Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
veloyaris

Drives: YarisMerahStandart09
(help) waxing

hello guys. i'm a newbie.
i have a new yaris.

i have a couple question.. does a new car need to be waxed? what are the best wax product for my new red yaris?

please help, cuz i'm a fresh newbie that know nothing about detailing...
veloyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Yes. You should. The best product is, as you might expect, a subjective matter. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference as long as it says it's safe for clear coats, which pretty much everything short of rubbing compound does these days. You could do worse than Mother's California Gold. (I've found that people who paint cars still tend to prefer carnuba wax to silicone. Silicone is hard to get rid of when it comes to painting or repair time.)

Modern waxes are pretty much Apply, Dry, Wipe. So you don't have all that rubbing that we used to do. Waxes which claim to be cleaning waxes have a little abrasive in them to take of the surface scum, and maybe a tiny layer of oxidized paint. But not much. Because modern clear coat finishes pretty well forbid the use of siginificant abrasive.

Your car is red, which is fine. People with metallic (or in our case, mica) blue finishes or silver finishes should be extra careful about keeping the finish out of the sun as much as possible. For decades, I've kept thinking that modern acrylic urethanes, etc. have finally solved the metallic blue and silver "oxidize and powder off" problem, and for decades, I've been disappointed as I've seen the "new" cars age and have the same problem we've always had with those colors. Particularly the metallic blues. Silver might actually have gotten better. It was never quite as bad.

-Steve Bergman
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I like to apply two layers of wax the first wax is a paint sealant such as the Toyoguard that comes with some cars if not wal-mart has that Nano-wax. After that i like to throw on this stuff called Liquid Glass, Not the Meguiars stuff This is some stuff thats been around a while, I put it on my Yaris and Camry and it kept them Looking Pretty darn good. Since i don't drive much i can get away with redoing the wax about every 4-6 Months on the yaris. The Camry she drives alot more so i do that one every 3 Months. They have this stuff at wal-mart and most the auto part stores have it.

As far as Waxing a new car, Absolutely Yes. If the Dealership did wax it they use Cheaper stuff that probably last at the longest a Month, But just think how long that car sat on the lot for. I don't know where you're from but if your car came there by train then i'd check it for rail dust, if it does have it then either you can claybar it or get the dealership to do it, if it is raildust and your car is no more than a few weeks old, i'd get it done for free. You can look up diff tips on how to tell if your car needs clay, If that stuff stays on you car it is going to look like it has small specs of rust all over it.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
veloyaris

Drives: YarisMerahStandart09
@Steve Bergman
is there any wax with non abrasive?

@S7V7N:
what is liquid glass ??
is it safe for the paint and varnish ?
veloyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
A guy i knew had a fleet of Mercedes, this is all he used on them, so if it's good enough for Mercedes it's good enough for or Toyota's Loll

Got this description off the amazon site.

Product Description
Product Description
This amazing special formula makes it possible to coat your vehicle with a clear, hard, smooth, and mirror-like finish with a minimum of effort. The finish will not crack, chip, peel, or turn yellow. Liquid Glass is safe for use on today's clearcoats, gelcoats, acrylics, metalflakes, candy apples, pearls, plastic paints, epoxies, urethanes, etc. Also does an excellent job on chrome, aluminum, stainless steel, brass, etc. Use on automobiles, trucks, vans, RV's, motorcycles, and other vehicles. Provides excellent protection against normal road, atmospheric, and other sources of pollution, dirt, etc. Retards oxidation of painted metals and fiberglass. Also use on aircraft to protect, keep clean, and reduce surface friction. It also has hundreds of uses in and around the home, (for example, Formica, ceramic tile, jewelry, glass, sporting and camping equipment, etc.)

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloyaris View Post
i have a new yaris.

i have a couple question.. does a new car need to be waxed? what are the best wax product for my new red yaris?

Try to wash your car regularly. Then try to wax your car regularly, like monthly or every two months. If you do, you can get by with pretty much any wax. I use easy to use wax, like spray wax, very easy.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
@Steve Bergman
is there any wax with non abrasive?
If the bottle talks about "Cleaning", it's likely to be more abrasive than a product that doesn't.

Since my finish is in pretty good shape, I've taken to just keeping a bottle of Turtle Wax spray in the trunk, with some terrycloth towels. After exiting the car wash, I just wipe it down with the spray, and dry it with a clean dry towel. It's no harder than just towel-drying, really, and I know I'm always freshly waxed. The sprays have lower durability than pastes and liquids, but they're easy enough to apply that I do it after every wash. The liquids and pastes I tend to put off doing for longer than I should, because of the hassle. I figure oxidation is not so much about how often you wax... but how often you don't. When it's uncomfortably cold outside, and they're using salt and sand on the roads... and when it is uncomfortably hot outside, and sun intensity is at its peak.

Note that despite any claims, the micro-thin layer of wax or silicone in car waxes can't really filter out much UV. But they do protect the clear layer which does contain an effective UV blocker.

And BTW, so far as I know the spray waxes contain no abrasives at all.

-Steve

Last edited by sbergman27; 03-29-2010 at 07:10 AM.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I agree with Steve. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash. It is very easy to use and you can even use it on your windows. It works as good as Rain-X. I just spray it after washing and dry with a microfiber cloth.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Hello Veloyaris, and welcome to the forum!

This may be stating the obvious but be sure to wash your car before applying any wax. Just because the car comes from the dealership, doesn't mean there isn't some fine particles and stuff on the car, so always wash first immediately before waxing, that's my advice, even if the car appears clean. You don't want to rub in fine particles and scratch your clear coat and paint and depending on where you live, stuff can get on the paint within hours of washing the car. (where I live, it's within minutes )

I use Meguiar's shampoo to wash the car, and Meguiar next step paste which works pretty well. It puts on a really thin, but strong protective coat. You can wax it twice.

You should look through this section of the forum. There are step by steps threads with pictures, which were real helpful to me in the beginning.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
RevoluScion

Drives: tC
Quote:
i have a new yaris.

does a new car need to be waxed? yes, to give the paint a longer run by giving it protection...

what are the best wax product for my new red yaris? this is always a conflict topic but i am loyal to only smartwax.

Team & Individual Sponsors:
MOTUL - SMARTWAX - K&N - AEM - TOKICO - R1 CONCEPTS - TOYO TIRES - CROSSFIRE - G2 AUTOSPORTS - M2- NRG - MISHIMOTO - ROTORA - VERTICAL DOORS - CLAZZIO - K&R DIGITAL - EURO LIGHTS - 5ZIGEN
we are a family oriented all Toyota brand Car Club! toyota, lexus, yaris & Scion Bienbenidos!!!!
RevoluScion is offline   Reply With Quote