Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,456
60/40 to Bench Seat Swap Issue

Ferry.jpg

This weekend I drove/ferried down to Long Island for the awesome opportunity to trade Crashy #2's rear bench seat for AuxMike's 60/40 rear seat. I know it sounds like a crazy deal from his stand point, but his reason for wanting the bench was that he purchased a set of Katzkin leather seat covers, and opposite the Clazzio ones, the Katzkin ones are made for the bench only.

Mike and I were in communication before hand to verify that there would not be issues with the swap. People on here have swapped 60/40's in place of benches with only needing to pop some plastic covers over existing holes and punch a couple holes in the carpet. But, since no one has gone in the opposite direction, Mike wanted to be absolutely sure that he wouldn't have any issues. As it turned out, he was correct in being concerned.

We both pulled our rear seats ahead of time. My concern was stuck bolts, and in my case one of the rear most bolts turned a couple of revolutions and then the star portion of the head sheared. I couldn't get a wrench on what was left, so I ended up welding a 17mm nut to the bolt and then I was able to crank it right out.

After removing the seats we shot pictures of the mounting holes to compare. All of the seat mounting holes were present on both cars, but Mike noticed that his car lacked the two holes where the buckle portions of the seatbelts mount to the floor for the bench seat. With the 60/40 the buckle portions mount to the seat frame, rather than to the floor.

Here is how the buckle portions were mounted to the floor on my bench seat equipped car:

Bench Seat Belts.jpg

Here is Mike's floor with no holes present where the seat belts are mounted on mine:

No Hole.jpg


At this point it was looking like we were going to have to cancel the swap, but then I put my 09, which has a 60/40, on the lift and noticed that even though it lacked the hole in the floor, that there was a nut and plate welded to the floor below that area. Mike took a look under his and snapped this picture of the nut:

Nut.jpg


I made a template off my bench seat holes and headed to Long Island with a drill in hand. I marked the floor of this car using the template and drilled a small test hole. Sure enough I could see the bottom of the crown nut through the hole, so drilled the hole to proper diameter and we bolted the seat belts in place.

Drill Hole.jpg


I doubt that another swap like this will ever occur, but in the event that it does, it is now documented.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,921
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quite a few people have wanted to upgrade to the 60/40 seat, and the bolt issue was documented. I'm glad you posted it with some pictures and a very clear description of how to fix it.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~
 
yarisugi's Avatar
 
Drives: Me: Nuts:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ハワイ
Posts: 2,049
Just curious, where are the the seat belt buckles mounted on cars equipped with the 60/40 seat?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Jason@SportsCar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Coto de Caza
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post



I made a template off my bench seat holes and headed to Long Island with a drill in hand. I marked the floor of this car using the template and drilled a small test hole. Sure enough I could see the bottom of the crown nut through the hole, so drilled the hole to proper diameter and we bolted the seat belts in place.



I doubt that another swap like this will ever occur, but in the event that it does, it is now documented.
That could have so easily gone wrong... Drilling that hole right on the money and not messing up a thread in that cap screw. Nice work. I would not have been that confident, I would have taken a spare nut and bolt.
__________________
2005-2008 SCCA Solo BS National Champion
2017-2018 SCCA H Prod National Champion
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,921
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ That's because he's CTScott.
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,456
I am installing the 60/40 in my car this morning and found that the holes that I was guessing would be used are not all the ones that are actually used.

It turns out that besides the three front most ones, that are mentioned in one of the DIY threads, that there are two additional ones for the inside front track bolts. I just realized that there is not a nut behind them, so I have a feeling that those that did the conversion prior just skipped those two bolts. I am actually going to drop the gas tank and weld nuts to the bottom of the floor pan.

Looks like a second thread will be coming with the DIY for installing the 60/40...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
auxmike
 
auxmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, New Yawk
Posts: 2,070
CTScott IS as knowledgable and handy as we believe him to be. It was great to meet the man himself. He made a nice template and found the hidden nuts under the sheet metal first try! He used a special stepped drill bit to do the job. This was an even swap. No $ changed hands. Heck, he spent enough on the ferry ride and I got labor out of him when the Dr. Drilled the hole AND installed the seatbelts. Thank you SO much!
__________________

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
auxmike
 
auxmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, New Yawk
Posts: 2,070
As a footnote always research a project to death BEFORe you set out to do it.
__________________

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ That's because he's CTScott.
Accept no substitute!
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Just curious, where are the the seat belt buckles mounted on cars equipped with the 60/40 seat?
In order to facilitate the fore/aft sliding function of the 60/40, the belts are mounted to the seat frame. This was mentioned in the first post, hence the primary reason for this thread.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My concern was stuck bolts, and in my case one of the rear most bolts turned a couple of revolutions and then the star portion of the head sheared.
Exactly the same thing that happened to me. Back left. Couple of turns, then the star sheared off.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
sex
 
sex's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5DR
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I am actually going to drop the gas tank and weld nuts to the bottom of the floor pan.
Will you be using OEM nuts? Are you Herculiner-ing Crashy #2 as well since you're down there?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
Will you be using OEM nuts? Are you Herculiner-ing Crashy #2 as well since you're down there?
This is actually getting very interesting. I will be posting a new thread tonight for the 60/40 install, as I consider it a separate subject.

But, dang this is turning into a project. I dropped the gas tank, only to find a double walled section (with about 3/4" of air space in between) where those other two nuts need to be. I welded two M10 x 1.25 nuts to two large washers and am now thinking that I am going to drill a hole large enough for the nut to fit through, and then I will weld the outer edge of the washer to the inside of the floor.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
auxmike
 
auxmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, New Yawk
Posts: 2,070
Yet they go through the trouble and expense of putting "invisible" nuts in my car knowing that they will NEVER be used (except by me)....
__________________

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
auxmike
 
auxmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, New Yawk
Posts: 2,070
Worst case scenario; weld the seats straight to the unibody:s
__________________

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Attachment 49022

This weekend I drove/ferried down to Long Island for the awesome opportunity to trade Crashy #2's rear bench seat for AuxMike's 60/40 rear seat. I know it sounds like a crazy deal from his stand point, but his reason for wanting the bench was that he purchased a set of Katzkin leather seat covers, and opposite the Clazzio ones, the Katzkin ones are made for the bench only.

Mike and I were in communication before hand to verify that there would not be issues with the swap. People on here have swapped 60/40's in place of benches with only needing to pop some plastic covers over existing holes and punch a couple holes in the carpet. But, since no one has gone in the opposite direction, Mike wanted to be absolutely sure that he wouldn't have any issues. As it turned out, he was correct in being concerned.

We both pulled our rear seats ahead of time. My concern was stuck bolts, and in my case one of the rear most bolts turned a couple of revolutions and then the star portion of the head sheared. I couldn't get a wrench on what was left, so I ended up welding a 17mm nut to the bolt and then I was able to crank it right out.

After removing the seats we shot pictures of the mounting holes to compare. All of the seat mounting holes were present on both cars, but Mike noticed that his car lacked the two holes where the buckle portions of the seatbelts mount to the floor for the bench seat. With the 60/40 the buckle portions mount to the seat frame, rather than to the floor.

Here is how the buckle portions were mounted to the floor on my bench seat equipped car:

Attachment 49018

Here is Mike's floor with no holes present where the seat belts are mounted on mine:

Attachment 49019


At this point it was looking like we were going to have to cancel the swap, but then I put my 09, which has a 60/40, on the lift and noticed that even though it lacked the hole in the floor, that there was a nut and plate welded to the floor below that area. Mike took a look under his and snapped this picture of the nut:

Attachment 49020


I made a template off my bench seat holes and headed to Long Island with a drill in hand. I marked the floor of this car using the template and drilled a small test hole. Sure enough I could see the bottom of the crown nut through the hole, so drilled the hole to proper diameter and we bolted the seat belts in place.

Attachment 49021


I doubt that another swap like this will ever occur, but in the event that it does, it is now documented.
If anyone ever wants to trade (like AuxMike did) or sell their 60/40 seat (to reduce weight, or for any other reason) please PM me. I am a bench seat owner who wishes to become a 60/40 owner. I realize the beginning of your last sentence is probably true, but one can hope and put his or her two cents in just in case .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #17
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~
 
yarisugi's Avatar
 
Drives: Me: Nuts:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ハワイ
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
In order to facilitate the fore/aft sliding function of the 60/40, the belts are mounted to the seat frame. This was mentioned in the first post, hence the primary reason for this thread.
Thanks Wee. I totally forgot that those seats slide, too!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Betrivent
Not quite a noob
 
Betrivent's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 325
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,412
Did you seal the hole afterwards with anything?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeler: Swap my hatchback 60/40 rear seat for your solid two piece bench rear + cash auxmike Items for Sale by private party 12 11-11-2012 08:52 PM
60/40 split rear seat swap question jayeh Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 12 10-28-2012 03:07 AM
Rear Bench Seat Question Meteorite_Marty Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 2 10-04-2012 06:44 AM
Clazzio Seat Cover DIY Install PETERPOOP DIY / Maintenance / Service 31 09-10-2010 03:30 PM
Seat belt swap N2scouting DIY / Maintenance / Service 0 07-31-2009 12:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.