Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Officials move to stamp out street racing vehicles

Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out fo the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down.

The two teenagesrs didn't know each other, but they shared a common grief as they stood under the sweltering sun Wednesday in Rialto, watching helplessly as the cars they had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed and turned into metal pancakes as art of a crackdown on illegal street racing

"Theat's my heart, my dream," said a visibly upset Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his '98 Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life."

Six vehicles were destroyed at an auto graveyard as officials ramped up enforcement against street racing, which has been responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in So. Cal since March

Want more? This was straight from the papers
Paper: LA Times
Section: California
Page: B5

Last edited by eijikikimaru; 06-21-2007 at 08:28 PM.
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Man thats rough, I dont think I could sit there and watch it like he did. Thats a lot of blood, sweat, and cursewords put into that car. But you know what, he gambled on something he knew was illegal and he got the crap end of the stick. Im not gonna say im not guilty of a little hot rodding every once and a while, but I generally do it in places that I for the most part know it wont affect anyone else, not on a busy freeway, not on the streets, or anything like that....who doesnt open her up on the way out to vegas or something like that.

I am past that whole point, when i had my first car, i couldnt hold myself back. But now that I have grown up (just a little), its not worth it anymore, when I get idiots that rev on me, I just kinda laugh and rememeber when I was stupid enough to play that guys game...

I guess they gambled, and lost.....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Some of those crushed were caught when racing in those illegal organized street racing. They either blew something or just plain got caught.

After getting caught, police inspect underneath the hood they look for serial or ID number. If ID's are scratched out or removed then the police get a court order to destroy the car.

One of the dude spent 10k on his car. Had receipt of a transmission that had it's ID scrachted out. Possibly bought stolen goods. How sad to see all that hard work,sweat, and love get crushed.

Then again, he put himself in that situation... risking it all~

Ahhh... to be young and stupid. Learning things the hard way~
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Wow. That's rough
Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Safariworld

Drives: Yaris S
Any chance of getting a complete scan of the article? Not easy to get the LA Times out here...

In our neck of the woods, the predominant form of illegal racing comes from mobs of kids on 50cc mopeds. If you ever thought it was not possible to pop a wheelie on a scooter, these guys would prove you wrong. Its a huge nationwide problem now but the govt here has taken a different approach compared to Cali. Instead of rounding them up, prominent govt officials have started calling the racers 'Malaysia's future leaders' and have rewarded them with trips to the North Pole for parachute jumps (I'm not making this up).

So far, this velvet glove approach has done nothing to curb illegal racing (duh...). Anyhow, check em out on Youtube under the tags of 'Mat Rempit'. Its about the same calibre as ghost ridin'
Safariworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

I'll try to get you a copy of the article... I scanned it at work and also got the paper at work. Hopefully they didn't throw the paper away.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eijikikimaru View Post
I'll try to get you a copy of the article... I scanned it at work and also got the paper at work. Hopefully they didn't throw the paper away.
No need to scan it... Here's the link to the web version of the article (I hope it's not a condensed version):
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=1&cset=true
Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #8
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Trackday: $235
Descent Helmet: $110 Bucks
Gas for the Day: $45 bucks
Experience: Priceless

Street Racing: $0
Helmet: LOL!
Gas: $3.50
Getting you car crushed because you are a dumb-ass: Priceless

I have little sympathy for street racers.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
god damn....

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
well, if they do this to people who are actually street racing, it's understandable... but if they get overzealous and go after any tuned car they come across, that would just be messed up...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Can I add a few to that stack? Mainly crapped out Civics, jacked up SUVs, and street racin minivans?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7zYWXW4Povw
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Yaris Omega
Finsh the Fight

Drives: soon to be Yaris LB
Dammn WTF a minivan beat the crap out of a camaro thats got to be a joke the minivan is as fast as my skyline yeah right
Yaris Omega is offline   Reply With Quote