Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Untrustworthy Neighbors

I live around neighbors that I don't trust. Is there anything that can be done to prevent my car from getting keyed ?
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
You could hide an IR-camera-capable raspberry-pi nearby**. It won't prevent any scratches (is there anything that would?), but at least you have a good chance at catching them in the act and having a snapshot and/or recording of it as a bonus.

There are some cool video analysis software libraries out there (ie. OpenCV) that can monitor a live feed and react to motion events (such as recording that particular segment to the sd card). A $25 raspberry pi is perfect for this kind of project, along with a $25 camera attachment plus a few extra parts to make it weather resistant/proof.

Found this rather nice example of what I mean:
http://designspark.com/eng/blog/noct...g-with-pi-noir

Hey, at least it would make for a cool weekend project.
That is, if you have a spare $100 bucks and like geeking out on stuff such as this.

Last edited by tk-421; 01-02-2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: ** you could also just leave it inside the car, but the angles are much more limited this way IMO.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Either garage the car or strongly consider moving.
Moving can be a tough chore, but why be uncomfortable
where you are living?
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
YodaBird

I like the Raspberry Pi idea. We are considering to move, nothing like this goes quick, especially a move. We have a whole parking dilemma going on where I live due to a bad ICE Storm the past week.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Not to mention that moving doesn't guarantee that your future neighbors won't be assholes as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
YodaBird

True. My parking is included in the rent, but the tenant below me feel during this problem, they have parked directly beside the entrance / exit of the apartment since the parking area is filled with huge tree branches due to the ICE storm and I'm forced to park in another areas private property because she wants to come and go as she pleases and my landlord was suppose to clean up the mess on the weekend and never did so we could have our own parking space, there is more but I'll trail off topic :)

That will come to a halt tomorrow if the mess is not cleaned up. I'll have to block her car, no other choice !
If she scratches my Yaris because of anger, I will have to sue her pay for a whole new paint Job. It seems you can't have anything 'new' for long anymore, when I'm angry I let it out without damaging peoples stuff, it's a shame that there are many who only know to damage other peoples stuff.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
WRX

Drives: 2012 YarisLE 2014Lexusct200hF
2 weeks after I got my 2013 Wrx someone put a 2 inch door ding into it so I feel you. I was sitting in my Yaris as well and someone opened the door on my car. I dont like being a nasty person but dam where did everyones manners go. Its tiresome to check everyone left and right sometimes I just want to chill. Thats like when all the bad stuff happens lol. So at least your not the only one hope it works out for the better for ya.
WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX View Post
2 weeks after I got my 2013 Wrx someone put a 2 inch door ding into it so I feel you. I was sitting in my Yaris as well and someone opened the door on my car. I dont like being a nasty person but dam where did everyones manners go. Its tiresome to check everyone left and right sometimes I just want to chill. Thats like when all the bad stuff happens lol. So at least your not the only one hope it works out for the better for ya.
Manners? In San Francisco? (JMO, but I am a 5th generation Bay Area native).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
easiest way is not to piss off any neighbors and keep it off the street.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
easiest way is not to piss off any neighbors and keep it off the street.
And the easiest way to live with it, is to not care.

Paint...is just the surface. Cars start out new and shiny; and end up dull and scratched and dented. Along the way they have lots of help.

Accept what you cannot change. When and if you move, you can get the car repainted. Until then...unless they really smash it, it'll drive as well.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
YodaBird

I had an argument on New Years Eve with the tenants below me. Apparently they wanted the parking space that my car is parked in due to the fact the actual parking area still has huge broken trees and the landlords fail to clean it up. She wanted the parking space back, she harassed us, tell us that we have to be fair, my mother who was with me at the time, told her she has to be fair too, she didn't like my mothers position and was calling her rude etc. I had to calm things down, it was reaching a point whereas the other women who is probably in her late 20's to early 30's was going to start a fight with my mother. I'm still worried about the Yaris, don't quite trust them, our landlords have real bad issues, combined with tenants who want to start fights, yeah one would worry.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
I had an argument on New Years Eve with the tenants below me. Apparently they wanted the parking space that my car is parked in due to the fact the actual parking area still has huge broken trees and the landlords fail to clean it up. She wanted the parking space back, she harassed us, tell us that we have to be fair, my mother who was with me at the time, told her she has to be fair too, she didn't like my mothers position and was calling her rude etc. I had to calm things down, it was reaching a point whereas the other women who is probably in her late 20's to early 30's was going to start a fight with my mother. I'm still worried about the Yaris, don't quite trust them, our landlords have real bad issues, combined with tenants who want to start fights, yeah one would worry.
That's why the Yanks originally stipulated a RIGHT to KEEP and BEAR ARMS.

Because an armed society is a polite society (Robert Heinlein).

Since you don't have that option; and your neighbors are less than polite...your choice is twofold. Move to a better neighborhood; or buy a beater car they can key and kick and even set fire to, with minimum loss to you.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
YodaBird

Well there car is more of a beater then ours, obviously. It's a 1999 Honda civic. The rust is pretty bad on the car.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
Well there car is more of a beater then ours, obviously. It's a 1999 Honda civic. The rust is pretty bad on the car.
Do the neighborhood a favor - and set fire to it.

They're not armed, either.

An armed society is a polite society. Conversely...
Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
YodaBird

HaHa ^
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
That's why the Yanks originally stipulated a RIGHT to KEEP and BEAR ARMS.

Because an armed society is a polite society (Robert Heinlein).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #17
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
What a load of hockey pucks!!
An armed society is neither polite or a good society.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #18
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo 2 View Post
What a load of hockey pucks!!
An armed society is neither polite or a good society.
Roy
You base that assertion on, what?

I can tell you Heinlein's reasoning, which was proven in the American West frontier as in other places. When you have reason to believe a stranger may be armed - you do not push your advantage. Not if you're Mayor. Not if you're the gang that controls the town. Not if the guy you meet looks like Justin Bieber.

YOU WATCH YOUR STEP.

Criminals will always have arms - no matter the law. That's what criminals DO - violate laws.

The presence of LAW ABIDING ARMED PERSONS deters crime and criminals. And even sometimes dispatches a few perpetrators.

In Australia, violent crime and homicide ROSE after firearms bans. Which also mirrors American States' experience with firearms prohibitions.