Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Nexus 1, Droid, or HTC something?
Get the Nexus 1 10 25.00%
Get the Droid 7 17.50%
Wait for the HTC Incredible or Evo 20 50.00%
They're all the same, get the cheapest 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #487
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
A good read -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...ditch-big-red/

Paying retail for phone that aren't as great in design as this? - http://panasonic.jp/mobile/docomo/p06d/

13mp camera, water proof, 1.5ghz...

And since Docomo has SIM unlocking...using non Docomo devices on their network..this is a PLUS.

http://www.nttdocomo.com/pr/2011/001514.html
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #488
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
wow, the poll is year old. Amazing how fast the tech changes. Smartphone madness!
if you mean the poll on top of the thread, it's 2 year old. At least. In June, I'll have had my EVO for exactly 2 years and I'll be out of contract. Yeeeeeeaaaaaa!!!!

VZW has some pretty good phones and a rock solid network. I'm really tempted.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #489
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post

Down with Verizon!

I'd rather be on T-Mobile paying LESS for services, not really unlimited data, better phones, and GMS/World phones.
Meh.... I happen to think it's fair. People who consume huge amounts of data (watching Netflix on their phones, etc., etc.,) shouldn't be expected to pay the same as the occasional user. And we do want carriers to keep up with network upgrades so they don't have the problem AT&T has had for years in SF and NY with people practically bringing the network to a crawl with their iPhones on unlimited data plans.

Don't get me wrong, I like free stuff as much as the next guy but it's simply not realistic. Everybody is doing it and Sprint too will have to follow suit. If they don't do it, then they won't be able to keep up with the network expansion and user experience will suffer. Either way, you're paying for it.

In the end, the best network /carrier is the one that works. Out here VZW is rock solid. Sprint has "issues". AT&T is a disaster. T-Mo is spotty. But they're all kind of OK outside of SF. Figures .

(PS/ Nice wheels, BTW. Love the wheels in your signature)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #490
randeez

Drives: 2008 3dr
I was fully ready to jump ship, had i not been able to upgrade my unlimited plan with verizon. as tomato stated though, down here about all the carriers have decent reliability along the coast, as soon as you head a few miles inland most of them drop off. sprint (work phone) and verizon (personal) both work pretty well statewide but i dont imagine i can start up a new contract with either better then my grandfathered contract now (definitely know i can't with verizon)
randeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #491
randeez

4g
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #492
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Meh.... I happen to think it's fair. People who consume huge amounts of data (watching Netflix on their phones, etc., etc.,) shouldn't be expected to pay the same as the occasional user. And we do want carriers to keep up with network upgrades so they don't have the problem AT&T has had for years in SF and NY with people practically bringing the network to a crawl with their iPhones on unlimited data plans.
You're forgetting one major thing. ALL CARRIERS can throttle you. Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T have all throttled users in the past. Why can't they do it now for those exceeding 2-4gb per month CONSTANTLY? Its not hard~

It's not fair....big shots sitting in the seats in the company need their salary cut.
For the amount that Verizon users pay out of the rest of the carriers all these years, I think we've "earned" to keep the unlimited data and great coverage.
Verizon sneakingly likes to add fees on top of people's bills. And now the shared data plan is another scheme by them to get more money out of us.

Have you seen the crappy phones Verizon has in its lineup, compared to T-Mobile and AT&T? We never got the true Samsung Galaxy S II, a variant to HTC ONE S (Incredible 4g has a different chip and different camera, so it doesn't count).

I've seen my bill go up $2 at the start of this year, but it wasn't in the form of the previous outrage of Verizon charging $2? for not having your credit card attached to their site....that $2 is tucked away in the B.S. charges when you read the fine print.

So.....paying $500-700 for crappy phones on Verizon just to keep my unlimited data isn't justifiable.

T-Mobile seems the better choice, especially since you can swap SIM cards whereas with Verizon and Sprint, you have to abide by their stupid rules and charges even when using another network in a foreign country.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #493
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez View Post

4g
Thats amazing! My friend on his Nexus Galaxy here (San Jose) is getting....if i recall - 7-12mbs.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #494
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post

Don't get me wrong, I like free stuff as much as the next guy but it's simply not realistic. Everybody is doing it and Sprint too will have to follow suit. If they don't do it, then they won't be able to keep up with the network expansion and user experience will suffer. Either way, you're paying for it.

In the end, the best network /carrier is the one that works. Out here VZW is rock solid. Sprint has "issues". AT&T is a disaster. T-Mo is spotty. But they're all kind of OK outside of SF. Figures .

(PS/ Nice wheels, BTW. Love the wheels in your signature)
I'm sorry but the USA has the highest cell phone rates on the planet. Data is not limited, it is totally and 100% unlimited. Bandwidth is basically 100% unlimited. Just because AT@T let their network rot does not mean they had to. They chose to.

You can pick up a real phone in Europe, or better yet, Japan or China, that you can watch local broadcast tv and listen to radio on, get unlimited talk, text, data, and quite a few other things people here in the USA wouldn't dream about their phones doing, and they pay less than half of what we do.

My sister in London has the latest Iphone, unlimited everything and she only pays £40 a month. That is around $60 a month by today's rates. Try getting any phone company in the US to give you that deal and see what happens.

The USA gets totally screwed on internet and phone charges. We pay massively more than anyone else on the entire planet.

Please, don't pretend we are doing anyone a favor by allowing phone companies to bend us over a table at every single turn.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #495
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I'm sorry but the USA has the highest cell phone rates on the planet. Data is not limited, it is totally and 100% unlimited. Bandwidth is basically 100% unlimited. Just because AT@T let their network rot does not mean they had to. They chose to.

You can pick up a real phone in Europe, or better yet, Japan or China, that you can watch local broadcast tv and listen to radio on, get unlimited talk, text, data, and quite a few other things people here in the USA wouldn't dream about their phones doing, and they pay less than half of what we do.

My sister in London has the latest Iphone, unlimited everything and she only pays £40 a month. That is around $60 a month by today's rates. Try getting any phone company in the US to give you that deal and see what happens.

The USA gets totally screwed
One correction, Japan doesn't have unlimited minutes as far as I remember. It is expensive to make a call in japan on cell phones...which is why people use sky mail (carrier attached email address)to text others majority of the time. They don't use SMS unless its an app like LINE app. And yes, they do have better phones always......they've got waterproof smart phones for crying out loud.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #496
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

how do you tether then Mr. Pavel if there is no unlimited? :P
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #497
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
data share plans 6GB a month for almost 100$
that is....rape

Verizon has 10 gb of data for $100..thats not including minutes and texts.

Yep....def. going back to T-Mobile near the end of the year.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #498
randeez

we wifi hotspot'd with the bionic one night , watched a few shows on netflix surfed as usual... and used about 8gb that one night

point of that post being, to replace home internet <I> would need it to be unlimited

Last edited by randeez; 05-25-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #499
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
we wifi hotspot'd with the bionic one night , watched a few shows on netflix surfed as usual... and used about 8gb that one night

point of that post being, to replace home internet <I> would need it to be unlimited
I wish you the best of luck sir!!

I'm getting me a SIM card phone now...i may pay for more data usage ie: 5gb plan or more. I know COMCAST is expensive, but I'l have to rape their bandwidth over the coming years

I've been looking at unlocked Android phones on eBay from trusted sellers...they seem to be worth the $450-600 price tag lol.

I will dearly miss the Incredible...that phone has done so much for me...
Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #500
randeez

as scarey as it is, i hear verizon home internet is very good... just not available in my area, i too am stuck with xfinity for internet i think i have some speed tests from them also
Old 05-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #501
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
as scarey as it is, i hear verizon home internet is very good... just not available in my area, i too am stuck with xfinity for internet i think i have some speed tests from them also
I hear that as well. It'd be crazy expensive to own it though, more so than Xfinity

debating on this SHARP AQUOS smartphone...who needs warranty when its submersible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-qlm...eature=related