Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Did the "Home Depot" lip.

Hey everyone.

I just got my Yaris back from the repair shop, not sure how many people saw my other thread but in it I got hit by my girlfriend's dad and the damage was about 1,300 dollars. I'm glad to say it's as good as new now.

I got it back Wednesday (been in the shop since last Monday) and today I thought I would try the "Home depot style" lip, made from the garage door weather stripping.
(As seen on page 4-5 on this thread and on page 3 of this thread.)

This is how it turned out.

Before:

First I cleaned the bottom of the front bumper with some all-around cleaning agent and a rag to remove any dirt that might affect the double-sided tape from sticking.

I got some "outdoor double sided tape" and the garage door sealant. The double sided tape worked VERY well...until I ran out. The roll I got didn't have enough so I had to improvise on the driver's side since that's when I ran out. I should have got a bigger roll.
I started from the passenger's side and I had about 4 inches to go when my double-sided tape ran out, I thought I would have enough but I didn't.
If anyone is planning on doing this the same way I did, get the bigger roll.

Here's the stuff I used. (Weather stripping for garage door)

And now some "after" shots: (Sorry, no real DYI pictures, it was kind of hard to get pictures of it while I was in the process of it.)

I appologize if you can't see it very well, it was very cloudy today so i'm going to take some more pictures when then weather is better.
Here's a bigger image of the bellow picture for better detail.

I think it turned out good. I haven't driven with it yet, so i'm eager to see how it holds up. I messed up on the left (driver's side) of the car, but I don't think it's too noticeable. Overall, pretty pleased with it, I like how it looks very "OEMish"

Last edited by Black_griffin6; 05-26-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Updating information
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice stuff. Mine has been holding up quite well. Countless of driveways, some debris on the freeway, etc. Although, I did you self tapping screws in addition to double sided tape. Here's its current condition:

Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Black_griffin6

I didn't think about the self taping screws, should have probably got those too. XD

I think the outdoor double sided tape should hold, the package said it holds up to 5lbs, but we'll see.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
I didn't think about the self taping screws, should have probably got those too. XD

I think the outdoor double sided tape should hold, the package said it holds up to 5lbs, but we'll see.
I highly suggest some self tapping screws or drilling holes and using zip-ties. I don't think the tape will hold up against rubbing on a driveway or something. Don't want that hard work to go to waste
Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Black_griffin6

It's actually stuck on there pretty good, but I might go ahead and use the self tapping screws just to be sure.

Did you drill any holes before using the screws or zip ties?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
It's actually stuck on there pretty good, but I might go ahead and use the self tapping screws just to be sure.

Did you drill any holes before using the screws or zip ties?
Nope, just drilled very carefully. Also used a washer for each screw. I spaced out each screw three inches apart. They don't have to be long either, and inch would be more than enough. Just make sure the screws don't start drilling into the side of the bumper. hahaha
Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I just read another thread about this and the guy who didn't use screws(or staples) lost his on the first trip out. I'd use some screws...

I actually went to home depot to check out the rubber piece(literally just got back) and they only had the soft rubber seal in black, I want the stiffer one.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Nice job.

Mine has gone through a full Canadian winter and still holding up rather well -- no issues. I did put in a few screws (4 total).

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Yarice

Drives: 2008 LB Meteoric Metallic
I too will do the home depot lip. I'm ditching the kaminari front lip because my fender flares kindda overlaps the lip. toy_toronto you lip looks really clean.
Yarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
There's a Genuine Toyota part for this in Europe, but I can't seem to find what it is. I ordered mine from a friend in Europe and installed it on my car. It comes in 2 pieces, has the mounts and extra screws/plugs to go into the vacant holes under the bumper. It looks awesome though, and no chance of it falling off.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
^ yes... see post #8: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...211#post582211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarice View Post
I too will do the home depot lip. I'm ditching the kaminari front lip because my fender flares kindda overlaps the lip. toy_toronto you lip looks really clean.
thanks Yarice.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #12
yaris 2sz
www.yarisclub.gr

Drives: yaris 1.3 2sz - 1.33 1nr
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_200...FGKW_5201.html
yaris 2sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
I had the HD lip (the soft one) and it held up fine, but I used screws as well. It was flexible so it just bent on driveways and stuff if I did hit it. I'd use the screws not so much for bumping into stuff but if any wind gets caught up under that at freeway speeds, it'll be gone quicker than Lindsay Lohan's dreams of getting off her charges.

It has since been replaced with a stiff factory OEM lip. As so:

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
Black_griffin6

Update

Well sadly, I haven't had the time to put in any screws in my lip. I'm still debating on if I really need to or not.

So far, i've driven the past 2 days with the lip on with just the tape and i've gone up to about 60 MPH on the highway and it hasn't budged at all.

I think that tape is pretty good stuff, I might not even use the screws, but I might add some glue or something to seal the part that looks a bit dodgy.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
mr.white_hb

Drives: '05 Vitz JDM
Hey Looks Cool, I'm going to try it on my Echo Hatch (yeah boo I don't have the Yaris)

Great DIY that is Cheep $$

mr.white_hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.white_hb View Post
(yeah boo I don't have the Yaris)
Well yeah, you do. Just not in this country.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
mr.white_hb

Drives: '05 Vitz JDM
**Not Slow Speed Internet ready -> a few pics**

This is my "Home Depot" Lip DIY Version 2.0
(1 long garage door seal cut it half and sicked together upside down)

I used Double-side tape with plastic door trim cut flat and sicked it to the bottom of the lip edge to stiffen it.

Test Fitting to see how it looks

DIY Front Lip complete. ... I wonder though if vinyl lettering would stick to the rubber ... if it can maybe I will add a cool vinyl sticker to it.

I took the idea of this new style Lip from here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1526863 (Credit goes to NASIOC Fourm user Mobutusan, for Front Lip Version II)

See where my Falkin logo is, I'm thinking of blacking out the white area there with black matte vinyl ?!? make the front look more agressive, what you guys think?
Next Project... DIY "Home Depot" style side skirts... might try paint the rubber as well, maybe plasti Dip spray paint will work!?!

mr.white_hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Does the lip help fuel economy or is it just cosmetic?

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote