Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Old bed sheets do wonders...
+1

Just ask this guy... http://www.joblo.com/video/joblo/pla...lpfiction-wolf
Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
One of the reasons I bought my Yaris was because of my Jeep. My old car got about 23-25 MPG, I get 16-17 in my 2005 LJ (extended TJ). There is no way I will ever get rid of my Jeep (heck, it was stuck in the garage for two weeks because I needed to replace the multifunction switch, and it almost killed me!) and the Yaris is one of the few cars that I found which was almost as much fun to drive as my Jeep.

Speaking of which, this thread is useless without pics! Here's my rig...

By the way, in the bottom two pics are my new Goodyear Wrangler Authority ATs from Walmart. I had Firestone Destination MTs on it (the top two pics), but ripped a belt in one while offroading. They were great, stiff tires and I was shocked when that happened; but I have been very happy with the Authorities. They really are MTs, but they are listed as ATs...you can see there isn't that much difference between them and the Firestones. The downside is that they are only available in 31x10.5...but luckily that is what I run. I had planned to go up to 33s, but decided these worked better.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
Yarold n Kumar

Drives: 2009 3dr lb
what is tj?
Yarold n Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #22
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
OK, here's one of mine. Her name is Thelma Jane. (TJ)

YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
MY second one before I rolled it.

My first one was also an 05 LJ but in Silver with the black top. Everyone thought I was a Raiders fan.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarold n Kumar View Post
what is tj?
A TJ is the Jeep Wrangler model made from 1997-2006. It replaced the YJ model which had square headlights and leaf suspension, and was replaced by the current JK model which uses the same 3.8L V6 engine as Chrysler minivans.

All the above pics are TJs except mine, which is an LJ; an extended TJ (10" more wheelbase) made during the last three years of production (2004-2006).

Most Jeepers consider the TJ/LJs to be the best Jeeps since the CJ (the first civilian version of the military Jeep, first made by Willys, then Kaiser-Jeep and ultimately AMC). The first Wrangler--which was the YJ--debuted in 1987.

That, my friend, is a quick history of the Jeep Wrangler!

Cheers! M2
Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
OK, the Old Tomster called it pretty darn close. I said the round trip would be 1500 miles, and it was 1562.8. I said that I expected to get 40 MPG average for the trip, and it was 39.96.

I bought 37.455 gallons of gas for 1496.8 miles, which gives 39.96 for average MPG. I was still 114.5 miles from home when I filled up last. Also, I had some local miles on the tank of gas that I started the trip with. That's why the total miles for the trip and the total miles for my fill-ups don't match.

Ok, I paid a total of $97.89 for those 37.455 gallons, which works out to an average price per gallon of $2.61. I was a little low when I guessed that I would be paying an average of $2.55 per gallon.

Now, if I had taken the Jeep, and if I use 15 MPG for an average, I would have spent $260.67 for gas instead of $97.89. The extra cost would have been $162.78.

I am totally happy with 40 MPG, since I drove 70 MPH, used A/C and Defrost a lot, and drove through the mountains of WV.

The little car did not wear me out on the trip. I drove straight through going to see my sister, and I was not all that tired. I stopped for the night coming back, but as I neared the motel where I had reservations, I was still fresh enough to regret having made the reservations. I could have made it on home, but when I tried to cancel the reservation, they said it was too late.

My Yaris did a REAL nice job!

Tomster

P.S. Hey, the Yaris didn't do too bad on those mountain grades. She had to be dropped down to 3rd gear only on the steepest, longest grades. That only happened two or three times the whole trip.
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #26
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Good deal Tom! Glad your pre-purchase enthusiasm for the car has proven itself out.

MadMax - Excellent summary of Jeep history there! I admit though, I'm not a big fan of the LJ but it's still an f'n Jeep and that's all that matters! (well, except for the electric green with silver accents LJ I saw on the road today - that thing was hideous!)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
MadMax

Altitude

It's a matter of choice, I prefer the extended wheelbase for the extra storage and stability; but it does sacrifice turning radius on the trail which can be a pain in tight spots.

I was a big fan of the old CJ-8 Scrambler and the LJ can be considered the modern-day equivalent. It also resembles a Land Rover a bit, another great offroad vehicle.

But I only consider Wranglers (and the old CJs) to be "real" Jeeps...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #28
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
^^ Agreed on all accounts.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #29
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Funny to see a hand full of Yaris/Wrangler owners here. I'm one of them too!

Actually, the '02 Wrangler is my wife's but I drive it a lot.

The pitiful gas mileage of the Wrangler is highly annoying especially after getting used to 40 mpg in the Yaris. But my wife just doesn't like anything else enough to give it up. I like some things about it but for me the Yaris wins hands down in desirability.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #30
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
2002 Liberty owner here. I don't hear of too many people owning Liberties. I am about to give it to my sister who has a Cherokee on its last legs.

I was thinking of getting a Toyota FJ Cruiser but they are a little pricey.

I say take the Jeep to Virginia.

Oops. I just saw that the trip has occured.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote