Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Dbeau

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero
Officially worst time of my life.

I don't want to drag everyone down and depress but I have to vent frustration as it's all I can do to keep my sanity.

Last week I almost lost my wife in a serious car crash

We have had some pretty shitty weather for the past few weeks here in the Calgary Alberta area resulting in some very dangerous roads. Anyway a week ago Wednesday she was on the highway heading to work traveling south in the slow lane. From what I am told she attempted to swerve left when people in front of her started to skid/slide. Well she hit the snow covered black ice, slid across the two lanes then into the grass median between the highway and continued right into the oncoming lanes going northbound. Some how the people in the fast lane avoided her but she then slammed into the rear wheels of a semi truck's trailer. She hit it so hard the rear axle was snapped off.

My wife drives a little Suzuki Sidekick which I know is not the safest of vehicle choices but she loves to 4x4 and this little truck she always wanted and was her baby since she got it. Well as you can imagine a small truck vs semi truck doesn't have a chance.

45 minutes to get her out and a helicopter ride to emergency was the result. As you can see from the picture bellow her baby is no more. The fact she even survived astounds those on the scene. I think the worst part for me was driving to the hospital after getting the call to pass by her wreak with a news crew still on scene.

For the good news, she did survive. In fact by some miraculous way she suffered no head, spine or organ trauma !..seat belts save lives. The bad well..2 broken femurs, left foot dislocated, broken pelvis, broken right hip, 5 broken ribs, fractured right eye socket, and countless cuts, lacerations and bruises.

In the end she is expected to come out of this the same she was before with perhaps some arthritis issues down the road. After 9 hrs of surgery they got everything glued, screwed and god knows what back together. She is now looking at a few months in the hospital and a really crappy Christmas for the kids.

Well I supose I feel better sharing this. I know she loved to go to the GTA meets and met some great member's there when we lived in Ontario.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450_CGY_QEII_Crash_091209.jpg (39.3 KB, 125 views)
Dbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Holy sh... Judging by the pic she's a very lucky woman!

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Wow, that is horrible. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
So, so sorry. Worst Christmas ever, no doubt.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family and best wishes for a complete recovery.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Looking at that wreck and you have to believe in miracles. We extend our best wishes to you guys, and do hope for a complete recovery.

Steve & Steph
Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I had a head-on collision on Christmas Eve in 1997, and to make matters worse we had a six-month old at the time. I was banged up pretty bad but was able to spend the holiday at home (I went to the hospital but convinced them to release me). My injuries were nowhere as serious as your wife's, but the truth is that considering the alternatives you should be very grateful that things turned out the way they did. No one wants to be involved in an accident but they happen, the best you can hope for is that you will survive. Obviously that is the case and things will get better, I assure you...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
mate seeing that pic made me shiver all the best lucky women lucky you lucky kids all the best and time to reflect on what it means to be a part of a family and how quickly it can be taken....
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Glad she made it. I wish her a speedy recovery.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
First: be very glad she survived; I know this from personal experience when my wife didn't survive.

Second: the fact that she was wearing a seatbelt is very un-Albertan of her; explained by saying she was from Ontario.

Third: hang in there, the road ahead is long, but worth it. She depends on you for support, and it sounds like you are in there pitching for her.

Best of luck to you all!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take care.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I'm glad your wife will make it through this, and I wish you and your kids strength and some smiles over the holidays.

I also hope that your wife learns to create and maintain a greater following distance in inclement weather from this experience, so that she does not have to perform the jerky movements that cause one's vehicle to lose traction.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
awww.... i thought i had the worst december 31st 2 years in a row.
Glad she's still alive.
Wish her a fast recovery!
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
really glad she's still alive. god bless her. best wishes for a complete n a speedy recovery.
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #14
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Thank God she didn't hit the on coming traffic. A head on could have been much worse. In 1986 I was involved in a head on that killed someone. Sometimes it still effects me.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
SailDesign

Drives: .
This may be the worst Xmas for you in years, but be reassured by the fact that it could have been worse.....
Best wishes for a complete recovery - my wife went through something like this (but not as extreme) about 20 years ago, and she is fine now. She'll even drive on the highway again.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
Best wishes and warmest reguards to you and your family. May God carry you through this hard time and come out shining on the other side.
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
my jaw dropped when i seen that photo. it is a MIRACLE that she didnt have more injuries let alone that she survived. god bless you all and i hope she has a speedy recovery. I cant even begin to imagine the amount of pain she must be in but shes lucky to have you there to care for her and to support her. you know it may look like this is the worst xmas youve ever had but things will get better and this accident as terrible as it was will probably bring your family closer together and make you appreciate one another even more.life is very precious
Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
fluke_boy

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 dr hb
I just wanted to add wish for a complete and speedy recovery for her. And you sound like you have a lot of inner strength to see your family through this ordeal. God bless you.
fluke_boy is offline   Reply With Quote