Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Nexus 1, Droid, or HTC something?
Get the Nexus 1 10 25.00%
Get the Droid 7 17.50%
Wait for the HTC Incredible or Evo 20 50.00%
They're all the same, get the cheapest 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
The battle of the Droids??!

OK, guys, I'm really torn between these 2 droids

1) Nexus One

2) Droid

If you had to choose between the 2 which one would you get?

(the Droid's slider keyboard is a huge advantage to me, but the kb itself is not the greatest and the N1 is faster [snapdragon 1g processor] and looks brighter in direct sunlight [amoled display]). I'm confused.

I gotta try to figure out the total cost to own between the 2, exactly, but it looks like the N1 would cost me less in the long run but not by a whole lot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated here, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battledroid1.jpg (44.0 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg battledroid2.jpg (45.8 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by tomato; 04-09-2010 at 02:54 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

If you're interested, there is a good side by side comparison here n1 v. droid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CT1s01Hu8 (part 1 of 2)

it'll take 20 minutes to watch both parts.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
man up crack open a new iphone mate
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post

if she had wanted iPhone input she would have asked for it. Please, lets not clutter this.

I honestly think it comes down to manufacturers. do you want HTC or do you want Motorola. honestly I'd go with HTC.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I have a Droid (well technically a Milestone, the international GSM version) and it's awesome... Sure, it's slower (can't say it's really noticeable, but then you can overclock it)

A friend of mine for an N1, I played around with it, it is rather nice but just feels kinda flimsy, the Motorola could do well in a pinch as a bludgeoning tool

Also, although the N1's screen is technically superior (AMOLED is rather nice), and with the same resolution, it just does not look as sharp, like the pixels are not square, almost fuzzy... I just looooove the Motorola's screen, as sharp as a Hattori Hanso sword

Design-wise, the N1 does look like a pretty generic HTC handset, the Droid/Milestone has a rather unique design... The slide-out keyboard, I do not often use it unless I am typing a long email, one way or another no phone can touch the Blackberries when it comes to keyboards :D

And, with the Android 2.1 update, you get a lot of the N1's eyecandy now... Tomato, go search the market for "live wallpaper", there's a whole bunch of cool free ones :)

OK, I think I've went on long enough :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I love my Motorola Droid. I bought it before the Nexus 1 came out. If I were buying a phone now, I'd take a strong look at the N1 for one particular reason - I don't use the slide out keyboard on the Droid because the virtual one is way faster and easier to use. So the Nexus has the advantage of being slimmer. Other than that, they match up pretty closely. Also depends if you like the chiselled look and feel of the Droid or the soft rounded N1. I also don't think the N1's processor isn't that big of a difference.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Just to get it out of the way, the iPhone is not an option for me at the moment
(I know it's a cool phone, I've played with it, too, just not an option, enough said )

I also know that Blackberry is rumored to be working on a "T" model (model T ? ) with a slider KB and a bigger screen.

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/03/03/p...device-emerge/

I know the minute I see it, I'm gonna kick myself for not waiting [I just loved the way the BB Bold 9700 handled mail and messages, the simplicity of the interface, the battery lasting for days ], but I've made up my mind to not wait any longer than May / June at the latest.

There are other phones I'm interested in are: HTC Incredible, and HTC Evo but right now, nobody's seen them in person since they're due to release in a month or so, and we don't know how much they're gonna cost, what plans come with them, on what carriers etc. so that's why I've pretty much narrowed it between the 2 current Android top dogs : Nexus 1 and Droid.

Right now, Nexus 1 runs on TMobile (AT&T is not an option for me), which makes it a little more accessible for me (cheaper to own) but the network is a little spotty in some areas; and the Droid runs on Verizon, which has a rock-solid network in San Francisco although they do charge a little more for it.

Last edited by tomato; 04-09-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Oh, nooooooooooooooooooo here comes the Incredible!!!

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/04/09/h...ate-confirmed/

Look at these specs

e now official specs are as follows:

* CPU speed: 1 GHz (Snapdragon processor)
* Platform: Android™ 2.1 (Éclair) with HTC Sense™
* Memory: ROM: 512 MB, RAM: 576 MB
* Display: 3.7-inch AMOLED touch-sensitive screen with 480 X 800 WVGA resolution
* Onscreen navigation: Optical joystick
* GPS
* Sensors: G-Sensor, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor
* Connectivity: Bluetooth® 2.1, Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, micro-USB (12-pin micro-USB 2.0)
* Camera: 8 megapixel color camera with auto focus and flash
* Expansion slot: microSD™ memory card (up to 32GB)

hmmmm....
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
My dear, if I can give some simple advice, waiting for the "next best thing" to be released will keep you phone-less for a long time

Although on the other end of the spectrum, keeping on the bleeding edge is a very expensive process...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

^ that's true. That's why I gave myself a deadline and narrowed it down to the Android topdogs above. But another 2 weeks isn't gonna make a big difference ;)

To complicate things further, the 2 phones (OK, 3 or 4 phones ;) I'm looking at, are not on the same network at the moment.

So , for example, the N1 would cost me approx. $20 less a month, maybe a bit more, than the Droid. Doesn't look like much each month, but over 2 years, it's $480.

The Droid on Verizon is rock solid though. *sigh* If the phone is slower, I can't tell because the network is so fast !
Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I love my Motorola Droid. I bought it before the Nexus 1 came out. If I were buying a phone now, I'd take a strong look at the N1 for one particular reason - I don't use the slide out keyboard on the Droid because the virtual one is way faster and easier to use. So the Nexus has the advantage of being slimmer. Other than that, they match up pretty closely. Also depends if you like the chiselled look and feel of the Droid or the soft rounded N1. I also don't think the N1's processor isn't that big of a difference.
I know what you mean, I've noticed the same thing. The droid's physical kb is really nice to have but it's not the greatest. I get frustrated with it and just for that reason, I've started using the virtual KB much more (in landscape).

I think the Droid looks just fine, got no problem with the angular look, can even handle the extra weight. Not a fan of the display in the sun light, though.

this is driving me crazy. Maybe I ought to flip a coin
Old 04-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Go HTC. My gf has/had the moto one and it had issues. I would compare the issues that she was having to the one's that I used to have with my Razr and any other Moto phone that I have had for that matter.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Why? The iphone doesn't even compare.

I have the droid, it's awesome. Although I think the nexus one comes with the snapdragon 1ghz, which you have to root/overclock droid to achieve.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

OK, I put up a poll.

Yes, I know, I left out the iPhone.

No, I didn't forget
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
not to sound harsh Tomato, but geez girl you've been biting at this since at least January. that's when I got my MyTouch.....

make a decision already lol :)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

hahhaha ^ longer, actually! lol. I have wanted to upgrade my phone for a long time, just never really got to it and for someone who's been out of the loop a while, it's a lot of information to take in.

What would make my life a lot easier is to be able to go see the N1 in person someplace and be able to play with it a little longer than 20 seconds (not that I'm not grateful to the total strangers who've let me play with their phones 20 seconds ;)

The reviews will only tell you so much. Ultimately, you have to have the device in your hands and begin using it to notice everything they're not telling you. That's why I ask you peeps for feedback

(not that I don't get your point )

Last edited by tomato; 04-09-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Doesn't help that right now is when they're releasing all the new-and-improved devices.
They seem to do that about twice a year, around mother's day/ father's day, and in October/November.
Nothing wrong with taking your time to get something you're *really* happy with, so you don't have to go back and upgrade constantly.

Tomato.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
Why? The iphone doesn't even compare.

I have the droid, it's awesome. Although I think the nexus one comes with the snapdragon 1ghz, which you have to root/overclock droid to achieve.
Seriously, the only advantage to iPhone is more apps and a slicker UI. And the huge app count is largely made up of duplicate app ideas.

Droid/Nexus excel in many more important areas.

- bigger, sharper screen
- bigger, louder, clearer speaker
- better camera with flash (doubles as flashlight)
- open source
- universal hardware
- Google map navigation (the best GPS software)
- Google's accurate speech to text
- removable battery
- expandable memory
- better network

To name a few....
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote