Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
SO is my tv on it's last leg?

so here's what I'm workin' with my tv is like.........well kinda old(I've had it for a while) it's a emarson(I think it's spelled right) 13". Ok now that that's over with all I have is like a red-ish/blue-ish/white-ish line right in the middle and nothing else, here's the kicker the sound STILL works fine. I've tried turnin' it off for a lil bit then turnin' it back on.....no bueno. So anybody got and thing else to try? or do I have to get another TV?

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
doesn't sound good!

Can't you pick one up on Craigslist for real cheap? out here, people are kicking them out to the curb because they're getting these fancy shmancy HDTV's instead, so a 4 or 5 y old TV in good working order shouldn't be too hard to find, maybe even in the free section of CL?

check this out

http://columbus.craigslist.org/zip/1493948140.html
Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I offered him my TV for cheep
Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
have you tried replacing the cable?? With computer monitors, lines "missing" or colored lines across the screen usually means a bent pin on the monitor cable...
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

A lot of the ones out at the curb still work fine (if they haven't been rained in too much.) They just aren't wanted anymore. Same with microwaves.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
A lot of the ones out at the curb still work fine (if they haven't been rained in too much.) They just aren't wanted anymore. Same with microwaves.
The one I put out to the curb made arc lightning about 5 inches long inside the TV if you tried to turn it on... maybe I should have left a note...
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Sorry to say this, but your tube is fried. Or at least close to it. Seeing as how good old mom-n-pop TV repair shops are disappearing, your best bet is to just get a new LCD or Plasma. I would suggest Fry's (no pun intended) or Best Buy (they always have specials online). The price is worth the picture clarity

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Qmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
have you tried replacing the cable?? With computer monitors, lines "missing" or colored lines across the screen usually means a bent pin on the monitor cable...
no but being so old of a tv is it WORTH replacing and could I FIND another cable. I've had this thing for quite a while......since at least middle school, a good 9 or 10 years. This happened this mornin' 2 and I just turned it on/off for a lil bit and it was good....

Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
How is it going Q havent seen u in a while bud. 1st its Emerson but its ok they know what u mean 2nd I am surprised that TV has lasted that long Emerson is not a good brand my advice save a lil money and go to Walmart and get you a nice Samsung (what I have) or Sonyor Panasonic since what you have is a 13" i think it was well I imagine ur gonna go just about couple inches bigger? or not but if its a small it aint that expensive .
Or you can go Tomato's way get u a used one
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Qmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Sorry to say this, but your tube is fried. Or at least close to it. Seeing as how good old mom-n-pop TV repair shops are disappearing, your best bet is to just get a new LCD or Plasma. I would suggest Fry's (no pun intended) or Best Buy (they always have specials online). The price is worth the picture clarity
Yeah I got a 27"(I think) Flat panel LCD HDTV(that I got free w/the car) that's hooked up to my PS3 right now, I'm about half tempted to move all of that from the basement to up here in my room here.....then I'll have my PS3, cable and movies(on the PS3) all in one place. Wadda you think?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Qmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
How is it going Q havent seen u in a while bud. 1st its Emerson but its ok they know what u mean 2nd I am surprised that TV has lasted that long Emerson is not a good brand my advice save a lil money and go to Walmart and get you a nice Samsung (what I have) or Sonyor Panasonic since what you have is a 13" i think it was well I imagine ur gonna go just about couple inches bigger? or not but if its a small it aint that expensive .
Or you can go Tomato's way get u a used one
yeah been kinda busy, almost txted you the other day. yeah if I do go and buy a brand new one I'll prolly get it from Meijer(aka work) we got some pretty sweet prices and I get a discount also

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
yea whatever works for ya. Yeah we got that store here 2
Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmobile View Post
Yeah I got a LCD HDTV(that I got free w/the car) that's hooked up to my PS3 right now, I'm about half tempted to move all of that from the basement to up here in my room here.....then I'll have my PS3, cable and movies(on the PS3) all in one place. Wadda you think?
You'll have one pimped-out looking room. Go for it!

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
Qmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
You'll have one pimped-out looking room. Go for it!
now if only it was a CLEAN pimped out lookin' room.....hmm maybe I'll have to do that.....tomorrow before I leave 4 work. course it would make more sence since my DVD collection is up here 2 hmm put my blu-rays in the dvd case too...and my bed has a lil storage area in the headboard I could put my games there(it's what I did when I had my 360)

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

the hole time i am here thinking ohh NO the man aint got a TV idk some ppl cant live with out a TV
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
Qmobile

Id be one of them people.....belive it or not it helps me get to sleep

Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i know lcds(and especially plasmas) have come down in price recently, but i'm not completely sold on them yet. we've got two perfectly-good tvs right now(one a 27" panasonic flat-tube and the other a 13" toshiba tv/dvd combo). the picture quality is excellent(particularly the panasonic), but the only thing i don't like is how much tv programming is set to widescreen now(these are both 4:3 ratio). watching football on sunday is a little frustrating because i can't see the personal stats from other games across the bottom(yeah, i'm one of those fantasy-football losers ). anyways, i've looked at lcd/plasmas in the stores because of this, but i keep coming back to the fact that our TWO tvs work perfectly fine! also, i've seen the 'slowdown' in some of my buddies' widescreens and i'm not impressed! not to mention i've read that they can be energy-hogs(plasmas use 4 times the energy of a CRT - even the newest 'energy efficient' leds use 25% more). i've never had that problem with my CRTs(cathode ray tubes). granted, i did have to buy a couple of those digital converters a year or so ago(don't get me started on that!), but otherwise i haven't had any issues. prices keep going down and technology keeps getting better so when one of them finally breaks down i'll get the best technology i can afford. good luck with whatever you decide to do!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
sounds toast... or you got a bent pin (but that doesn't make much since cause you still have sound... so.... toast.

I posted up a 13" on craigslist about 6 months ago for free... had 3 e-mails within an hr, gave a DVD player away with it. CRT's are pretty much given away on craigslist.. even the good ones with larger screens and fine picture quality go for under $50 sometimes.

I don't know if I buy the whole "crt's are more efficient concept"... I find that very hard to believe.... I know when it comes to COmputer monitors LCD is WAY more efficient.... if TV's are a different story... it's not because of the type of display, but rather something else that engineers designed into them.

Last edited by talnlnky; 12-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote