Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
ROFL PWNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTGgT_V5F8

Happens to me everytime I see 5-0.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
lol my buddy may have seen that happen in person
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2Uv...watch_response

Did you happen to see this one too?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Jesus that last one was intense lol

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
there are tons of videos showing crashes on that stretch. crashes like every weekend
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
I realize that you guys are amused by these vids, but being a motorcyclist.... I cringe. Plus, these videos are from roads friends of mine or I have personally ridden.

This is the MAIN reason I switched from canyon riding to the track. I've known some amazing people who have been seriously injured and some who have passed away from their collisions from cars, pavement, or guard rails.

A lot of the time there are riders who will ride outside their limits and without proper gear, but there are the unfortunate times that a car or other bike will cross the double yellow into their lane, debris on the road, or a random animal darting from behind a bush... all causing incredible injury or death.

I really wish you guys wouldn't laugh at these people's accidents (especially the guard rail one since that's how my friend's husband died, leaving behind his wife and 2 kids). For every accident you may see on you tube that a rider fortunately walked away from, just think of all those who riders weren't so fortunate.
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
I realize that you guys are amused by these vids, but being a motorcyclist.... I cringe. Plus, these videos are from roads friends of mine or I have personally ridden.

This is the MAIN reason I switched from canyon riding to the track. I've known some amazing people who have been seriously injured and some who have passed away from their collisions from cars, pavement, or guard rails.

A lot of the time there are riders who will ride outside their limits and without proper gear, but there are the unfortunate times that a car or other bike will cross the double yellow into their lane, debris on the road, or a random animal darting from behind a bush... all causing incredible injury or death.

I really wish you guys wouldn't laugh at these people's accidents (especially the guard rail one since that's how my friend's husband died, leaving behind his wife and 2 kids). For every accident you may see on you tube that a rider fortunately walked away from, just think of all those who riders weren't so fortunate.
Valid points all around, specifically about people riding outside their limits. I, by no means, meant to show any disrespect to those who have lost loved ones due to unfortunate accidents. Videos like this tend to be looked at from many different perspectives, but the one common one I think we all see is that improper training or riding can lead to dangerous consequences.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I wonder, statistically, if more motorcyclists have accidents because they lost control of their bikes, or because someone in a car caused their accident in some way?

The two videos shown are solo accidents.

It's just a question, I don't have an opinion about it, nor am I defending bonehead car drivers.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Do you guys have videos of cars taking those sweet turns?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I agree the first one looks like the guy lost it when he saw the police car.

second one is hard to look at. Glad the guy made in out of there in one piece.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I believe that anyone that has rode a bike for 50,000 miles has a story of a close call.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post

look at all the sand around there.

1) could have been cold tires

2) could have been worn tires

3) most likely...lack of rider skill (target fixation)

It looked like he humped up a bit after seeing the cop, should have
stuck the turn, leaned more and kept the gas on and take a ticket later with
an unscraped Kawi...

I have raced motorcycles and studied motorcycle racing and am pretty
good at it actually, but on the track !!! On the street, sure you can do
anything you can do at a track, but the X factor is/are animals, dirt, grease, oil, other vehicle. the street is NEVER a place to bust-out-a-cool-move unless
you have pre-ridden that section twice that same half-hour and know the conditions...and still....all bets are off

What I saw was...a knob on a bike...
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I wonder, statistically, if more motorcyclists have accidents because they lost control of their bikes, or because someone in a car caused their accident in some way?

It's just a question, I don't have an opinion about it, nor am I defending bonehead car drivers.
statistically, in all single-vehicle bike accidents... the bike and tires almost never exceeds physics and the capability to make the turn.

is it usually rider error.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 07-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ that wasn't my question, though. My question was comparing cycle-only accidents vs. those caused by another vehicle (presumably a car).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
First and foremost, my post was just addressing watching these videos and laughing at riders' misfortune. I think that as a society, we have been desensitized via all the jackass style videos and those with special affects that we lose the reality of the actual video. Whether or not someone was a dumbass, someone was hurt in this vids (like the guard rail). You don't know what injuries these people suffered... I doubt he walked away completely unscathed. I'm just thankful he walked away. I just don't think it's something to laugh at... All I'm trying to point out is to try to be a little more human and empathize. What if it was you or someone you love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
Valid points all around, specifically about people riding outside their limits. I, by no means, meant to show any disrespect to those who have lost loved ones due to unfortunate accidents. Videos like this tend to be looked at from many different perspectives, but the one common one I think we all see is that improper training or riding can lead to dangerous consequences.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

That's a good question. I think it depends on the road. Canyons... I personally think it's more rider error, even though there are quite a few cases of other bikes/cars crossing over the double yellow, or other uncontrollable factors. Freeways, I think it would be more so other vehicles, even though there are people who wreck their bikes from stunting while on the fwy. It's a real toss up. Perhaps all the statistics balance out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I believe that anyone that has rode a bike for 50,000 miles has a story of a close call.
I know I've had my close calls, that's why I ride track only now. I've been cut off by a truck really badly and was able to keep my bike upright (thankfully). I mean, you can only be SO defensive as a motorcyclist. At some point you ask yourself if certain things are worth it, like canyon riding. Yeah, it's a blast... but I've seen way too many tragic things to ever go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
look at all the sand around there.

1) could have been cold tires

2) could have been worn tires

3) most likely...lack of rider skill (target fixation)

It looked like he humped up a bit after seeing the cop, should have
stuck the turn, leaned more and kept the gas on and take a ticket later with
an unscraped Kawi...

I have raced motorcycles and studied motorcycle racing and am pretty
good at it actually, but on the track !!! On the street, sure you can do
anything you can do at a track, but the X factor is/are animals, dirt, grease, oil, other vehicle. the street is NEVER a place to bust-out-a-cool-move unless
you have pre-ridden that section twice that same half-hour and know the conditions...and still....all bets are off

What I saw was...a knob on a bike...
I guarantee the first video was just that the rider got freaked out by seeing the cop and lost his line. All he's walking away with is a scratched bike, a bruised ego, and a ticket.

The video that upset me the most was the rider flying into and over the guard rail. We don't know all the conditions out there, but thankfully the rider wore gear and was able to survive the wreck. It's not our place to speculate or assume he's lacking riding skill (even though it looked like he was really stiff on the bike going into that turn). Some of the best motorcyclists I know (who have been riding 40+ years on and off the track) have had their close encounters, high sides, low sides, you name it. They have the scars to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
statistically, in all single-vehicle bike accidents... the bike and tires never exceeds physics and the capability to make the turn.

is it usually rider error.
I agree. Then again, if there's a car racing down the same canyon in the opposite direction and comes into the bike's lane.... what then? It's not rider error. Dirt/debris in the road, animals, all these things are out of the rider's control and he/she has to leave those things up to "fate" if they still go tearing through a canyon road.

The track is SO much better not just for the course: no debris, no oncoming traffic, controlled riders, everyone wearing gear, medical personnel standing by...
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
All he's walking away with is a scratched bike, a bruised ego, and a ticket.
A speeding ticket is all I can think of, I hope you can't get one for just laying down the bike.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
I've always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle, but I've always kind of pushed it to the back burner, in part due to having family members who have worked in the medical field.

As mentioned above, some of the injuries you can see from bike accidents are pretty terrible. A lot of people in the medical field will tell you some of the worst injuries that are seen COMMONLY are from bike riders.

Even in a Yaris, if you smoke a deer doing 80, your car will be done, but YOU might live. On a bike, no such luck.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
No motorized vehicle should be made to balance on two wheels...

Call me what you will, but where I live at least, these things are a death trap, thanks to all the points mentioned above - lack of rider skill, road condition, other drivers who cant, etc.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote