Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
License plate cover

I have a question regarding the legality of license plate covers, and specifically smoked ones. Has anyone had these in the past and been pulled over/ticketed? Violin, I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you had been. I want to get some lightly smoked plate covers for my car since I have kind of a theme going here and those bright blue and red license plates are ruining my day. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Just in case you aren't sure, I'm talking about these.

http://www.autoplates.com/catalog/co...e-p-22829.html
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
It really depends on the locality, they're tolerated and even legal in some places but in others, they're illegal and enforced rabidly, you might ask your local police, sheriff, or state trooper's office.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I was pulled over and ticketed for my front windows tints. The cop just warned me that the license plate cover (not smoked) was illegal too - no ticket for that.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
i've been pulled over for license plate covers tons of times... up here it doesn't matter whether they are smoked, clear, tinted, etc... i don't think any cops actually care that they're on the car except that it gives them a great reason to pull people over....
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

I went up to Autozone and got some covers today. Looks 100% better. Extra cathodes came in today too, so that gives me something to do tonight. =)

We'll see if I get pulled over, but I had a Sheriff on my ass today and nothing, so far so good.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
only risk i can really see with it is that now a regular cop (im sure the sheriff doesnt give a shit) might now pull you over for that, and then nail you for your tail lights also.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

I don't think I'll ever be pulled over for the tail lights. Half of the light isn't even smoked, and the only part that is (the red part) is only a 20% tint, so its pretty mild (same percentage as the back windshield). It isn't jet black like a lot of the spray applications you see on here. At night, they're pretty much jet black when turned off but when turned on you wouldn't even really know they're smoked.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Jeez... ANY linence plate plate covers are illegal? Even clear ones? Im glad shit's not like that here in Ontario.
Because I'm def getting some for my new personalized plates in a couple weeks.
And I just noticed my front dealer licence plate frame on the front also has a cover feature with it too, protecting the front plate from the weather. But I checked, and the back plate frame doesnt have a cover though.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

I've had my smoked cover on for a month or so now and nobody has said anything. I've noticed a few cars with the same ones. I don't think the law allows it around here, but I don't think the man is paying attention either.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
the issue with license plate covers is that if you get the right ones when you roll through stop lights, or speed through an intersection the speed cameras cant read your license plate number.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
Jeez... ANY linence plate plate covers are illegal? Even clear ones? Im glad shit's not like that here in Ontario.
Uh... dude... it is illegal in Ontario to have anything completely covering the licence plate, even clear ones. Licence plate frames (i.e. borders) are ok though. But I had smoked covers on my old car and never got the hassle.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Uh... dude... it is illegal in Ontario to have anything completely covering the licence plate, even clear ones. Licence plate frames (i.e. borders) are ok though. But I had smoked covers on my old car and never got the hassle.
Interesting. I see them all the time in Collingwood, Barrie and in the city (Toronto).

My dealer put on Toyota Collingwood borders over my plates and the front one does have a clear one.

I guess its a law thats never inforced until its a problem generally.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I have a question regarding the legality of license plate covers, and specifically smoked ones. Has anyone had these in the past and been pulled over/ticketed? Violin, I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you had been. I want to get some lightly smoked plate covers for my car since I have kind of a theme going here and those bright blue and red license plates are ruining my day. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Just in case you aren't sure, I'm talking about these.

http://www.autoplates.com/catalog/co...e-p-22829.html
anything but clear is illigal here in Ohio, but I have ran them on most of my cars as I am on my Yaris. I think Ohio cops have more to worry about then that
Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Here are my new plates and the clear Toyota linence covers, front and back baby...

( i am very happy with everything )

Jem
Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
There's a reason for the covers to be illegal. There are covers out there that will distort camera shots of the plate. Anything that can interfere with a laser or police stoplight cameras (at least here in Oregon) is illegal. There IS however a spray coating you can apply to the plate itself that "flashes" itself out when a stoplight camera takes your picture.

Neat stuff.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quebec's plates lights up by itself when flashed, so you can't see it :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
Here in Ohio anyways, any thing other than clear is a violation, How do I know this? I am a Auxillary Police officer and a Air Force Police officer. Ohio Revised Code states that you cant have "Anything altering the physical look of the plate" Also in Ohio you can have a clear cover and still get pulled over if it is blocking the registration sticker on your plate (in Ohio bottom right of plate) We would pull people over for this all the time. I myself have a somewhat smoked cover and have never been stopped for it. It is darker than the picture shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plate.JPG (56.3 KB, 47 views)
Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
YANGSTER

Drives: SILVER YARIS 2007 5DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
Here are my new plates and the clear Toyota linence covers, front and back baby...

( i am very happy with everything )

Jem
Hey MORDSITH,
Plates looking Hot!!!
I'm totally gonna honk when i see u on the hwy.
btw, isnt your validation sticker suppose to be on the plate @ the back of your car? or everyone just used to put them in the back?
How did u keep your car soooooooo clean in the freaking winter?

Cheers,
YANGSTER
YANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote