Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
The crazyness that is black friday post your horror stories!

Okay so my family tradition is to wake up early on black Friday and stand in line to get some good deals. I slept in a hour longer than I should have and we decided to just get breakfast at Denny's since we were late anyways. Had a buy one breakfast meal get one free coupon burning a hole in my pocket i wanted to use. Then headed to wall-mart. We just figured hopefully most of the people would have cleared out that got there at 4 in the morning and it would be less chaotic by the time we got there. My brother wanted to get rockband for 50 dollars normally 150. Trying to get into the door took about 10 minutes. Once in we noticed the lines went from front of the store to the back. After about 15 minutes trying to work our way to the electronic section to find out they were all sold out. We decided just to get out of this nightmare hell hole. But we couldn't go the back we came cause there was literally no way out. People had their carts nearly touching each other. And no one would let you through.

So we decided to fight our way to the garden section and go out that way. Low and behold for some stupid reason they closed it and locked those doors. TRAPPED. We had to go back the way we came! That took maybe another 20 more minutes fighting through. Also loosing my brother a few times cause he couldn't fight through the crowd as well as i could. Finally we made it out. I promised myself NEVER AGAIN. From now on ill just shop online.

If any of you have some interesting stories today feel free to post them here for our enjoyment

One interesting note we went to Fry's electronics to see what they had cause we couldn't find any newspaper ads. When we go there they had really no deals. And their ad wall had no ads on it! I dont know what happened to them this year. The place was empty. All the other years it would be completely packed what a bummer.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
One word : Amazon.com
Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
One word : Amazon.com
Oh yeah I did purchase a lot of things through there. Also newegg too.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

I stay away from super-crowded stores on super-sale days ever since some crazy b*tch tried to attack me once at IKEA because I picked up a catalog she wanted. It was a free catalog, mind you, really worth fighting for

I've also seen people fight for parking places (also at IKEA) and someone faint in an elevator because it was too crowded.

People become absolute @ssholes around supersale days.

Last edited by tomato; 11-27-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: removing foot from mouth
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I stay away from super-crowded stores on super-sale days ever since some fat woman tried to attack me once at IKEA because I picked up a catalog she wanted. It was a free catalog, mind you, really worth fighting for

I've also seen people fight for parking places (also at IKEA) and someone faint in an elevator because it was too crowded.

People become absolute @ssholes around supersale days.
Yeah. Usually past years were not as bad as this year. I guess thats a good thing though it could be a sign economy is recovering. I was expecting not as many people would be out spending tons of money.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Was it last year, or 2 years ago, that someone died in a NYC Walmart stampede? We don't really have anything that comes close to madness of Black Friday.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Anyway, I'm counting my $$$ this year (or should I say -$$ ? )
Sales and deals only save you money if you need what you're buying in the first place.
And gifts are really tricky because we sometimes spend a fortune on stuff people don't even want in the first place .
Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I have been trying to get that $18 microwave at Walmart for 3yrs.now. It is my sincere belief that the only place that sly little thing exists is in the twisted visions of some marketing executive in Arkansas
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
I have been trying to get that $18 microwave at Walmart for 3yrs.now. It is my sincere belief that the only place that sly little thing exists is in the twisted visions of some marketing executive in Arkansas
Keep trying brother, you're a lock for next year. Really you are.

I did the black friday thing just once 3 or 4 years ago. Gps units were still kind of pricey and Staples advertised something called a Mio for a little over $100 if my memory is working. I learned just how cold 28 degrees can be when the wind is blowing and you're standing in one place for 2 hours. Of course there were a couple of hundred people in front of me and there were no Mios left when I got inside. Rain check? I thought the guy I asked was going to pee his pants.

Never again. Now it's my slippers, my zip up sweater thingy that keeps me toasty and slickdeals.net.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Was it last year, or 2 years ago, that someone died in a NYC Walmart stampede? We don't really have anything that comes close to madness of Black Friday.
That was out on Long Island, in Valley Stream. They still don't have a Wal-Mart in the city.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...mpede-1.884298
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i got it worst.. i work for amex and dang its busy today...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
For several years now our family has replaced "Black Friday" with "Buy Nothing Day", and this year was no different. We slept in a half hour, had a nice, lazy breakfast of homemade banana and walnut pancakes, then read and watched a documentary. My wife then took a nap while I caught up with some family.

Our gift shopping is already done as well. For my Little Brother we are re-gifting a Best Buy gift card we received last year but did not need, for my daughters it is personalized American Express gift cards (free processing and shipping), for my sister it is the same lunch box she had for her first day of school all those years ago (bought on a lowball eBay bid many months ago), and for my wife's parents it is some beautiful photographs I took this year, placed in frames we got at a 50% off sale last month.

We only need to buy gifts for each other now, and we stay small, and usually practical. For example, I just want two investment books that can be bought used through Amazon.com, and my wife just wants a new vacuum cleaner that she's had her eye on for a while (our years old one no longer stands up by itself so it is difficult to handle on the stairs, and its failing reusable filters are no longer produced, but the appliance recycler I'll give it to can take care of all of that and will pass it on to a low income family).

As for the Black Friday rush, the Cyber Monday rush, big spending, going into debt, etc.... we simply don't need nor want it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
advocate

Drives: car
My Black Friday story isn't really that crazy. I found out that Sears was going to have some tools, a radar detector, a 3-ton jack, and a camera all on sale that I would like to get.

So I dropped by the store at 9PM to check the line, then again at midnight. When no one was in line at midnight I figured that I was safe to come back a bit closer to opening which was at 4AM. I left the house at 2:30 and ended up getting there around 3:00AM. This makes it an hour before opening and I was about the 15th in line.

I was disappointed at first because naturally I'm standing in line thinking that everyone in line before me wants exactly what I want. Luckily that was not the case. By the time the store opened at 4AM there were about 100+ people in line and I had a prime spot.

I briskly walked into the store and quickly found the deals I had come for. The workers there were pleasantly helpful at 4AM while being bombarded by crazy people. However I ended up buying each item 1 at a time because the shopping cars were no where to be found! I know, great way to shop right? Carrying 40LBs of tools with you through a 3-story Sears is a nightmare so I just lugged one item at a time back to my Yaris.

I saved over $200 and in the end got some stuff at blow-out prices and got a bit of Holiday shopping out of the way all in one go.

Definitely a success for me.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Some old lady got punched in the face and got her shit stolen damn thiefs
Security ask the old lady "Who robbed you ma'am?" and I looked at the security guard and said u serious lol I kinda turned into a smartass with the guy by telling the lady, Yes ma'am you know the guy and his name is Tom and hes ur neighbor right? lol the lady smiled and said come on now dont need to turn into a smartalec haha. I mean really if I knew who did it then I probably wouldnt have called security , just hate when they ask u WHO ROBBED YOU dumb ppl
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
The pick pockets were working the walmart where I went this morning ..I got a bump and grab run on me twice..that is why I keep my clip and wallet in my front pocket instead of my back
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
I clean the walmart parkin lot here in town. Me and my bud got there at 3:30 to start, normally we start at 5. The parking lot was full. Store packed. 4 cop cars outside and 8 vehicles with all 4 tires slashed. Lol. I guess we missed the party haha
Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
All I wanted this year was a flashdrive. I wanted the 4GB from Wal-Mart (SanDisk Cruzer). I figured it wasn't a sought after item, so I slept in until 9am. hahahaha. I took my time eating breakfast and getting ready, made it to Wal-Mart by 9:50am. It was still crowded, and as I was walking to the electrical department, I passed by an older woman with a man (couldn't tell if it was her husband, son, or brother). As I was passing by her, I overheard her say, "I'm tired of waiting for people. I'm just going to start running people over [with her shopping cart]!" Wow, seriously? Yeah, good thing she did not "run me over" or else I would have made her day a living hell. People these days, can't be civil? Anyway, got to the flashdrives, but they were locked in. I asked several Wal-Mart employees for assistance, and they all told me that they did not have the key. I didn't want to wait around, wasting my time, and in the middle of a frustrated crowd. So I drove over to Best Buy, and didn't care that I was spending 4 bucks more than I would have at Wal-Mart. I got my 8GB Cruzer for 20 bucks. Got in, got the flashdrive, looked at the car speakers, and waited in line for check out all for the same time I spent at Wal-Mart....yeah, Wally-World isn't the greatest place to shop.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I went to Brea Mall at 3pm and circled the parking lot. It was bumper to bumper with no parking. Car were parked illegally all over the place. It was hopeless. I was in a traffic jam trying to leave. The traffic around the mall was bad also. No shopping done.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote