Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Fog lights without a switch

I know this has been covered vaguely over a couple threads, but I thought it deserved its own... plus I just plain want to know.

I am planning on doing an HID projector retrofit soon. I am aware that I lose high beams, which I am fine with. HID's beat stock high beams any day.

Now, this leaves me with a question. Is it possible to wire a set of HID fog lights to the stalk next to your steering wheel? In other words, I want one click to turn on my parking lights, two clicks to turn on the projectors, and with a flick forward (which currenty turns the brights on) I want to turn the fog lights on.

Possible? Easy? What are the challenges if any? I think that would be one sick setup.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Isn't that what Violin had set up? It should just be a matter of finding and rerouting a few wires.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
anythings possible... its (as above) just a matter of hooking the "on - off" wiring to what you want your fogs to come on with (and since the yaris has a grounding switch system you wont have to worry about blowing fuses/low power when tapping into the stock wire)

with this said, you'll still have to bust out the handy dandy tech manual and read/search for the wiring diagram for the parking lights

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
may be a lil difficult, because when you hit your brights, don't it cut power to your low beams? I could be wrong, but I know that is how it is in most vehicles with quad lamps
Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Thumbs up

When speaking of wiring, it should be just a matter of of routing the High beams wiring to the fog lights. Just a matter of getting the right one from the headlights sockets.
If Black Yaris is indeed correct, and flicking the high beams shuts down the low beams ( I don't think this is the case though) it should be still simple enough: Since the Yaris has a grounding switch, just parallel the high with the lows (although you might need a power diode when routing to the fogs to avoid them to come on with the low).

The wiring in both cases would like this (just remove the diode if not necesary)

Lows wiring------------headlights
|
---
/\
|
Highs wiring-----------foglights

The diode could be possibly be replaced with a relay, but right know I can't think of the correct wiring... Got a freaking BST implementation to do.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
If you use the harness that I did, your low beams will stay on when you switch on the fogs.

If you ever have the need for high beams now, you'll still want them after you go HID. With properly aimed projectors, you won't see that far down the road on low beams. You could always retrofit a set of bi-xenon projectors if you want - you don't have to lose your high beams. With them, the HID bulb always stays lit, you just change the aiming with a solenoid. Acura TL projectors are among the best and should fit our headlamps pretty well.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Another idea would be to get a stalk from a car that came with Fogs from the factory. Now I am not totally sure but most factory Fogs can be turned on via the stalk. On my Chryslers you would pull the end of the stalk out.

Even if this is not the case with the Yaris there might be another Toyota you could yank the stalk from.

Having the fogs turn on in the bright position is a bad idea since your low beams shut off when you put the brights on.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
here this should work!

ok for canadian models...with fogs.. ...to keep drl,fogs,hid bi-xenon with high beam.. here it is u just need to cut 2 wires...headlight should have 3 wires, ground, low,and high. cut the low beam wire.. then cut the positive wire on the fogs..interconnect them (switch them 2 wire with each other)..therefore when the car is on ur fogs is running on 10v (drl). once the headlight switch is turned on that should activate fogs on 12v and ur hid ( which was interconnected w/ the fogs.which is actually the fog light. high beam is still ur high beam.....
so 2 wire interconnected...drl=fogs=lowbeam, fog switch =(hid)low, then high beam remain as is.....no relay needed may need to supply a lower amp for the fogs..coz its running amp from the headlight..and fog amp should be sufficient to run the hid bi xenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I know this has been covered vaguely over a couple threads, but I thought it deserved its own... plus I just plain want to know.

I am planning on doing an HID projector retrofit soon. I am aware that I lose high beams, which I am fine with. HID's beat stock high beams any day.

Now, this leaves me with a question. Is it possible to wire a set of HID fog lights to the stalk next to your steering wheel? In other words, I want one click to turn on my parking lights, two clicks to turn on the projectors, and with a flick forward (which currenty turns the brights on) I want to turn the fog lights on.

Possible? Easy? What are the challenges if any? I think that would be one sick setup.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Lol i just took my HID's off my fogs 20 min ago....ive got somethin coming for u chino...mwahahaha