Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Yaris T-Sport
Nov 2006

Drives: Vitz S1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerlove87 View Post
I started a bit too late and it got dark and I didn't want to keep trying in the dark. I am positive though that none of this system will fit with the stock system. It does seem to fit the car pretty well, but it will not work with any stock components. I will probably have to try this again next weekend or something.

How do you get the little nubs out of the rubber holders to get off the stock exhaust system? I managed to get off the muffler, but it took forever, I was wedging things in the side trying to pry them off, am I missing something?
Any updates? can't wait to see some pics of this center pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Shipment from Thailand is somewhere in the ocean between there and here.
Cool, let me know ASA they get here, I'm down.
Cold Air Induction|Blitz SUS POWER Air Cleaner System|2.4L 2AZ-FE Throttle Body|Blitz Compressor System|Full Light weight pulley kit|GReddy Ti-C exhaust System|Blitz Throttle Controller|T/B Coolant Bypass + Gasket Trimmed|Weight deduction|Exhaust Manifold|Center pipe|PCV Bypassed
Yaris T-Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
shipment should be delivered this week.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #21
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
I finally had a chance to work on this today and....Well umm this is embarrassing, I thought that a "cat-back" exhaust system meat a pipe from the catalytic converter all the way back to the end of the muffler, however, this system appears to entirely delete the catalytic converter and bolt directly on to the headers. I definitely don't want to delete my cats both from an environmental standpoint and an emissions legal standpoint, and none of this system is compatible the oem anything, so you either have to put the entire thing on or nothing on...

So, with that out of the way, I am probably going to return this system. I still have a week left before my 30 day return policy kicks in I believe so if any local bay area members want to trade me any fairly good condition axle-back exhaust for this entire system, I am up for the trade. I would ship it, but I got a 80$ estimate from the UPS store. If you have access to a lift, I am totally willing to let you bolt the thing on and try it first, I basically already bolted on part of it.

As far as pics go, If you guys who are still interested in this system want specific pics I will gladly take them, but there's not much more to see, its just a pipe that goes from the headers all the way to that GORGEOUS muffler!

The muffler is the one thing I will really miss about this system, its sooooo beautiful with those dual exits, it looks ridiculously awesome on the car!

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^

Quote:
none of this system is compatible the oem anything,
1. Which header does it mate with? Because the header you showed was missing the O2 bung, right?
2. Greyhound would ship that for about $35 anywhere.
3. I don't see any hangers on the axle-back section (muffler + tip). Are there hangers in the stock positions?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Will this exhaust sytem bolt up to any aftermarket header or is it only their header that it will bolt up to?

Quote:
I finally had a chance to work on this today and....Well umm this is embarrassing, I thought that a "cat-back" exhaust system meat a pipe from the catalytic converter all the way back to the end of the muffler, however, this system appears to entirely delete the catalytic converter and bolt directly on to the headers. I definitely don't want to delete my cats both from an environmental standpoint and an emissions legal standpoint, and none of this system is compatible the oem anything, so you either have to put the entire thing on or nothing on...

So, with that out of the way, I am probably going to return this system. I still have a week left before my 30 day return policy kicks in I believe so if any local bay area members want to trade me any fairly good condition axle-back exhaust for this entire system, I am up for the trade. I would ship it, but I got a 80$ estimate from the UPS store. If you have access to a lift, I am totally willing to let you bolt the thing on and try it first, I basically already bolted on part of it.

As far as pics go, If you guys who are still interested in this system want specific pics I will gladly take them, but there's not much more to see, its just a pipe that goes from the headers all the way to that GORGEOUS muffler!

The muffler is the one thing I will really miss about this system, its sooooo beautiful with those dual exits, it looks ridiculously awesome on the car!
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
I thought that a "cat-back" exhaust system meat a pipe from the catalytic converter all the way back to the end of the muffler, however, this system appears to entirely delete the catalytic converter and bolt directly on to the headers.
Actually you were correct by thinking that... The store is the one that is wrong by stating this is a "cat-back system" when it is actually a header-back system.

How much of a PITA would it be to modify the pipe to make it a true cat-back?

Last edited by tk-421; 03-08-2010 at 10:44 AM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Actually you were correct by thinking that... The store is the one that is wrong by stating this is a "cat-back system" when it is actually a header-back system.

How much of a PITA would it be to modify the pipe to make it a true cat-back?
1 cut, 1 weld?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

answer my questions first! me me me!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #27
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
answer my questions first! me me me!
I will answer questions in the order they appear, so yes you are first LOL

Garm:
1. It looks like it will bolt up to the stock header, and that is what is advertised in the ebay ad, but I'm not positive because I unbolted the stock one and realized the cat-delete thing and started putting everyhting back on.
2. Cool, I will look into that then and maybe ship it!
3. it actually comes with seperate hangers that wrap around the muffler which is kind of cool because you can slightly adjust the height/how far back it is to make it fit/look perfect; however, the welds on the seperate hangers look iffy, so I was planning on bolstering them with some high tensile strength wire as a precaution so the muffler wouldn't fly off on the freeway.

tk-421 & barber:
I suppose you could cut this and weld it up to make it a true cat-back, there is nothing inside the pipe, it is basically just a pipe directly from the headers all the way back with nothin in the way until it gets to the muffler which is just a giant expansion chamber that leads to a 1 to 2 exit it seems like, none of the maze like stuff you see in a cutaway of a normal muffler (just from me trying to look inside the exhaust with a flashlight.)

Please look at this diagram I made from that bottom pic of a Yaris and tell me if I am correct:
A_underside_wed0120bars.jpg

Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #28
thebarber
daily driver

cut to the right of the resonator in your pic (yes, what you labeled IS the res). after the res you can see that the piping shrinks to 1.75" from 2"
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #29
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

actually, the new pipe is a bit over 2 inches, so I am going to try cutting the resonator off. I might also try to cut it in such a way that I can still use the mid-pipe back just the way they are and just cut up the pipe that was supposed to run from header to mid. That's where i wil have the advantage over the stock system because there will be no resonator or restrictive pipe diameter reduction I guess.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
thebarber
daily driver

theres not a lot of room between the 2nd cat and res to be able to cut off the resonator and rear exhaust section and still be able to easily go back to stock exhaust later...thats why i cut mine after the resonator
Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 AM   #31
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Yeah I think I will just go ahead and do the whole cut n' weld and make myself a custom cat-back from this thing! I guess I will do that next weekend, and record some nice sound clips and pics for people considering buying this system!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #32
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Quote:
Well, it looks like i'm returning the header, I opened my engine and noticed something is missing from the header.... Try to guess what
Attachment 32004

(02 sensor bung)

I will be putting on the cat-back exhaust tomorrow provided it doesn't rain.

the amk header was the same. i just got a hole drilled and a bung welded. been running for months with no cel. however the collector end seems like it doesnt reach far enough so despite there being a gasket there it seems to have a slight leak. sounds cool though..

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #33
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Did you ever get this modified and installed or did you just give up ?
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #34
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Saw this same kit on ebay today and was wondering if anyone has installed it and what do you think? Will it go onto a stock 07 header?
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:12 AM   #35
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Sorry I completely forgot about this thread, so I guess i should update about my experience after having this for almost 6 months now...

The kit is absolutely perfect in every way, it makes the best noise ever, it looks good under the car, the material is great, even after repeated speed-bump abuse, the car even has a noticeable increase in power, especially with my headers. There is just one problem with this kit, and unfortunately it's a big one... the muffler is just too friggin big for the car. I have spent a lot of time going back to my muffler shop and adjusting it myself and buying various length polyurethane hangers, and I just can't get the thing to stop hitting stuff back there. It sounds like i'm driving an unbalanced washing machine around, and i'm constantly trying to kick it around to get it back to a place where it stops smacking into things, but it doesn't work for long, it even hits the brake and e-brake lines occasionally which is worrying me. As a result, as soon as my next paycheck, I am getting something different.

The only way I can recommend this kit is if you want a cheap mid pipe and are planning on cutting off the muffler and getting a different one. The only problem is this kit is probably more expensive than just having some pipe mandrel bent at a shop anyway.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #36
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Thanks for the review. Mind posting some pics of it installed? TIA