Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
What Does "Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions" Mean Anyway???

There seems to be a real effort to close threads in this section of the forum, simply because they give the merest indication of getting political. One would expect that in a section titled "Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions;" so why are they being closed just because there are some differing views on topics? As long as the attacks are not personal, I don't see why they deserve to be shut down; and the ones that have been don't even come close to being political.

If this section is simply automotive but non-Yaris discussions, then it should be aptly named. If the words "off topic" and "everything else" are included, then that should mean anything that anyone wants to discuss, right?

Cheers! M2
Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Because it causes unneeded conflict. I know I dont like to read nasty messages between people
Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Political discussions harbor bad blood between members more effectively than any other medium I've seen on these forums, and we're trying to avoid that kind of general negativity. We will be more vehement from now on about closing politically motivated threads.

As Thomas said...

Quote:
They invariably turn to crap and namecalling and just makes the atmosphere here suck. It's for the best that we should just not discuss politics on YW. This is a car forum after all, and even though this is the off-topic section, it's not really appropriate.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Discussions about politics and religion tend to bring out the worse in people for sure. But I have to agree with the OP, I've noticed that some threads unrelated to politics tend to shut down somewhat abruptly, as well.

Peace

Last edited by tomato; 04-16-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Im sure they have some pretty good forums on the internet to discuss politics besides forums about economy cars. :o

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

I mean like this thread for instance.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16255

What was wrong with this thread? No politics. People were just venting or whatever. No biggy. What's the problem? Just curious.

This is a friendly question BTW. Really.

I know I'm kinda new here, still trying to figure out the forum and all, but aren't repeat threads and noob questions part of any regular forum activities?

Peace
Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I mean like this thread for instance.

What was wrong with this thread? No politics. People were just venting or whatever. No biggy. What's the problem? Just curious.

This is a friendly question BTW. Really.

I know I'm kinda new here, still trying to figure out the forum and all, but aren't repeat threads and noob questions part of any regular forum activities?

Peace
Yeah, I didn't see anything too scarey about that thread. Everybody acted pretty calm and the OP seemed to be just concerned. It wasn't like he got banned and then quickly signed on with a new account just to get even by lashing out and trashing YW.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
MadMax

There is a clear distinction between a good debate and insulting each other. Obviously, none of us want the latter, but the former can be very educational. I had a very enlightening exchange via PMs concerning the articles on Texas succession, there were no personal jabs despite the obvious differences of opinion.

I clearly understand that when things get uncivil that the plug needs to be pulled; but it seems childish that members on this forum are not allowed to talk about issues outside of cars without extreme censorship.

It is very possible to disagree with someone and still be respectful about it, and that is not dependent on the topic but on those engaged in the conversation.

And while there are political forums available, such discussions in here would allow people we already know and hopefully trust to participate. Like I said, if this is not the intent of this section, then the "off topic" and "everything else" wording needs to be removed from the title, as it is obviously not the case!

Lastly, if off-topic discussions are of no interest to you, the the simple answer is to stay out of this area. There are several areas of this forum that I don't wander into, and I am sure I am not the only one like that.

Cheers! M2
Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

It is very possible to disagree with someone and still be respectful about it, and that is not dependent on the topic but on those engaged in the conversation.
Well, that's true. I completely agree with you there.
But you know, sometimes it's hard to avoid knee jerk reactions in these discussions.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
ok, ok, ok,......So Jesus, Mohammed and that John guy that formed that other religion walk in to a bar.....
I'm noticing a pattern......
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

I still would like to know why a thread like this one

was shut down so I don't post the wrong thread in the wrong place or whatever.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
There seems to be a real effort to close threads in this section of the forum, simply because they give the merest indication of getting political. One would expect that in a section titled "Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions;" so why are they being closed just because there are some differing views on topics? As long as the attacks are not personal, I don't see why they deserve to be shut down; and the ones that have been don't even come close to being political.

If this section is simply automotive but non-Yaris discussions, then it should be aptly named. If the words "off topic" and "everything else" are included, then that should mean anything that anyone wants to discuss, right?

Cheers! M2
Some of us are aware of "stealthy" politicization and react accordingly. I wrote to some of the Mods and raised my concerns. We'll see.

Gene
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Not to intrude, but I feel I must clarify myself here. While scrolling through "Random Pics" i found a post that "bothered" me. It was a post about "Bushisms" and accompanying photos that I felt were out of line. We get it- not everyone likes the guy. I can't say that I really do. I responded with a "paste job" on Obamaisms. Can't say I like him either. No comment just the paste. I was then attacked. If I'm in the wrong, what about the original poster?
Second, i pasted an article I found interesting about the Secession of Texas. Again, no commentary. The thread wad closed, and then reposted by Gene. That thread was closed, with a comment from Thomas that was quoted above. Remembering the "Thailand Troubles" thread (hope you are safe Thomas), I posted a giant HMMMMM in that thread.
I come here because there are people here who love their Yarii and want to talk about them intelligently. There are also people here who want to have an intelligent discussion on other issues, including politics.
I have not started an inflammatory thread based on politics, but I will not fail to answer an uninformed insult. I will defend My Country, and I will stand up for my beliefs. If a thread erodes to childish insults, personal or otherwise, it should be closed, as it is an attack. If a thread contains intelligent political discussion, whether it is agreeable to the current political situation or not, it should be allowed to thrive. Not everyone agrees, when done politely it is dissent. It is the foundation of all freedom loving people around the world. When dissent is not allowed it is censorship, plain and simple.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
eh... i'm all for freedom of speech but i think by signing up to a forum you are kinda accepting that the mods may censor or close threads if they feel it's for the good of the site. being a mod kinda sucks sometimes so try to cut them some slack. i think for the most part they are just trying to keep things, um, idk, cordial.

but i think the off topic section still serves a purpose. even if we can't argue politics.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
eh... i'm all for freedom of speech but i think by signing up to a forum you are kinda accepting that the mods may censor or close threads if they feel it's for the good of the site. being a mod kinda sucks sometimes so try to cut them some slack. i think for the most part they are just trying to keep things, um, idk, cordial.

but i think the off topic section still serves a purpose. even if we can't argue politics.
I do understand it, but there has to be some consistency. For one, people are going to have to learn that not everything is going to be to their liking. If someone else doesn't like GW Bush or Obama, they should be free to post those opinions. And if someone disagrees, they should be able to do so as well. Freedom of speech was something our forefathers here in the US valued enough to make it the first amendment to our Constitution. I understand not tolerating threats and such, or personal attacks; but some threads are being deleted simply because of overzealous moderation in my opinion (or am I even allowed to say that? )

If you disagree with someone's viewpoints, you can try to persuade them through good use of rhetoric. It still may not convince them, but it may educate them or someone else. That is the value of healthy discussion and debate...practiced in societies since the dawn of civilization...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
I understand not tolerating threats and such, or personal attacks; but some threads are being deleted simply because of overzealous moderation in my opinion (or am I even allowed to say that? )
Yeah, and I think that zealousness will probably diminish. At least I hope so.

Gene
Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you disagree with someone's viewpoints, you can try to persuade them through good use of rhetoric. It still may not convince them, but it may educate them or someone else. That is the value of healthy discussion and debate...practiced in societies since the dawn of civilization...
Soooooooooooooo... MadMax, did I ever manage to convice you that there is more to California than just "fruits and nuts?"

(I'm just messing with ya, harmless joke!)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
I do understand it, but there has to be some consistency. For one, people are going to have to learn that not everything is going to be to their liking. If someone else doesn't like GW Bush or Obama, they should be free to post those opinions. And if someone disagrees, they should be able to do so as well. Freedom of speech was something our forefathers here in the US valued enough to make it the first amendment to our Constitution. I understand not tolerating threats and such, or personal attacks; but some threads are being deleted simply because of overzealous moderation in my opinion (or am I even allowed to say that? )

i'm ok with disagreements. and frankly i'm ok with people hurling nasty insults at one another. it can be entertaining at times when you aren't involved in the argument. but i can see why the mods' point of view would differ. and sometimes it may seem like a thread is walking too fine a line and i reckon it's just easier to close it before things get ugly. you call it being overzealous and i'd say maybe they are just trying to err on the side of caution.

and don't get me wrong i love to argue about politics and religion. it's just one of those things i really love to do. but i just don't think it's good for this site. so i'm ok with avoiding those two topics. you might come across some political thread with some educational value every once in a blue moon but i think the majority of the time it's gonna be people flying virtual jetliners into other people's virtual twin towers. and i hope no one takes offense to that. i don't mean any. i'm just trying to illustrate how crazy people get when it comes to these two subjects.
Closed Thread