Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
XP forever.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #20
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Well I am most likely the geekiest here, and any microsoft product is bound to have issues. It depends on what you want. Windows is easier for users (not computer savvy), but less stable (a fact, not an arguement). If you want stability I would recommend linux, if you want something in the middle I would recommend Mac (although over priced, they are very stable for a desktop software).
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #21
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongopants View Post
Windows is easier for users (not computer savvy), but less stable (a fact, not an arguement).

That's only because Microsoft employs the end user to do Beta Testing of its Final Product. And by employ I mean the end user pays Microsoft for this privilege. SR1 for Windows 7 should be here in a few months.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
I am on the beta for windows 7, and it is easier to use as I said, but it ultimately will be less stable than mac and especially linux, I haven't rebooted my linux machine in 108 days. How long will your windows machine go before it MAKES you reboot. Not a 108 days... maybe a week or two if your lucky. Plus its WAY overpriced, and its not really easier to use than Ubuntu for example. Its just that people are comfortable funding a company with an inferior product that is overpriced because they have seen it all the years. brainwashed basically. Not to mention all of the VERY shady things microsoft does... but we all ignore that b/c we are used to the logo...
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotan1x View Post
Tomato (and sorry I took so long to respond.. I went to the lake for a few days)

What I meant by...

In my job we always look at the current needs but always weigh in the future needs. The immediate needs may be satisfied by not spending money but what happens when hardware starts to die and the software you are using is no longer compatible or supported by its manufacturers. It is a very good idea to create a technology life cycle plan to manage the work places needs. This way the computers and softwares don't fall to the wayside when you are concerned with support.

Where I work we make it a point to replace each machine 42 months after the purchase. We also purchase the extended warranty. Once the machine hits that 42 month old date the business unit has to option to replace the machine or wait until it dies. We (IT) make the recommendation the business unit replace the machine within the next 12 months as to not lose production time if it fails. The idea being.. If it dies at a critcal point then you lose production time turns to loss of money.

We keep up with software licenses and have deals with specific companies to upgrade our licenses at a discount price as long as we continue our maintenance agreements. This way we stay up to date with the latest software.

The best thing about it is if you keep good records on this stuff you can plan when you need to purchase new equipment and software then submit it in a yearly budget.

A good result is workplace moral.. Less 'end user' complaints about slow equipment... Less driver and software update concerns. Saving money and time in the long run. Lets not forget production time improvements..

Buying on need is a good way to save money.. Planning the future need is the better way to thrive.

Thanks very much for your articulate answer. I appreciate your taking the time to write back.

This company's philosophy is to extract as much as possible of the machines (same with people actually ) until they drop. For that reason, I tend to agree with the posters who suggested to forget about XP and go with Win 7 in a couple of months. The applications *require* windows, perhaps would run on Linux but the users would hate it ...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well I am most likely the geekiest here, and any microsoft product is bound to have issues. It depends on what you want. Windows is easier for users (not computer savvy), but less stable (a fact, not an arguement). If you want stability I would recommend linux, if you want something in the middle I would recommend Mac (although over priced, they are very stable for a desktop software).
that's an important factor. Gotta give these guys what they want
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #25
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
XP forever.
Hahaha!! I hear ya though. I have 2 XP machines at home, and I like them just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
That's only because Microsoft employs the end user to do Beta Testing of its Final Product. And by employ I mean the end user pays Microsoft for this privilege. SR1 for Windows 7 should be here in a few months.
I would agree with you.

Quote:
I am on the beta for windows 7, and it is easier to use as I said, but it ultimately will be less stable than mac and especially linux, I haven't rebooted my linux machine in 108 days. How long will your windows machine go before it MAKES you reboot. Not a 108 days... maybe a week or two if your lucky. Plus its WAY overpriced, and its not really easier to use than Ubuntu for example. Its just that people are comfortable funding a company with an inferior product that is overpriced because they have seen it all the years. brainwashed basically. Not to mention all of the VERY shady things microsoft does... but we all ignore that b/c we are used to the logo...
We have 2 Windows server and 2 older ones, non-windows, so yeah, I know exactly what you're saying.

By the way, for the record here, there are different schools of thoughts out there about leaving a machine on or turning it off every night. Some people say it's better for the hard drive to be left running rather than on-and-off all the time. Others say it's better off. I think that, too, is a no-win argument, kind of like macs v. pc, but no need to fight over that! :wmile:

IMO the energy used by a workstation is negligible. There are other ways to save energy: myself, I save energy by hardly ever using the dishwasher, using a broom instead of the vacuum cleaner whenever possible, stuff like that, so that my total consumption of energy stays low. .02

No night to fight over it, really (I mean that, by the way)
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
By the way, there are different school of thoughts out there about leaving a machine on or turning it off every night. Some people will say it's better for the hard drive to be left running rather than on-and-off all the time. Others say it's better off. I think that, too, is a no-win argument, but no need to fight over that!
Each way has it's benefits. Certain ways are better for certain users. Haha, making it like most things in life.

Made a decision on what you want to do yet?
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
I don't want to get into a pissing match over what a piece of crap Windows is (sure it has problems, but it's not the rickety unstable POS most hardcore non-Windows users make it out to be), but in regards to uptime you're WAY off the mark. The uptimes listed on this site are in number of days so that would blow your theory of instability right out the Windows (pun intended.)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
tomato
Super Moderator

Altitude: not rickety unstable as a whole, but some OS's are more stable than others.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Altitude: not rickety unstable as a whole, but some OS's are more stable than others.
I actually don't find it unstable at all as I've gone months of daily use without a reboot (machine powered on 24/7.) The majority of issues with instability come down to poorly written programs and not the OS itself. Security is an entirely different issue and I'll grant that Windows has had more than its fair share of security issues. MS has had some real disasters along the way too, but once in a while they get it right (NT, 200x, 98, XP and now 7) and I believe in giving credit where it's due.

Now, I'm not an MS fanboy and I was once adamantly against DOS/Windows, but I've been using and writing software for computers for a very, very long time and have heard it all and it gets really old. I've worked for companies that develop products for Unix, Linux and Windows and have seen issues on all of them (again mostly due to poor programming) so I just get tired of hearing people spout off about how shitty MS is. /rant off
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #30
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyV View Post
Each way has it's benefits. Certain ways are better for certain users. Haha, making it like most things in life.

Made a decision on what you want to do yet?

Well, the consultants are going to make recommendations soon, so we'll see what happens then. This is just me doing my homework, and getting ready for them.

I think what I'm going to do even before they come, is get Windows 7 in here and do some testing with our old apps, then we'll know exactly what we need to do.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #31
tomato
Super Moderator

Altitude: I meant some Windows OS's are more stable than other Window OS's.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #32
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
Quote:
Well, the consultants are going to make recommendations soon, so we'll see what happens then. This is just me doing my homework, and getting ready for them.

I think what I'm going to do even before they come, is get Windows 7 in here and do some testing with our old apps, then we'll know exactly what we need to do.
Well, if you can handle all that we here have thrown at you, then you can handle any curve balls the consultants throw your way

And that sounds like a good idea. Good luck. And do let us know what you find about Windows 7. I am curious as to what people's reactions are going to be!! Like I think it is funny that noone ever likes a new OS. Haha remember when XP came out? Oh there was outrage! But once users got used to the format, XP grew on them. Curious what will happen with 7
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote