Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
ersheff

Drives: NA
manual or automatic for newbie?

Hello.
I'm buying my first car soon (previous vehicles have been hand-me-downs) and have pretty much 100% decided on a Yaris.
I'm shopping used, but am looking for a few must-have options.
Primarily, I need a hatchback with the 60/40 split rear seats, and would prefer the 5 door.
The one thing I'm not decided on yet is the transmission.
See, I've never driven stick. So I can't really test drive one.
My girlfriend is convinced that if I bought a manual, she could teach me to drive it well enough to get to work the next day (like she had to do with her first car).
I haven't seen nearly as many used manual Yarii with the options I want (5 door, split rear) as I have used auto Yarii with those options.
I really want fuel efficiency, though I've seen some folks say an automatic is just as good, while others with manuals are hitting 50mpg tanks.
Also, I don't think that I would be happy not being able to use my hands while driving (morning coffee, changing the podcast I'm listening to).
I don't intend to do much to maximize FE other than keeping my tires filled and driving smartly. None of this 55mph on the interstate stuff for me.
I should add that my morning commute is 45 miles, about 90% highway.
So, what do you think?
If I drive conservatively with an automatic, will I see an improvement over the 33mpg I'm currently getting with my auto '96 Saturn SC2?
I'm happy to make compromises in my driving for FE's sake, but if it's going to be a pretty negligible difference with the way I drive, I'd rather have the auto.
ersheff is offline   Reply With Quote