Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
Has anyone notice

After a long drive on a highway (300km), TS becomes somewhat sluggish. There is no more hard acceleration and that sort of things. But then again, after a few hours of hard driving, it comes back to normal. Is that ECU adapting itself?
And if so, how should i drive it to make ECU goes to top performance state.
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
constantin
VVT-i Addict

Drives: Yaris TS
Send a message via Yahoo to constantin
I also noticed that on my TS but i thinj is the ECU. It "learns" your driving style. A hard acceleration and things go back to normal.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
i notice a similar thing , my car felt like it was pulling really hard , it still does , although i do alot of rush hour traffic driving , i do hammer it when there isnt traffic , but somehow the car seems to have not as much punch, now im not sure if it is just my imagination , i mean if i floor first and grab at 2nd , she still spins into second , so im not sure if its in my mind or what. i have an exhaust on the car , well , 57mm from the middle resonator to the back with a megan racing rear muffler.

i did hit the rpm limiter by accident 2 nights ago , but i dont think that can cause any damage , i mean that why the limiter is there right ?

is there anything else that could be wrong ? or is it the ECU messing me around ?
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
constantin
VVT-i Addict

Drives: Yaris TS
Send a message via Yahoo to constantin
I have a huge problem. I was racing a Suzuki Swift 1.6 and instead of 3rd I git 1st at 90kmh. It reved very hard and since then I have knocking noise, very faint but the car pulls really bad. I compared it to a 1.4 diesel Yaris and from 0-130kmh the cars were equal.

Does anyone know what could it be?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
somehow the car seems to have not as much punch, now im not sure if it is just my imagination
That's the ECU doing it's job to conserve gas. It learns based on how much you accelerated on your last trip, among other things. The only way I know to pull faster is to drive faster (consistently) between trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
i did hit the rpm limiter by accident 2 nights ago , but i dont think that can cause any damage , i mean that why the limiter is there right ?
Correct. Hitting the limiter every once in a while does no damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantin View Post
I have a huge problem. I was racing a Suzuki Swift 1.6 and instead of 3rd I git 1st at 90kmh.
Weird... There's supposedly a safety feature on the Yaris where you can't shift to 1st while at certain speeds. Seems to me that you may have to give the mechanic a visit.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
That's the ECU doing it's job to conserve gas. It learns based on how much you accelerated on your last trip, among other things. The only way I know to pull faster is to drive faster (consistently) between trips.

Correct. Hitting the limiter every once in a while does no damage.

Weird... There's supposedly a safety feature on the Yaris where you can't shift to 1st while at certain speeds. Seems to me that you may have to give the mechanic a visit.
thanks for the feedback , makes alot of sense, i thought the ECU was messing with me
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
suoama

Drives: Yaris 1.8 TS 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by constantin View Post
I have a huge problem. I was racing a Suzuki Swift 1.6 and instead of 3rd I git 1st at 90kmh. It reved very hard and since then I have knocking noise, very faint but the car pulls really bad. I compared it to a 1.4 diesel Yaris and from 0-130kmh the cars were equal.

Does anyone know what could it be?
Just in case (after 2 years...) lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocker_arm

It's possible you broke Rocker arm.
suoama is offline   Reply With Quote