Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
At why?

Are you still in the cape?

If so,... I go to Dartmouth MA, once a week, that's not far away from the cape! I'll be more than happy to let you try any of my subwoofers.

D.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
D,

Funny thing...I was doing all of what you were asking me to do just last night. I was trying to figure out why exactly my image was moving out to the pillars given lower frequency.

I solved the issue (and completely changed my TA, crossover slopes, and levels) in the process.

Going back to your question, the mids are able to keep the center image BUT...given my location of the mids I like my higher freqs coming from speakers that are unblocked by legs. As we know, blocking the higher frequencies tends to take the sparkle and some detail out of the signal.

As for subwoofers, I won't even get into it with Tolm. Painting subwoofers with such a broad brush isn't the right thing to do. I have my experience and it's a lot different than his sweeping generalizations.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
D,
Going back to your question, the mids are able to keep the center image BUT...given my location of the mids I like my higher freqs coming from speakers that are unblocked by legs. As we know, blocking the higher frequencies tends to take the sparkle and some detail out of the signal.
I had the impression from SB that as long as there is a clear path between your ears and the speakers should work fine.

I like the sparkles from the tweeters above 10kHz up in the a-pillars but I've seen many people go tweeter less. I did try once and it was pretty cool but even pushing the HL-70's I couldn't get them to play high enough.

D.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I had the impression from SB that as long as there is a clear path between your ears and the speakers should work fine.

I like the sparkles from the tweeters above 10kHz up in the a-pillars but I've seen many people go tweeter less. I did try once and it was pretty cool but even pushing the HL-70's I couldn't get them to play high enough.

D.
I hear that. I'm a freak when it comes to my upper midrange though. Still, you're on to something. In our instance we have the mids tucked in the kick area. That's to necessarily a clear path to the ears. This is why I'm playing around with location and aiming some more...and why you guys haven't seen me complete my front stage. Also recall how Scott's G35 had the L3SEs in the sail panels. THAT is a clear line to the ears.

I'm actually thinking about shimming my driver's side tweeter to aim to the left ear...just for $hits and giggles. I want to hear what happens with the center image. I've also set up some temporary baffles for the L4SEs just to play around with more aiming that way as well.

This is one heck of an experiment between Derick and myself. Between us both, we have some serious R&D time with the front stage acoustics in the Yaris sedan.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Why? Derick had given me dibs on some Hifonics 6.5's if he still has them and if it's okay with him work something out and give them a try. I will end up going a totally different route and it may be just what you're looking for. You could probably even put them in a small enclosure and get a decent sound out of them.

Get a bit of input from D and Sq and see what they think.

And man you cannot kill a speaker by not givin it enough power, if that was the case anytime we turned down our stereo we'd be putting our speakers at risk of "blowing" . Distortion is what kills speakers, what usually happens is beginners tend to think " the amp says 100000 gigawatts" so imma crank it and get the full potential out of it". Well what usually happens is they clip the heck out of the signal and blow the sub.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Actually...take a look a amplifier clipping and some causes of...

At this point I'm using a single 8" woofer off that S2b amp. I'm definately NOT under powering it. :)

I'll probably be moving down to a single 6.5" with two passive radiators as a sub stage. I LOVE messing with passives if nothing else for the space savings...that and the cool factor.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
_S7V7N_

Is it a Digital Designs 8 ? Or HAT ? I flirted with the idea or ordering 2 Skar 8s in a ported box and rock em. I've heard 8's in a ported enclosure can get nassssssy.

Sq you ever messed with Cadence amps ?

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I have a DD1508 in there right now. It is more than PLENTY as far as output. Actually I have the subsonic filter on the amp going, plus the 20, 25, and 31.5 Hz on the deck is down 12 dB PLUS the level for the subwoofer is down 10 dB.

I do have it wired at 2 Ohms though.

I haven't messed with Cadence amplifiers at this point. Take a look at these subs:

http://jmhaudioconcepts.com/dadsubwoofers

It's also a good way to support the local (to you) economy. James Halter is the man for these.

Last edited by sqcomp; 04-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
_S7V7N_

If he can do a ported subwoofer box and subs for a good price i'd try anything once.

Heh I cranked up my system over the weekend and did a quick cruise through town, now I hear "ground pounders" cruising by showing off that Distortion !!

Ps if an amp is chrome, has flames and a neon light it has to be pushing at least 5k RMS ! Right ?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me. And a pretty darn good price too.

I had the JL 10 in a ported box in the back of the hatch with a full interior. Even with the windows open there was too much sound pressure.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.

The lunatic in me is curious to know if you know how much it weighs. Rofl, 7 lbs.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me. And a pretty darn good price too.

I had the JL 10 in a ported box in the back of the hatch with a full interior. Even with the windows open there was too much sound pressure.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.

The lunatic in me is curious to know if you know how much it weighs. Rofl, 7 lbs.
Now I now why, why? gets head-each right?

(Bohemian Rhapsody, Keane, queen, garbage, etc.)

That's ok, I'll show my car to why? on Friday, I hope he likes the little that can! (i6sw) and no I don't know how much it weights sorry? not much I guess?

I'll bring other 2 big brothers too (IDQ12 one of the best SQ subs I've seen it just doesn't fit where the i6sw does, and a Bazooka just to play around)

D.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me.

Why? would you like to meet for lunch tomorrow?

D.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
my point is different anyways - just curious why such a low x-over point?
I understand,

some one told me once...

"do what ever it takes so it sounds right"

and like I wrote once... everybody hears different.

My observation when I had my tweeters crossing low, is that it was harder to adjust center image due to reflexions from the windshield and matching with center image on Mids, going back to point source (with Mids) made my tuning easier, sqcomp knows what he is doing for sure and with a purpose. Some times I like the easy way.

But that's just me.

D.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
I have a question...with active filter...and 75W of output on the L1V2...do you need protection ?...75W seems a lot for those little tweeter :S
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
I have a question...with active filter...and 75W of output on the L1V2...do you need protection ?...75W seems a lot for those little tweeter :S
you will adjust the signal level at your amp (gain) and use the proper crossover point - this is enough to make sure it serves you long time
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
_S7V7N_

Tolmach I hope you're getting more info for that reply you just gave if not it was totally pointless. The guy can't just go and start cranking on dials and everything magically sound good. If I'm right he has 5V preouts we will need to see the input sensitivity on the amp he gets if it's 5V at the min position you have to be very careful with gain. We need a lot more info before we can give advice.

Packet please don't mess with any of your equipment until you fully understand how you are going to tune the amps and set you crossover points, eq's, we will get you a very detailed how to on setting your amp gain.

When that time comes we'll need detailed information on your equipment.

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 04-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Clarification would probably read like this:

Adjusting the gain structure at the source and at the amplifier to not give off a clipped signal from the signal chain as well as a responsible crossover point for the tweeter is the way to go.

Think about it this way, Scott Buwalda is using a JL HD750/1 for each L3SE. He's not blowing speakers. I'm working with 240 Watts (@ 12V) on my L4SEs. I'm doing just fine. Why? Refer to the clarified sentence.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Oh! If I do change the pillar setup, I'll reuse these current pillars and do the entire pillar in ABS to reduce the stress points between the different substrate materials (plastic, fiberglass, filler, and MDF).