Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Thank you everyone for your help... I am still not decided if it is an iPhone or a droid for me (I said I loved the Apple software and hardware, but I didn't say I wouldn't buy a Windows based phone) but my wife and I are going to wait until either the Droid or the Apple come out with the fixes for their current models before we buy. We are going to replace our home phone, cable, and internet with these phones, so they need to be very reliable and very good.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #20
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
We are going to replace our home phone, cable, and internet with these phones, so they need to be very reliable and very good.
That immediately negates the possibility of a Windows-based phone (longstanding known reliability issues) and makes an iPhone an iffy proposition (without a home computer that can download iPhone OS updates your only choice for them would be to go to an Apple store, and you'd also be limited to purchasing music via the phone's iTunes app as you'd have no other way to get new content onto the phone).

Given the situation you plan I'd definitely go with an Android-based phone.

On a different note you keep saying "Droid" but that is simply the name of Motorola's Android-based smart phone. The operating system's actual name is Android.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ If they keep a laptop, they can do updates at any hotspot, making the iPhone less "iffy".
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
That immediately negates the possibility of a Windows-based phone (longstanding known reliability issues)
Utterly false. Nevermind the fact the the new version is a complete rewrite of the OS so there is no history to claim it's unreliable.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
DROID 4 LIFE.

I have a dell streak running 2.2. I've had all the iphones before... and i will never go back. android 2.2 is extremely good. There are lots of decent android phones out right now and what's coming down the pipe line looks incredible.

I can pair a WII controller to my dell streak. play NES SNES Genesis game gear and even playstation 1 games. Been playing PS1 FFVII for a good week now on my streak. Built in FM Tuner, HDMI out (native video player only but a matter of time before you can output the desktop), 5" multi touch screen... All thoes same great apps that are on the iphone are on the droid market aswell. I can play DIVX files MPEG and a whole slew of other formats... GPS with google maps and turn by turn direction is great.

Highly recommend the dell streak for an android phone if you can get past the 5" display size as being "too big".

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
.... We are going to replace our home phone, cable, and internet with these phones, so they need to be very reliable and very good.
In that case I would recommend an android phone.

I have the EVO from Sprint, and the network out here is pretty solid. Didn't used to be, but it is now, even works underground, under the ocean.

I can use it as a router for up to 5 devices, I can use it to provide Wi-Fi to my iPad, Windows laptop, or whatever device needs wi-fi. I haven't tried to tether it (because these days I use my iPad a lot and my laptop not so much) but it would work as well.

I don't like the idea of a "device" that does *absolutely everything* because you're putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, but if I had to pick just one, I'd probably stay with the EVO or an equivalent (Droid X with Verizon, Samsumg Epic, G2).

I like HTC, Motorola, and Samsung, in that order, then the iPhone, Blackberry .... The iPhone has the disadvantage to be married with AT&T so for me it's a deal breaker, but I know that AT&T works OK in a number of states, not just here in California and especially not in the Bay Area.

An ideal Android phone IMO is one that has no carrier bloatware on it (like the Nexus One straight from Google) but they haven't yet come out with an updated version.

There is going to be a new batch of phones coming out late Fall (that seems to be the trend) so I would sit tight and wait then.

There is an Android thread on here if you want to take the time to go through it. Buying a smart phone is a bit of a pain because of all the variables and possibilities but in the end, it's a great tool to have with you at all time.

Good luck with your purchase and your decision.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
if you dont like bloatware run launcher pro plus. i love it. i wont go back to apple or blackberry. i love the flexiblility android has. btw i rock a droid x and i love it

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #26
tomato
Super Moderator

"but my wife and I are going to wait until either the Droid or the Apple come out with the fixes for their current models before we buy. "

I forgot to say. IMO, all these devices , regardless of manufacturer and OS, have some problems. They're different problems but there all have something that you won't like. So you're not going to find your perfect phone.

I found Blackberry to be more intuitive and simpler to learn than Android. That said, once you get passed the first few days (?) of discomfort, you'll be ok with Android.

I have no idea what a jailbroken iPhone can do, so maybe you want to explore that... I've had a number of conversations withe the guys at the Apple store and some of them have Android phones (usually high-end ones, like the Droid X or the EVO) only because they can do so much more than the iPhone 4.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #27
tomato
Super Moderator

To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the iPhone 4 . I thought it'd come out with a slightly larger screen and a bit more under the hood. Maybe the next generation?

Of course, to be completely honest, I can see the display of an iPhone 4 a mile away because it's so beautiful, crisp and gorgeous, whereas the display of my EVO, although bigger, is not as crisp and beautiful (indoors at least).
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
strong 2 year bump buddy

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
tomato
Super Moderator

Word!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
tomato
Super Moderator

Oh, sh..t, I bumped the necro-thread *facepalm*
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i don't. have a friend who is totally turtle crazy though.