Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #19
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
I guess adultery is OK with you and it doesn't matter if children grow up thinking immorality is proper.
Man, you have read something totally bizarre into that!

I was actually making a joking reply to someone's comment that I thought a bit grandiloquent, something like "the really big question is, WHY do we care?" I said, with tongue firmly in cheek, "Why do we care why we care, if we care?" Really, I don't much care. In the case of someone like Bill Clinton and his adulterous escapades in public office, it very much was my business, as his oath breaking in "private" indicates an untrustworthy character who will not keep his promises in "public" matters, either. But this Woods guy just plays golf. Who really gives a flip about that? I'll laugh at the jokes. This guy's a godsend to comedians, and his vocation and the circumstances of the event have lent themselves to lots of clever wordplay.

What Mr. Woods has apparently done certainly opens him up to public scrutiny, commentary and ridicule. We all are human and subject to falling, but Mr. Woods has taken it to the point of hubris. Not only are the tabloids up to 10 purported paramours at latest count, this bozo felt he was above having to talk to the police investigating the crash! Next time the police come knocking on your door, send your wife to tell them you're taking a nap and don't feel like talking to them. Let me know how that works.

Those of us who have remained faithful to our wives (for over 31 years in my case), despite temptations, opportunities and many examples from "role models" like Mr. Woods, don't need to feel guilty about giving him the horse laugh.

Public ridicule is a very effective way of expressing disapproval for violation of social norms. If it were not for fear of public shame and disapproval, many would do whatever they want. They've rejected any religious or other absolute standard of "what's right," and conscience is a pretty flimsy guide. A wise man said "Conscience is like a wheelbarrow. You can follow it, anywhere you push it."

Teaching children is a big responsibility. A parent should pray for wisdom every day, IMO. And always remember that they learn more from what you do than what you say. They can detect hypocrisy instantly.

And now, back to the latest Tiger jokes. Have you played this game yet?
http://www.break.com/games/tiger-woods-wife-outrun.html
Or watched the Saturday Night Live spoof? (I was going to post it, but the link I had has been taken off of YouTube.)
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Children don't look up to him... adults do. The problem isn't that people we idolize aren't perfect moral citizens, it's that we even look to others to idolize. Instead of looking for role models, try being one for a change. So Woods banged a bunch of chicks... wow he's the first to ever do that now isn't he...? Next story please.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #21
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Old saying: "A stiff dick has no conscience." Please don't try to tell me that it was Woods doing the tempting, that would be a lie! Those gals are also looking for their 15 minutes of Fame, and maybe a slice of a very lucrative pie. And please spare us the pious "I was a good boy" hypocrisy: so what? You just go ahead and believe in your tribal god, and leave us alone.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Tiger who?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #23
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
Believe me, I was not offended by what you said, just completely flabbergasted.

It is ludicrous to say that kids have oral sex because Bill Clinton did. I was pretty young at the time, I didn't go out and find a bunch of chicks that thought it was okay to blow me because the president did the same. Actually, I really could bot have cared any less that the president was not faithfful to his wife. I paid absolutely no mind to it whatsoever.

You're leaving out so many factors in that equation thy it makes me want to scream.

Ever heard of faulse cause fallacy?

"
False Cause:
assuming that because two things happened, the first one caused the second one. (Sequence is not causation.) For example, "Before women got the vote, there were no nuclear weapons." Or, "Every time my brother Bill accompanies me to Fenway Park, the Red Sox are sure to lose."
Essentially, these are arguments that the sun goes down because we've turned on the street lights."

if you're going throw out generalizations like that. Please have evidence to back it up.
coffiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #24
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I see Tiger's mistress list is growing this week. A few more and we've got ourselves a movie contract.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #25
advocate

Drives: car
As long as he's within the bounds of the law who cares what he does.

Just because he's good at golf and many golf fans idolize him doesn't mean he should behave a certain way. It's not his fault people goggle over him. When you're rich and famous, women pour all over you for any opportunity they can get.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #26
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
People ask about who cares. I don' really care, however I find it amusing. His sponsors care. Nike, Buick, Titlest, and other care a great deal. They pay him big bucks for product endorsements. They are buying an image. This image then makes them bigger money. When this image they bought changes they are very concerned. Watch for cancled contracts. Do whatever you want in life. Just be prepared to pay the price when you get caught. A person can only live the lie so long.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #27
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
There will always be celebrities doing stupid things. There will always be people making a big deal about it because they don't want their kids to be influenced. I guarantee that your kids are going to pay more attention to you making a big deal about it, and as such it becomes one.

There's always going to be an affair gone public, always an adultery in the news and tabloids. The only difference we can make is by how we perceive it, if nobody cared, it wouldn't be a story.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #28
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
on the way to work today i heard on the radio that gatorade dropped him...
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #29
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Exactly right on, Alex. However, all one has to do is watch the checkout lines to see who it is that makes all this drivel worthwhile to the purveyors. Can you say, "loser"?
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Now he is taking a leave from golf to work on his marriage.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #31
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
whatever
Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #32
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
lol.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #33
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I suspect FoxNews' headline writers were laughing as they wrote yesterday about "the latest woman to be fingered in the Tiger Woods sex scandal."
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #34
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Which was then followed by "It'll be the last time he sticks his flagpole in 18 holes"

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #35
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
It wasn't sarcastic. If the truth offends, I'm sorry. Teenagers were having oral sex parties.
Oral sex parties, really? Do you believe everything you hear on 60 minutes.
Im 18 and Ive never been to one nor have I ever met someone who has, and I know damn good amount of people my age (well over 150 between 16-25).
coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I cant understand what Tigers private life has to do with the public one. People are in such a huff about values and morality while all he's done is to do what is commonly done all over the Globe every day. Morality is one thing while people are often another. As often as not.
CNN and Fox news really cash in when stuff like this happens. Their motivation is to rile their audience all out of proportion which keeps them glued to the screen long enough so they can bombard them with commercials. So it's not about Tiger at all. It's about the business of spreading sensationalist yellow journalism around so as to sell premium commercial space. Tiger will be back soon enough and we'll forget this non-event like so many before. Perhaps we should pay more attention to stuff that really matters. When you have such a fine car like a Yaris you might end up feeling sorry for Tiger because he probably doesn't own one. Poor guy.

Last edited by birdman; 12-12-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: missed something
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote