dell (5”) or EVO (4.3”) screen.

Now the only other real deciding factor is the monthly price. T-Mobile and Sprint come out the winners when you look at total cost, minutes per month, and the fact they don’t have data caps. When I compared my share of a 3 person 1200min T-Mobile family plan it comes to about $65. The only company that comes close to this on a solo plan would be Sprint at $69.99. For that cost you get 450 minutes, unlimited minutes to mobile numbers, unlimited data and MMS. To me this seems like the best deal especially when compared to having to go with a $99.99 plan to get the Nexus One through Google/T-Mobile. The way it worked out for me to get the Nexus One I would have to pay $280 and then sign a 2 year contract that is going to cost me $35 per month for the EXACT some coverage, just a better phone.

$1120 is too much to pay for a Nexus One over 2 years!

I’m not sure about you guys but the choice is pretty simple to me. Deal with my slow G1 for just a bit longer and get the best of the best for a GREAT price. The EVO will beat out the competition for some time to come, $200 is a steal, and Sprint is giving you good deal.

Hope this helps you all out on making a decision on a great phone that you will enjoy for a good time to come. I personally love the Android OS and want everyone who gets one to have the best experience possible.

Best Bang for your Buck, HTC EVO!!!
This is a great post, Reeves, thank you

Give me a couple of days and I will post up my own little cost-analysis as well. Mine is a little different because I base it on the plans I have access to, rather than standard plans. I agree with you, 4.3 is an ideal screen size, but there is the overall package to consider, and total cost to own is important because keep in mind that all these devices, however exciting they seem to be now, are gonna be obsolete in 6 months, so there is no need to overpay.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #70
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

The above information is very good. I'm almost ready to aboard the Sprint Bullet Train for the phone price and the monthly plan subtracted by Home Depot discount hehe...just language support is holding me back..
Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #71
tomato
Super Moderator

Home depot discount?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #72
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
This is a great post, Reeves, thank you

Give me a couple of days and I will post up my own little cost-analysis as well. Mine is a little different because I base it on the plans I have access to, rather than standard plans. I agree with you, 4.3 is an ideal screen size, but there is the overall package to consider, and total cost to own is important because keep in mind that all these devices, however exciting they seem to be now, are gonna be obsolete in 6 months, so there is no need to overpay.

I think if you choose wisely and time it correctly you can get a phone that wont be obsolete in 6 months. For example get the EVO now and I bet the features they will be pushing this Christmas will be 8mp cam, video chat, and HDMI outs.

Please post what type of plans you are considering what you are going with when you can.
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote