Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
I got hit last night.

I was turning right from the right lane with my blinker on and some kid in a Pilot took a right from the center lane and cut me off. He ended up admiting fault and I have two witnesses who saw him cut me off.

He wants to settle this without insurance involvement but since there is fender damage Im tempted to just report it and deal with it formally.

Question: What would any informed estimates of this repair be? No tabs are broken on the bumper or headlight but the bumper needs repainting and the fender needs work/replacement. Also things seem a little out of line (hood gap is different now and I imagine this would add to the costs).

Im meeting with this kid soon and just wonder if anyone has any advice.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (142.2 KB, 193 views)
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
It doesn't look too bad. I would take it to a body shop and get an estimate first. If the other guy agrees to pay for it, it would be better for all involved, since both your premiums wouldn't go up. .02
Old 10-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Get an estimate from a body shop and a dealer. Show the kid the dealer price and ask for that. Then take it to the body shop.
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
XYaris

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. The only thread I found with similar damage said the cost was $800 and they didnt have the bumper scrapes that I have. I think if its that much he will choose to go through insurance. I will get a couple estimates this afternoon.

Also if we go through insurance, do folks recommend going to the dealer?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I dont' think you get any better repair quality from most dealers. They just charge more for parts. You can still have Genuine Toyota parts used at a private body shop, and they often have better-paid and trained painters than a dealer. Get your estimate from the dealer or a major shop like Service King that can warranty their work.
If the kid balks at the price, then don't hesitate to file a claim. Also, insist that he pay you the agreed price up front, but that you leave yourself the opportunity to get more payment if additional damage is found later.
IMHO, I wouldn't settle privately on a brand new car for anything other than the most minor cosmetic damage. You have too much invested in this car to worry about your insurance finding out you were hit by someone else who was at fault.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I have gotten money for cars that I never did fix. If he is willing to give you cash, give him a break.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Take the $ and run!
It's not THAT bad. Clean it up as best you can and enjoy. It's gonna get banged up with age anyways...My .02.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
XYaris

update. (not fixing this damage is not an option in my mind)

I met with the kid this afternoon after I went to a couple auto body shops to get estimates. Both were around 700.

Then we met at an auto body shop where he knows the owner. I suppose its better for him as the guy is charging 600. Maybe Im being too nice but I think Im just gonna let those guys do the work. They seem competent and the damage isnt too terrible. Ill just bring a magnet with me to be sure they didnt use too much bondo.

I have two witnesses and a signed statement from him stating he would cover the damage (drafted at the scene last night) so Im not too concerned with the issue of fault. I could file an incident report today if I wanted to as well. I am hesitant to involve the insurance co. because I am insured out of state and spend a lot of time in NYC and dont really want to advertise that fact. Also, I don't need my rates to change nor do i want to front the deductible. Ive been at fault before in a fender bender (years ago) and appreciated being given the break.

Ill be sure to post a pic of the repair. Hopefully it looks like new.

Thanks yall
Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I have gotten money for cars that I never did fix. If he is willing to give you cash, give him a break.
My boyfriend slid in the snow due to an idiot driver comin the other way, and he slid into a parked car. From what we had heard from neighbors (we did the right thing, stopped, called cops), the person had been parking their car on that street, close to the corner, and had been hit numerous times before. It went through the insurance, the person got money to fix the rear bumper, and then never did (I think I saw it still not fixed like 9 months later). Sad, the way people are these days...

Given that it's a newer car, get it fixed. It'll give you better piece of mind. I'd still say go through insurance. That way there is some kind of record of it, in case something turns up later that was the result of this accident.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote