Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Should I stay or should I go?
Ferrchrissake, don't even think about leaving the Golden State! 7 25.00%
Go dude, I mean START PACKING NOW! BBQ wings and baby back ribs, yum yum... 16 57.14%
Nah... I'd rather pick Switzerland... 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
California vs. Texas

Alright boys and girls, I have an interesting subject up for debate. My company has opened an office in Austin a couple of years back which has been growing much more than the HQ here in Sunnyvale, CA and I was just asked a few days ago for the first time if I would like to move to Austin... I don't know anything about Texas (other than a few stereotypes and the famous "Houston, we got a problem" ) and I've lived in California for 6 years.

So, I'd like to hear some opinions, pros and cons, should I consider moving or not? Is California ever going to get back on track, financially I mean? I just have the feeling that CA government is way too big and I don't see a chance of it getting any smaller and I think that only means higher taxes in the future...

On the other hand Texas looks very appealing, with no state income tax and more affordable housing...

Go! Keep it civil though, alright? No calling names!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
If you're young, go for the new experience. You'll have an opportunity to travel and experience a different lifestyle. Something you might regret in later years.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
The cost of living is SUPER LOW compaired to what your looking at but it all depends on the household income changing and what will happen with any possible mortgage you might have in your area vs what you can bring to sale or if your company has corporate buyouts on housing. It's all kind of personal but whats "best" is whats going to be best financially for you. Don't look at a different place just because its different. If your not upside down on your real estate now, sell and come to texas and marvel at what you can buy for half the price. If you come on down let the SW USA board know, we host events and go out for fun sometimes.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
My brother was in a similar situation as you.

His company location was moving to Texas and he could either move there or find a new job. He decided to move there and his company also paid for the move I think.

As far as I know, everything has been great for him and he loves it there. He says the people are very hospitable, going out of their way to help you. He bought a nice house in a nice area for dirt cheap compared to housing prices here in CA.

Like the other guy said, the cost of living there is dirt cheap. My brother works for a big company and makes very good money so that has a lot to do with it I bet, since it doesn't really matter where you live if you're making very good money you'll be comfortable either way.

As for me, I would never consider moving to Texas, you kidding me?!
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
born and raised in Dallas, I would say that I love it here!!!!!

Plus Austin is an amazing city, completely different from the rest of the state. Very laid back and kinda artsy. People down there are very nice
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Having lived in both States I can unequivocally recommend that you stay in California.

Texas isn't as broke as California because they don't do anything for the people other than keep the roads maintained. When the humidity gets below 70% it is the leading story on the evening news. More people on death row than the rest of the country combined. Their environmental policy is to fight the planet, and they are winning.

The worst part was how sugary sweet everyone is on the surface but finding nothing under it but apathy, conceit, greed and bigotry. My family could not wait to get out of Texas, and we've never looked back.

California does indeed have its problems, and I find a large part of the population there to be incredibly selfish and self-important, but it is nowhere near as bleak as Texas.
Way to insult two entire states...
Old 03-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
fmicle

Quote:
And not any two states, but the biggest two
Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
QR25DE_SpecV

Drives: 2006 Sentra SpecV
Get your ass on a plane!

Quote:
It's not what you drive, but what drives you
QR25DE_SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Having lived in both States I can unequivocally recommend that you stay in California.

Texas isn't as broke as California because they don't do anything for the people other than keep the roads maintained. When the humidity gets below 70% it is the leading story on the evening news. More people on death row than the rest of the country combined. Their environmental policy is to fight the planet, and they are winning.

The worst part was how sugary sweet everyone is on the surface but finding nothing under it but apathy, conceit, greed and bigotry. My family could not wait to get out of Texas, and we've never looked back.

California does indeed have its problems, and I find a large part of the population there to be incredibly selfish and self-important, but it is nowhere near as bleak as Texas.

Quote:
No shit....thats really shortsighted and extremely ignorant. sure youll have bigoted ignorant assholes but dont lump us all together. BTW BailOut what part of texas did you live in for you to merit such remarks?

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #11
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Con: when out of state some people assume you are a cowboy, ride horses and own a ranch.

if you have not heard already ULtraCons

its hotter.

Pro: The main reason one of my friends moved here was the cost of living, the housing market was perfect for them.
if youre in to football: UT

we can add one more to the texas regional forums

its the blue dot in a red state.

you get to go to Texas Yaris Yak

Oh yeah . Austin is kickass!

| UR 19mm sway |

Last edited by Cosmonaut; 03-19-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
QR25DE_SpecV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
QR25DE_SpecV

My biggest problem with California is the way they treat car enthusiasts.

Things like "You have an intake, there for you must be a street racer." and a V-TEC controller turning cars into 'death machines'. It's sickening.

That combined with the rolling emissions stations, it's just retarded.

California is full of unconstitutional bullshit laws.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
Actually, Austin is becoming an example of why Californians moving to Texas is such a bad thing! The town is becoming overly liberal, and a recent incident concerning a gun show there has convinced me the Left Coast influence has gone too far! The Austin PD and the show sponsor violated state laws to interfere with legal transactions involving firearms. There is on-going legal action concerning the case, so details are mute; but considering this is Texas it is just amazing that someone would even contemplate such actions!

Don't get me wrong, I love Austin the town; but the people and politics there are getting ridiculous. It is becoming a far-left liberal bastion and while in certain circumstances, such as a college environment, that can be entertaining; the fact that it has overflowed into the local and somewhat state governments there is concerning. It won't go unchecked for long.

That is why I prefer things down here is laid-back, conservative San Antonio! It is "Old School Texas" and while people may drive like idiots, the monthly gun shows are one of the most popular events around!

To the OP, Texas is a great place to live but very different to California in its mindset. If you can come here and adapt to the mainstream, you'll love it. Try to act or make it like it's California, and you will hate every minute of it.

By the way, had BailOut made those comments while in Texas, he'd probably get his ass kicked! People don't take too kindly to such arrogant criticism in this state!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
QR25DE_SpecV

Sigh, I hate to admit it but you're right. The liberal hippy d-bags are in full force :(

Quote:
Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
California / SF Bay Area, Pros: weather; economy (?)(I mean supposedly we have more opportunities here with the concentration of high tech companies, etc... doesn't feel that way lately, though, let me tell ya ) ; culturally diversity (in the Bay Area at least) so it's relatively easy to adapt (in that order).

California / SF Bay Area Cons: earthquakes (anytime, now ); cost of living is insane; depending where in the State you are, the mentality can be irritating; some of our laws are downright stupid and irritating. The state is broke.

Keep in mind that I'm in the Bay Area and 100 miles away from here, people are completely different, cost of living drops sharply but economic opportunities are scarce, and the weather, even, is completely different, much harsher. So it's hard to generalize.

Should you move to Texas? Well, if it makes financial sense and you can stand the difference of temperature, I'd try it. TX has the reputation of being ultra conservative, seen from here, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, even if you're not.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
(no offense intended MadMax so please don't take any)

Quote:
By the way, had BailOut made those comments while in Texas, he'd probably get his ass kicked! People don't take too kindly to such arrogant criticism in this state!
And that's a plus for Texas because...

I've spent considerable time in Texas and arrogance seems to be a very common quality - that is when it comes to being arrogant about how great Texas is.

I've lived in Maryland, California and now Colorado. I've never felt negative remarks about any of them rises to the level of requiring an ass-kicking, so why do Texans feel that way?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
fmicle

Well the one thing that entices me to move is to get away from this overly exaggerated liberal shit... I wouldn't move to Austin if it was "little California" in the heart of Texas. I thought people are moving from California to Texas because they like Texas, not because they like California

I'm so sick of all this extreme liberal crap, that I just want to get away from it. Trust me, there are members of my wife's extended family that haven't worked for a day in their entire life and somehow are doing just fine, living in a single family home (paid for by the state) with a backyard and everything, while my wife and I, both working full-time jobs, were renting a unit in a four-plex until recently.

My brother-in-law used to complain that his car insurance was higher than his rent ($15 - he's on HUD as well).

Being from Europe I just could not believe the level of welfare services that I found here in California. Too much is too much I'm just sick of seeing my tax money being wasted like that...

The city of San Jose has postponed building a park across the street from our town-home complex to 2013 (which was one of the reasons why we bought there in the first place) because they say they don't have money to maintain the parks and are $100 million short in this year's budget. But get this, the builder has already paid the city for the park construction, it was part of the deal when they got the tract to develop it. Some people could call that stealing... They took the park money from the developer and used it for something else.

Here is another one: the San Jose PD chief is quitting and moving to Dallas for the top cop job (last I read) and since he's worked for SJPD for more than 15 years or so, he gets 90% of his last paycheck for the rest of his life. I'm sure his new paycheck won't be too shabby... way to go, living on 2 decent paychecks! There goes my park money...

I could spend the whole day writing stories that come to my mind, but I have to go back to work... someone has to pay the taxes around here, so that all these sweet state benefits can be paid...

Oh, some of the state workers had to take unpaid furloughs because California is $2 billion in the red? How sad, it's breaking my heart, cue violin music... When my company (and all the companies I worked for) is short on cash they LAY PEOPLE OFF.

California's state employee head count has increased by 40,000 in the last 5 years alone!

So yeah, I'm sick of this BS.