Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #19
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
u got one bored cop if he gave u a ticket for windows......and a idiot one at that...who gives out tickets for tinting....if u can drive it, no fuckin worries
Welcome to Bumble Phuck New Jersey.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
well come over to the states with that attitude and drive anywhere off an expressway/highway and we'll see how long you feel that way....
HUH!? Me sayin its wrong for peeps gettin tickets for their windows tinted? I mean yea aust is strict on hotted up cars (obviously), but not that strict on window tinting, exhaust noise pollution or even smoked tail lights.

Cuz ive been pulled over for my tail lights last week. The cop told me he has a yaris too and why my tail lights are darker than his and i couldnt lie to him and said "i lightly smoked them." He let me go after.

Well all cops/countries are diff. But thats just my opinion, targetin little mods on cars and givin them a ticket is wrong. I understand that i think violin got a ticket cuz its illigal yer? Plus i wouldnt be surprised if i got a ticket for my smoked lights or my painted headlights. I chose to make that risk so ya.

Ill try cut down on my swearin.....soooorrrryyyyy, i tend to swear when i feel like something is stupid and pretty much wrong.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #21
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Mine are tinted 35% all around and the visibility its just great and believe me I live in the carrebean bad weather is our thing here But yet 35% ain't legal but what the hell its all for the beauty
Old 11-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #22
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
The police don't really enforce tint laws down there do they? I was down in Bayamon end of Sept. (first time back to PR in 20 years) and saw all kinds of things that would police up here going crazy. lol
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #23
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
HUH!? Me sayin its wrong for peeps gettin tickets for their windows tinted? I mean yea aust is strict on hotted up cars (obviously), but not that strict on window tinting, exhaust noise pollution or even smoked tail lights.....*
well i more or less commenting on your "just do it"*attitude; where here in the states if you get pulled over for almost anything (well atleast where I live in NY) and you have tinted windows then your asking for another ticket... or if you drive past a bored cop.

example, where I live almost every 8th car does not have a front licence plate... so when I moved back from school I never put mine back on my blazer (fell off during off-roading...). So i drove around for 6months with no front licence plate. I go visit some family that live in the sticks and not 5mins off the expressway i get pulled over by a statey (mind you I passed atleast 1-2 cops a day in the city) for no front licence plate.

so if anyone wants to tint their windshield to xx% then go right ahead, but I would not recommend it; it will look nice, but draw the attention of those law types.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #24
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
The police don't really enforce tint laws down there do they? I was down in Bayamon end of Sept. (first time back to PR in 20 years) and saw all kinds of things that would police up here going crazy. lol
This is how things work down here (Puerto Rico):
If you get cought with ilegal tints the law states that you can either remove them at the moment and free yourself of the ticket or you recieved a $50 ticket, if you don't removed them and take the car to the police station in 24hours you get another for $50. So really the tints can cost you a $100 ticket. But people here just don't care they take them of at the moment or simply go the next day without tints and the ticket is removed. The funny thong is that after they leave the police station they go and put them back on

But police rarely do this because lets take a reality chek,
Puerto Rico has higher criminality than more than half of the States ( yes even if you can't believe this happens on a 123 x 35miles island).. Whats my point? Why would they waste time gettin someone with ilegal tints when they could be preventing real crime (kills, drog transactions etc..)

This doesn't only apply here but its a general idea
Old 11-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #25
the_saint
50% borikén

That's what I figured...the police have better things to do than ticket people for tint.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:28 AM   #26
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
The law is rather odd here in NY, dark as desired on the rears/hatch and none on the fronts. It is designed to protect police officers as they approach the car but it is severely flawed IMO. Theoretically if one was planning an evil scheme it would be to late by the time the officer reaches the crystal clear fronts.

They will ticket us here in Rochester just for tint too, they often have “roadblocks” set up on entrance ramps to the interstates, easily nailing tons of people for registration, inspection and tint violations. $110 plus court cost and mandatory verified removal for me on my old Wrangler with 5%. No telling what they would do for the front windshield!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #27
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Give you the Rodney King treatment.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #28
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
My father 56 Royal lancer had tinted windshield..
But this is a custom show car that got trailered most everywhere.

The tint was 75% and I don't care what anyone says.... it's not safe for night driving. even with such a light tint.
It's no different then driving at night with 75% tinted sunglasses. It's retatrded and unsafe and puts other motorists at risk. It's hard enough as it is seing animals and pedestrians walking on the streets as it is, tinting the windshiels or wearing sunglasses at nigh obscure your vision even more.

It's not legal for a good reason...

FWIW I have a 50% tinted visor on my motorcycle helmet and it's darn near impossible to see people walking at nigh. I carry an amber shield in my back pack for night riding.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
italianmartialartist

Drives: 2007Toyota Yaris Sedan
Post Honestly...

Honestly I would not recommend doing it for the following reasons....
1. It is Illegal unless you're in Florida lol
2. It's very dangerous not because of visibility, but that the tint is a film that's placed over the inside of the window so if you get into an accident the windshield will not break as it is supposed to. There was once a case when there was an accident and the guy's head went through the window but the rest of his body didn't because of the film holding the window together and he lost his head instead of just being flung out of the car.
3. As someone did state earlier there is a clear cloating just to stop the bad sun ray's, however for the reason stated above i wouldn't do it.

I do love the look's of the tint on the front though. It makes the whole interior darker and does protect the insides of your vehicle. I alway's admire people that have them on their car's however I'm a lil more concerned about the safety lol. Well I hope this helped

Thanks for listenin to my two cents :-D
italianmartialartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #30
the_saint
50% borikén

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianmartialartist
Honestly I would not recommend doing it for the following reasons....
1. It is Illegal unless you're in Florida lol
2. It's very dangerous not because of visibility, but that the tint is a film that's placed over the inside of the window so if you get into an accident the windshield will not break as it is supposed to. There was once a case when there was an accident and the guy's head went through the window but the rest of his body didn't because of the film holding the window together and he lost his head instead of just being flung out of the car.
3. As someone did state earlier there is a clear cloating just to stop the bad sun ray's, however for the reason stated above i wouldn't do it.

I do love the look's of the tint on the front though. It makes the whole interior darker and does protect the insides of your vehicle. I alway's admire people that have them on their car's however I'm a lil more concerned about the safety lol. Well I hope this helped

Thanks for listenin to my two cents :-D
I think point #2 is somewhat invalid because modern cars (atleast DOT approved ones) utilize laminated safety glass in their windshields...which I would imagine, in effect, does the same thing as tint/film would do.
If the person would have been ejected with more force he possible would have gone completely through the windshield...or if you reverse the scenario...a person without tint on the windshield ejected with LESS force could have experienced the same result as the case in reason #2.

Thanks for listening to my $0.02

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 PM   #31
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
if you are worried about safety, just wear your seat belt, and stay in your car ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #32
italianmartialartist

Drives: 2007Toyota Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
I think point #2 is somewhat invalid because modern cars (atleast DOT approved ones) utilize laminated safety glass in their windshields...which I would imagine, in effect, does the same thing as tint/film would do.
If the person would have been ejected with more force he possible would have gone completely through the windshield...or if you reverse the scenario...a person without tint on the windshield ejected with LESS force could have experienced the same result as the case in reason #2.

Thanks for listening to my $0.02

:) Hmm ok I could beleive that, each case would have it's own scenario and I have heard of the laminated safety glass but i don't know all the info on it I just heard about it comming out.
italianmartialartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #33
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanby
For those who've tinted their current or previous cars...

I am debating putting tint on the front windshield vs just doing an eyebrow. What concerns me is safety & reduced visibility at night. For example, night time driving + bad driving conditions like heavy rain. How about a light tint like 50% ?

So what's your opinion? Yay or nay?

as nice as it looks I vote NO, its a heat score the cops will nab you, and it will be hard to see at night during rain storms and such, and who knows what it will do when it comes time to defog the window
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 AM   #34
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Why dont u light tint it ? like 80%??
Old 11-25-2006, 03:03 AM   #35
Billstein
Whew Who..

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchs and Tacoma
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
It is illegal in most states I think. Anyway, how does tint look over the dot matrix?
Mine is fine and smooth
"HIS"2007 Yaris Hatch MedSilverMetallicPower PQ Package 17" Wheels Spoiler TRD ExhTipStiletto100 Radio Armrest 50% tint windshild 35% front windows 5% rear Aluminum TRD Shift Knob Keyless Entry VIP Alarm TRD Cold Air Intake
Billstein is offline   Reply With Quote