Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #55
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
I'd think that the paint on a lexus would be much better than one on a yaris since it's a more high-end car. *shrugs*
There aren't optional paint choices, and the process is the same for all cars of any given brand. In the auto industry, there's no such thing as paint for high-end cars and a separate type of paint for low-end cars.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #56
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
ive heard with automatics (if you gonna get one) are laggy and the shifting is awkward on them...not positive tho....

people also complain about the paint but i havent had any problems...

but overall the car rocks!
I was actually pretty impressed with the automatic in my wife's liftback when I test drove it. The low-end gearing seemed pretty good. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the downshift on downhill slops. Yeah, I know it makes sense to kick in the engine braking but it still feels... wrong.

Still, for a 4-speed automatic I thought the gear ratios and selection were faily good.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #57
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
There aren't optional paint choices, and the process is the same for all cars of any given brand. In the auto industry, there's no such thing as paint for high-end cars and a separate type of paint for low-end cars.
Do they just put on more coats of paint or something?

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #58
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post
I was actually pretty impressed with the automatic in my wife's liftback when I test drove it. The low-end gearing seemed pretty good. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the downshift on downhill slops. Yeah, I know it makes sense to kick in the engine braking but it still feels... wrong.

Still, for a 4-speed automatic I thought the gear ratios and selection were faily good.

yes, that still fucks with me
Old 07-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #59
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
Do they just put on more coats of paint or something?
I'd be willing to bet the paint on a Lexus is just as thin as the paint on a Yaris.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #60
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post

I personally couldn't stand the auto. It felt like the only way to get even moderate acceleration was to push it hard enough so it would hold the lower gears into fairly high revs. It always seemed like the engine was having to work hard just to barely get going. The manual was just the opposite. It felt snappy in any gear, and pretty much at all RPM's. Based on my test drives, I wouldn't own a Yaris with an automatic.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #61
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
really? I have no complaints. I guess I was so used to that old sluggish golf that this car feels great. I find it quite smooth. Somewhere between 90-100 mph it feels a little funny.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #62
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
I personally couldn't stand the auto. It felt like the only way to get even moderate acceleration was to push it hard enough so it would hold the lower gears into fairly high revs. It always seemed like the engine was having to work hard just to barely get going. The manual was just the opposite. It felt snappy in any gear, and pretty much at all RPM's. Based on my test drives, I wouldn't own a Yaris with an automatic.
I had quite a different impression after driving both the automatic and stick Vitz in Japan. Then, in the States, I test drove both versions numerous times before finally buying one. In the end, I bought the automatic; I wouldn't own a Yaris with a stick shift; I don't like the shifter, the gear ratios, or the clutch.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #63
R()ger

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Yo hablo español. Todos los demás aquí son demasiado huevones para ni siquiera intentarlo.
hahahahaha. deberiamos empezar a dar una clases de español. para que sean bilingues.
R()ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #64
R()ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUYZA View Post
OH°! by the way...

Nobody here speak spanish? it´s just a cuestion.. I mean, is good to me this, becouse I´m learning a few new things,...or...Am I the only mexican here?
yo hablo español, y si hay varias personas en el foro q son latinos. no se si has entrado ya pero puedes ir a Regional Forums > Central and South America ahi la mayoria somos de panama pero hay de algunos otros paises.

saludos.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #65
R()ger

good. Gas mileage, save gas.

Bad: Space. haha a lo mejor soy solo yo el que piensa que hace falta un poco mas de espacio, ya q no tengo maletero
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #66
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
I had quite a different impression after driving both the automatic and stick Vitz in Japan. Then, in the States, I test drove both versions numerous times before finally buying one. In the end, I bought the automatic; I wouldn't own a Yaris with a stick shift; I don't like the shifter, the gear ratios, or the clutch.
To each their own I guess. I just couldn't handle the sluggishness of the auto.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #67
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
To each their own I guess. I just couldn't handle the sluggishness of the auto.
I prefer not to go round and round with this controversy, but I don't want those considering a new Yaris purchase to think the automatic is "sluggish" because it isn't! In fact, it's only one second slower in the quarter mile than the stick (and that's with a seasoned professional driving the stick).

Don't be afraid to step on the accelerator pedal and the automatic will perform flawlessly both upshifting and downshifting with great precision. The Yaris automatic is an extremely refined little transmission well fitted to the 1.5litre. I wish I could say the same about the stick because I love driving a manual shift, but the Yaris stick is just plain clumsy!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #68
grampi

Quote:
I prefer not to go round and round with this controversy, but I don't want those considering a new Yaris purchase to think the automatic is "sluggish" because it isn't! In fact, it's only one second slower in the quarter mile than the stick (and that's with a seasoned professional driving the stick).

Don't be afraid to step on the accelerator pedal and the automatic will perform flawlessly both upshifting and downshifting with great precision. The Yaris automatic is an extremely refined little transmission well fitted to the 1.5litre. I wish I could say the same about the stick because I love driving a manual shift, but the Yaris stick is just plain clumsy!
I didn't see at all what you're saying about the stick. The one I drove wasn't clumsy at all. In fact, it was silky smooth. I wish the manual in my Corolla was as smooth as that of the Yaris. While the actual performance of the stick vs the auto may be close to identical, the manually equipped Yaris feels quick, nimble, and sporty compared to the auto.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #69
kimona
Super Moderator

Hey Grampi, for a guy that doesn't even own a Yaris, you sure have a lot of opinions based on a simple test drive.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #70
grampi

Quote:
Hey Grampi, for a guy that doesn't even own a Yaris, you sure have a lot of opinions based on a simple test drive.
While I've only driven one automatic, I've driven several manuals, and a couple of them were quite extensive test drives.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #71
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
While I've only driven one automatic, I've driven several manuals, and a couple of them were quite extensive test drives.
BFD! I rest my case. Your opinion is just about worthless. A car is like a woman, you only really get to know after you've been married for some time.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #72
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Have you received your new car yet? Post some pics when you do!