Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
EG or EK Honda Civic HB.

Anyone here have or have owned these generations of civics.What's your verdict?I kinda developed a liking for civics I'm really starting to like the damn things.I'm thinking I'll get one but I dunno which.Both are good looking rides.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Honda civics FTW!
Sorry, I have no experience with these particular vehicles.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Tatsh

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris LE
I prefer the EK, do a 5 lug conversion, with JDM front bumper, then drop a B18 in there...but costs a crap ton of money.

Guess it all depends on the condition of the one you find. Both are decent cars.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Do an EK hatch or EK coupe, 96-98 OBDII. I had a Civic HX coupe with an LS swap, great car. The swap for the 96-98 Civics are a lil cheaper than 99-00. The EG coupes and hatchbacks are nice too. I've just always liked the lines of the EK. The B series swaps are direct bolt in for the Eg, the EK requires some different motor mounts. Nothing too major though.

Last edited by hatchbackkid82; 02-15-2010 at 09:17 AM.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Which one is lighter? I'd do a K20 swap in the lighter one. hahaha.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've had four Civics including a 2000 Hatch, a 1998 sedan, a 1998 coupe, and a 1979 1200. The first three were all EJ chassis (1998-2000). Great cars.

I don't get the 5-lug conversion thing. I get it if you're running bigger brakes, but otherwise it seems to get thrown around like adding one more wheel stud is cool. Bigger brakes = great. 5-lug for 5-lug's sake = lame. Just my biased opinion.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
junorico24

Appreciate the input...

I'm keeping the Yaris i'm just getting bored with it.Does anyone else feel the same way?The honda civic is for cheap thrills and not too much bills.You can't go wrong with the HONDA.Great cars.The EK seems to be the winner here.So I'll go with it.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Tatsh

You'd be surprised how much quality honda parts cost..along with insurance for civics.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
I've owned 2 Hondas so far..

'87 Honda CRX HF - Which is super light, since most of it's exterior is fiberglass. I rear ended a 2005 Toyota Corolla at 50+ mph and went under it..

and an '89 Honda CRX Si w/JDM ZC swap (1.6L non VTEC)

Was a pretty quick car, and it was fun while it lasted. My uncle ended up keeping the car when I moved out.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsh View Post
You'd be surprised how much quality honda parts cost..along with insurance for civics.
True enough.

I had my '98 coupe stolen several years ago: One reason Civics are expensive to ensure.

FYI, if you do get a Civic and end up modding it, be sure you take measures to prevent theft (alarm, The Club, Autolock, fuel cutoff, etc.).
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

^ must depend how old they are, who the carrier is, etc.

My Honda CRX HF cost me about the same to insure as the Yaris. Actually the CRX qualified for "economy car discount" which the Yaris LB doesn't get, go figure . I have Allstate.

The CRX was broken into several times, though, and as far as I can tell they've left the Yaris alone so far. Once the alarm was activated while I was gone, but that could just be some idiot hitting my car while trying to parallel park.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Appreciate the input...

I'm keeping the Yaris i'm just getting bored with it.Does anyone else feel the same way?The honda civic is for cheap thrills and not too much bills.You can't go wrong with the HONDA.Great cars.The EK seems to be the winner here.So I'll go with it.

Bored with it? No. Actually, I'm just starting to have fun with it and thinking small performance mods might make it even more fun.

I come from Honda. I owned 2 civic's (first one was a First Gen. Civic - got it used, drove it to the ground, then I got the '87 CRX HF which I enjoyed for a lot of years, still miss it to this day). I also drove the ex's Honda Accord HB (he had 2, one after the other). Great cars, these Hondas. They're easy, fun to drive, even the manual transmissions which is what we both had.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Appreciate the input...

Bored with it? No. Actually, I'm just starting to have fun with it and thinking small performance mods might make it even more fun.

I come from Honda. I owned 2 civic's (first one was a First Gen. Civic - got it used, drove it to the ground, then I got the '87 CRX HF which I enjoyed for a lot of years, still miss it to this day). I also drove the ex's Honda Accord HB (he had 2, one after the other). Great cars, these Hondas. They're easy, fun to drive, even manual transmissions which is what we both had.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

almost forgot... my brother had the CRX SI, now THAT was a fun car

Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
Tatsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
FYI, if you do get a Civic and end up modding it, be sure you take measures to prevent theft (alarm, The Club, Autolock, fuel cutoff, etc.).
Or get a steering wheel quick release, can't steal a car when you have no steering wheel!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #16
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsh View Post
Or get a steering wheel quick release, can't steal a car when you have no steering wheel!
That's not a bad idea, either. I didn't want to lose my airbag, though.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #17
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
^ must depend how old they are, who the carrier is, etc.

My Honda CRX HF cost me about the same to insure as the Yaris. Actually the CRX qualified for "economy car discount" which the Yaris LB doesn't get, go figure . I have Allstate.

The CRX was broken into several times, though, and as far as I can tell they've left the Yaris alone so far. Once the alarm was activated while I was gone, but that could just be some idiot hitting my car while trying to parallel park.
My bro has an EK Civic another has an integra the engines on these cars are >than our vvt-i yaris.