Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #55
advocate

Drives: car
How can you overstate the fact that when you live in California and go over the bay bridge you have to constantly correct the steering wheel because the wind is trying to blow you off the side?

It's hard to overstate the truth.

I've driven a couple other cars before the Yaris in very similar situations and this was the only one I experienced it in.

It might be true that vans are worse but commercial vans are in the realm of freight moving vehicles and not economy road cars.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Toyota made the car unsafe without a sway bar, I would just say that it's a bit unnerving and probably not 100% safe to be affected by the wind that much. It's probably more like only 80% safe.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #56
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Since I don't think I've officialy commented, I love my Yaris. I ordered it in March of 2006 and I recieved one of the first in the country in May of 2006. While I would have loved to get one of the blue colors, the red is pretty cool too.

While the handling isn't sports car great, it is pretty good. Of course, if I wanted great handling I would've stayed with my Saab Viggen. That car was amazing fun. What those foolish car reviewers fail to mention is how amazingly fun tourque steer can be.

I bought the car for its fuel economy mainly, and getting 40 mpg is really great, especially with the crazy gas prices we have currently.

I also love the 3 door look, there simply aren't enough 3 door vehicles any more, and I have always been partial to that body style since growing up around my father's 1982 Supra.

This car is win-win for me. I now almost have 50k miles on it, and it is still going strong. No complaints.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #57
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
How can you overstate the fact that when you live in California and go over the bay bridge you have to constantly correct the steering wheel because the wind is trying to blow you off the side?

Pfeww, finally!! I thought I was the only one!! I was starting to wonder if i was trippin' or something.

By the way, the LB and the Sedan really are different cars.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #58
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
By the way, the LB and the Sedan really are different cars.
Yes... the Vitz and the Belta in Japan. So they are different models with a similar style, not two body styles of the same model like here.

But I'm curious, is the theory that the hatchback is less stable in wind than the sedan? Has anyone here driven both (or better yet, owned both) and can comment on how the overall driving experience of the two compares?
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #59
sdyaris

Drives: 2010 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x
regrets

With the 8 inches of snow we got last night I do miss having a truck to plow through the 12 inch+ drifts but the Yaris still did great with the set of snow tires that i have on it.
sdyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #60
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i shoulda bought a 5dr hatch
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #61
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
For the record, I already ordered my Thai 5 door LB Yaris, in E trim, and it will be arriving in 8 days. I had an xA, and if it is anything like the xA I had when I lived in CA (and in the San Francisco Bay Area, then Los Angeles), wind was not that big of a deal. Of course getting the xA lowered made it all the more stable. But yeah. . . try driving a minivan for a few years and you'll know unstable. . . or an SUV.

But the tC I had was definitely leap years more stable in the wind. That and it was a lot more roomy. I honestly want my tC here in Thailand, but with import taxes it'd cost me near $60,000. So yeah. . . no.

The xA drove great once lowered, but that's not an option here with potholes half a foot deep and speed bumps that even stock height cars can get STUCK on. I'm going to have to keep it stock height for sanity's sake. . . and my xA was nearly falling apart and rattling to death after a few years and 100,000 miles of lowered ride height. I attribute the rattling and what not in part to the stiff suspension shaking everything apart.

So yeah, I will have to find a sway bar ASAP. I had one on the tC and the benefits to the handling for the price was unbeatable. That and there were no ill after effects of a lowered car.

Had an impossible time deciding between the Jazz and Mazda 2. If the Ford Fiesta was here, I probably would have taken it instead. Honestly, I hope I don't end up regretting my rush. The Mazda 2 is pretty much identical to the Fiesta, except the interior blows something fierce. It's terrible inside, IMO. The Jazz is awesome too, but it's a pain in the rear to get one in MT in Thailand WITH dual front airbags and ABS. MT is usually reserved for bottom trim only here which are completely stripped. I honestly hate how small the rear hatch cargo room is and I hate the fact that the rear seat is not 60/40 split for the highest trim level available with MT.

To me, Yaris Plusses are:
Best interior, IMO (not a fan of the Honda designs, but they are nice too)
Best price
Best model grade/option levels
Best exterior design

Yaris Minuses:
Worthless and completely useless cargo area
No 60/40 split on rear seat
starting to show it's age against the competition (mazda 2 and Jazz)

I really hope I don't end up regretting this purchase.

Last edited by djct_watt; 12-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #62
deerebilt

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan S
No regrets whatsoever. Purchase new3-10-08 08 Sedan S 5sp w/pwr pkg 33k mi now still like new only normal maintenence sone period. No squeks , rattles, nothing. Average mpg since new is 45.5 mpg. Got 50+mpg all summer.Love this car. Got everything but speed but that just gets you in trouble these days anyway.Would recomend the Yaris to anyone.
deerebilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #63
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I have no regrets as I got a small very fuel efficient commuter car which is what I wanted. Only thing is I had the hardest time deciding b/w the sedan and liftback. I got the sedan but still am not sure if I should have gone with the lb. And I got mica and wish I had gotten black.
1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #64
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
5 door hatch would have been nice
and would have liked another color but I bought mine used and the price was very good.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #65
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I would have liked a differnt colour...and 5drs on mine but I bought mine off craigslist and with the top of the line package.... I couldnt have asked for a better deal!<3

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #66
the1sen
Lotus4Life

Drives: Lotus Elise
Hi,

We own a Fit/Jazz, and we LOVE it... CAVERNOUS cargo area does not compare to the Yaris at all and the Honda handles better in ever way imaginable...

That said, I am buying a Yaris in the very near future for all the things the Fit/Jazz isn't... I like the Yaris look better, more potential... I like the Yaris because it gets better fuel economy, and because it's just so damned cute.

We will keep the Fit, for sure - I don't know too many small cars that can EASILY fit a full sized Washing Machine and 3 people in a car at the same time... The Yaris will be a welcomed addition.

Boil it down to your needs. If you are hauling lots of stuff, the Fit is the only way to go.

Good luck!
the1sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #67
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Road noise noiceable down the free way and I wish the trunk/boot was a bit larger.

Overall no regrets.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #68
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Bought 2010 fit sport MT. Don't know if I regret it yet. im getting 41.5 mpg hwy, and 39.x mpg with a little mix of city driving. The handling is indeed great. The interior is nice. Audio system is sweet. Looks are ok but not spectacular, especially the rear part. Love the transmission - smooth and easy shifting. Buttery revving-happy engine. Great visibility, airy feel inside. Humongous rear space.
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #69
brutal910

Drives: 2007 tyota yaris 2 door hatchb
hi everybody! i'm a newbie, i just retired my 89 astro van 350 v8 gas guzzler for a 2007 3 door yaris hatch back for 7,800 bucks ,already tricked out. it has 18x7 and1/2 wheels,215/35/18 cooper tires, lowered 1and1/2 inches ,sway bar,performance pulleys, aem cold air intake, short throw shifter,corolla throttle body,greddy full exhaust,ceramic coated header,hid headlights,brows,vitz badges.drives like a shifter cart. quick and fun.white with white wheels.
brutal910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #70
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
My only regret is that I didn't buy two.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #71
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Never regret of buying my Yaris, even there is some stuff that has given a little bit of a headache, still a great little car in all aspects.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #72
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
My only possible regret is that I did not wait for the 5dr with a manual tranny. I had no idea they would come out with that in 2010.
Oh well, I got such a great price on mine though.....ZERO REGRETS.