Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #145
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
My problematic Yaris is my third Toyota. I never had a problem with the first two. I traded a five-speed '05 xB1 with 50K miles for my Yaris 5-speed. The Yaris was a nightmare to drive the first year.

I noted this with the dealer three times over 2.5 years. When I went back in for some serious attention (55K miles) the service manager lied to me. The whole service department had been lying to me for 2.5 years. The state Toyota rep had me take it to another dealer and they lied saying the metal on metal clunking was "allowable". So, the Gulf States rep is a liar.

TOYOTA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS OR WARRANTIES!

I am now going to have to go to the state AG office and every other place in creation to get some attention on this defective design and the subsequent damage.

Note: The Big Foot Mod didn't come out of no where, it was a necessary fix to a problem that many people experienced. My original service manager admitted, by accident, he was aware of the dead pedal height difference in our near screaming match.

I have driven clutch only cars for 40 years. This is not something I have a problem with and my Scion (same drivetrain) was flawless. The Scion xB1 doesn't have a "dead pedal" extending to the clutch.

I had an independent mechanic diagnose my problem before I wrote my dealer's owner and I have slack in the inside CV joints and possible slack inside the transmo (splines).

I traded my xB1 at 50K miles because of its high mileage in just two years. I should have kept it.

Lesson: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, anybody, will be happy to take your maintenance money with a smile. Take them an expensive warranty repair and expect to be beaten like a redheaded step child. Toyota's don't normally have problems before 60K miles but if they do....see CAPS above.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #146
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
just because you are used to a cable accelerator, and a longer friction point in the clutch, doesn't make the car bad, it makes you not willing to learn to drive it, you expect it to be exactly like everything you have ever owned. Well its not.

^if you had an independent mechanic take apart your motor, why didn't you have him fix it?^

I have ALL the symptoms people here are bitching about, but you know what? Its just you (whoever is bitching). I have no issues with shifting/starting on hills/slipping clutch. Learn to drive your NEW car, with its NEW quirks, don't expect it to act like your OLD car did. Its not the same vehicle.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #147
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I have ALL the symptoms people here are bitching about, but you know what? Its just you (whoever is bitching). I have no issues with shifting/starting on hills/slipping clutch. Learn to drive your NEW car, with its NEW quirks, don't expect it to act like your OLD car did. Its not the same vehicle.
Ouch but true!!! I grew up on a farm and drove crapy-ol-stuff with burnt out clutches and severely worn drivetrains. We only used clutches for starting and stopping and nothing else once we learned technique. It still bothers the hell out of passengers when I shift without a clutch............
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #148
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
spin the wheels, melt the ice, get traction, boom you're off!
lol!

seriously, I ride the clutch often for first gear, once i'm moving it's fully engaged, but djgese do i ride it under 5 mph, and to be honest I could care less; you should too, and here's why: by the time this will ever matter in any way, shape, or form the car will be 8-10 years old, and have it's 3rd owner by then (well like 90% of us atleast). And if you keep this car for 10 years and it still is putting along (as I suspect it will) then you my friend have had a great investment on your hands.

can we rename this thread to something more realistic? perhaps, 1st gear sucks goat..., but let's stop the 'whining'?
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #149
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Wow, sorry to hear this all.
Makes me feel better about the A/T I got "stuck" with since I could'nt snag a five speed with the coveted power pkg. that I so enjoy.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #150
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Shift, Grind, Shift, Grind, Cuss, Lear, Cuss, Learn, Repeat..........
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #151
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
TOYOTA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS OR WARRANTIES!
I could name 3 people off hand who have had their yaris transmission replaced under warranty, but you aren't listening anyway.

Toyota doesn't cover operator error, the yaris would start at 20k if they did.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #152
woof

Quote:
just because you are used to a cable accelerator, and a longer friction point in the clutch, doesn't make the car bad, it makes you not willing to learn to drive it, you expect it to be exactly like everything you have ever owned. Well its not.

^if you had an independent mechanic take apart your motor, why didn't you have him fix it?^

12-22-2009 06:07 PM
My xB1 had fly-by-wire and was flawless at 50K miles. My mechanic and assistant diagnosed slack in cv joints and possibly inside transmission. I've driven nothing but clutches my entire life. Improve you reading comprehension.

Quote:
seriously, I ride the clutch often for first gear, once i'm moving it's fully engaged, but djgese do i ride it under 5 mph, and to be honest I could care less; you should too, and here's why: by the time this will ever matter in any way, shape, or form the car will be 8-10 years old, and have it's 3rd owner by then (well like 90% of us atleast). And if you keep this car for 10 years and it still is putting along (as I suspect it will) then you my friend have had a great investment on your hands.

can we rename this thread to something more realistic? perhaps, 1st gear sucks goat..., but let's stop the 'whining'?
Unfortunately, it started mattering after six months of ownership. This is not my thread...someone else started it and named it.

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear this all.
Makes me feel better about the A/T I got "stuck" with since I could'nt snag a five speed with the coveted power pkg. that I so enjoy.....
The Gulf States guy said Toyota is making it harder for people to get a manual transmission. I guess it's less chance of warranty problems with the a/t.

Quote:
I could name 3 people off hand who have had their yaris transmission replaced under warranty, but you aren't listening anyway.

Toyota doesn't cover operator error, the Yaris would start at 20k if they did.
First, tell me what they did to have that done? Second, operator error, in the case of an experienced driver, can only come from a defective design especially since I drove the identical drivetrain for 50K miles before the Yaris. Toyota quality has fallen quite a bit. The massive recalls they have going right now are costing about $800M. That's just shy of a billion. On another forum (non-car) someone had started a thread on Toy and two other people have had the same problem with warranty work being denied for lesser problems.

I would like to know what the 20K comment means?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #153
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
First, tell me what they did to have that done? Second, operator error, in the case of an experienced driver, can only come from a defective design especially since I drove the identical drivetrain for 50K miles before the Yaris. Toyota quality has fallen quite a bit. The massive recalls they have going right now are costing about $800M. That's just shy of a billion. On another forum (non-car) someone had started a thread on Toy and two other people have had the same problem with warranty work being denied for lesser problems.

I would like to know what the 20K comment means?
First -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
My third gear syncho when out at around 27,000 miles. I went to the dealership and demanded a new transmission. Being persistent and firm, I got a new transmission.
Second - I'm not arguing the defective design/operator error thing anymore.

Third - toyota had a bad year for VOLUNTARY recalls, but they really didn't have that many more than GM. Toyota recalls just get a lot more press coverage to brainwash america into buying american. Its the american thing to do, especially with the economy the way it is.

The 20k comment - means if toyota covered every last thing people came in and complained about under warranty, it would cause astronomical inflation to the base price of the yaris, to pay for the extra warranty work.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #154
woof

Quote:
The 20k comment - means if toyota covered every last thing people came in and complained about under warranty, it would cause astronomical inflation to the base price of the yaris, to pay for the extra warranty work.
Well, that's what a warranty is for....fixing every last thing. My xB1 was the most flawless car I've owned except for the dash buzz which is operator fixed. I never had to reason to ask for warranty help on anyting, including my 1980 Corrola which was about bullet proof.

When I was getting a 'rigged' second opinion, the service manager was saying "since we don't have a complaint until 20K miles..." I cut him off by holding up a note I wrote dated over two years prior they didn't key in the system apparently. I wished I had let him finish to know what he was going to say.

My major beef is that they are ducking work, folks on other forums are having the same experiences, BUT my mechanic says they are ALL like that: Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM. He also said even with the clunking it is conceivable the car would last indefinitely without a repair. I was interested in keeping this car beyond payoff on a permanent basis because of the incredible gas mileage. Now, that may not be feasible and a trade-in could be seriously damaged if they want to make an issue out of the mechanical noises.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #155
woof

Well, I'm happy that the sorry service manager at Gray Daniels will end up blowing his bottom line this year with the zillion of accelerators to repair.

I'm surprised the Yaris hasn't floated to the top with all the stuff reported here.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #156
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I have 73,000miles on my manual yaris and I am still not very happy with the clutch just can't get used to it but I plan to drive it at least 200,000 miles before I buy my next car
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #157
Ramblin yari

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
I'll go for months without incident and then kill it twice in one day. Not the end of the world. I do wish I had an automatic though.
Ramblin yari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #158
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
the Yaris's clutch is a PITA and could use some improvement IMO
I'm used to it now, but it took long enough. Not so with other brands.

Food for thoughts, Mr. Toyota
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #159
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
wonder if the 2010 clutch engagement is any better . Any input from 2010 manual owners , renters or test drives ? We too had a bit of trouble with the clutch engagement in 1st gear of the 2008 3 door that was traded in for an automatic '09 5 door . Otherwise liked the quicker starts and the fun of driving a 5 speed manual . Especially after changing out the GL-5 factory gear oil to REDLINE MT-90 synthetic gear oil that's 75w-90 and GL-4 . Maybe someday we'll trade in for another manual if clutch engagement is better and then refill with REDLINE once again .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #160
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
my 2010 is great. the DBW is the only realy problem with taking off (and the fact the clutch grabbs at a different point each time.....
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #161
Crashmaster

Drives: 2 Door hatchback
The problem that I had was getting used to the friction point on the cluch and the touchyness of the throttle. To me I feel this is all due to the fact that the throttle and cluch have no linkages, they are all operated by electronics. It just took me the better part of a year to get used to this thats all.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #162
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
My 2010 yaris is just as bad as you all say, I killed it twice yesterday and once this morning. Its a PITA, but i still love it. I've only had it 2 weeks, so i think that I might be able to get used to it, hopefully
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote