Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Father teaches daughter a real good lesson OWNED

http://www.break.com/index/father-te...cebook-2298729

Please show this to you kids
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I can certainly understand his point of view - his daughter sounds like a spoiled brat - but I think he could have handled it a bit better rather than putting bullets into it.

First of all, she's HIS daughter - she learned that disrespect from HIM.

Secondly he could have forced her to hand the laptop over to someone more in need of it who would appreciate it more. Making her perform that action herself would have more impact than seeing a video of him shooting it. There are plenty of charities and other needful children around who could have used it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
It's the principle sir! But sort of understand
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I like Altitude's attitude. I don't understand how bullets are the ultimate solution to any problem. Besides, there are SO many other ways to get to a kid like her!!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
To me the father is saying,"hey you are acting more childish than I am. Cut that out."

And then he does more to prove that the daughter is 100% right in everything she said than any other thing possible.

Just absurd anyone could think this is a good thing. Parenting is not suppose to be acting more childish than your child.

A real parent would have said,"there's the door, don't let it hit you on the ass on your way out."
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I am sure that each generation could say this exact thing, but today's kids are a real challenge to raise. With the internet and media exposure at the fingertips it is no wonder today's children are the "entitlement" generation. When my daughter turned 15 she began in with the arguments and such about how we needed to buy and insure a car for her. That it is her God given (yes, that phrase) right to have a brand new, not used car bought and paid for by us for her to have. She will be 18 in a month and she still has no car. We told her if she wanted a vehicle then she needed to at the very least have a job and help to contribute to the costs. She refuses. Too many of her friend's parents have purchased vehicles anywhere from 20-30k for their teens and pay for everything...gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. How does this assist in teaching your children financial responsibility and the effort that it takes the average person to have transportation that they own? It is just like college. Her mother and I both believe in the value of the children making their own way through college. A parent paying for it teaches the child nothing and lengthens the time before they actually mature into financially capable and responsible adults.

As for the father in the video, I could see where he would go to the extremes. Do I agree with it...not so much. I would have done what else was suggested here in giving it to someone else. It is very easy for all of us however to make judgement because we are not living it. I am living a very tough scenario with my teen daughter and have made both good and bad choices, but I am learning and adapting to how I will deal with the generation further with my son who will be 12 in some months.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
TLyttle

Exactly. Most competent young people (20s) I know got where they are on their own, mostly because the parents were either trying to raise other children at the same time, or were just plain struggling.

For my generation, just getting through high school without being forced to go out and work to support the family was considered to be "privileged".

The crap being demanded by this generation is plain rubbish!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the crap being demanded by this generation is a result of the parents giving the children anything they wanted. Or the children seeing other kids around them being handed anything, which is insane.

These parents that just hand their kids whatever are setting these kids up for major failure, because if they've never wanted anything, why would they ever work hard at anything at all?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
It's either shoot the laptop to keep the law off your radar, or take off the belt and have them on you like flies on shit. Using a gun was definitely excessive, but he had the right idea.

I had it tough growing up, having to learn life lessons on my own and work for everything I wanted from age 5 til moving day. This kid doesn't know how lucky she has it compared to some of us.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
his laptop , his gun, his lawn, his daughter. nobody has the right to tell him how to raise his kid. end of discussion.
Really? Where's the line? Granted, his actions were fairly benign even if it was childish and sets a poor example. But surely you aren't suggesting society shouldn't play a role in dictating acceptable behavior. Are you?

Suppose this guy filmed himself beating his daughter? Do we have a right - or responsibility - as a society to at least condemn certain actions taken by others? Of course we do, it's the foundation of civilization.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
TLyttle

Agreed, even though it wasn't a really big stick...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Altitude

Your points are well taken PK. I would suggest that parents have a far greater role and much larger influence over their children than the rest of society. Yes, the message kids get these days is not one we should be teaching them, but I think strong parenting skills can overcome all of that.

Clearly you weren't raised as a spoiled child, and neither was I. I think our parents deserve credit for doing a good job of parenting in light of social pressures etc.

But back on this guy's reaction. It's unfortunate that now there will be more people - the one's that praise him for it or refuse to call him out on it - that consider it appropriate and will do similar things. I guess that's why I condemn it, because it just sets yet another bad example for others to follow.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Clearly you weren't raised as a spoiled child, and neither was I. I think our parents deserve credit for doing a good job of parenting in light of social pressures etc.

I will tell you that I am envious of my parents. I grew up through the 80s and very early 90s. Raising today's youth in the digital age holds SO many more challenges. Not to say they had it easy, but even they tell me that they would hate to be raising kids today.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Personally, I thought the video was hilarious and even more hilarious is the fact that he puts bullets through a laptop he just spent hours upgrading ... :P

But hey, I guess that's one way to handle the situation.

Not necessarily the best way, but it'll probably send the kid a message... some kind of message

Seriously, I truthfully do not know how I would handle the frustration of seeing my kid acting out and posting crap on FB. I really don't know what I would do. Certainly would suspend internet privileges for a while, but what good would that do if they can just as easily borrow a friend's phone and post more crap from there. It's very difficult to control what your kids are doing online now with all the devices around. I guess the only way is to build trust with your kids and hope that lasts through their teenage years but ... teenagers will be teenagers.