Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Kangaru

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan C-PACK
Warning - Broken control arm bolt!

I had this issue happen on my 2007 model Yaris Sedan assembled by Central Auto Woks. I am out of warranty, and the fix is around $16 for parts(2 bolts) and around 3.5-5 hours labour.

I had noticed that the driver side had the clunk mentioned in the first post, I took it in and yes it was broken. The dealership said the passenger side was so corroded it could break too, so they replaced both. My local dealership denied that my car was part of the TSB3271 because of how the VIN numbers went. I did a simple VIN check and noticed that the production change was some time in 2009, and mine being a 2007 has the older control arm and bolts.

I would urge anyone with a 2006-2009 model Yaris hatch or sedan to go get that inspected within the warranty period. If you live in an Northern US area or Canada(like myself) the road salt corrodes the bolts and causes them to break. If the bolt breaks, its a $400-500 job to replace, and a new control arm runs around $500 per side. I was provided the TSB in a PDF format from a technician who works at a Toyota dealership outside my area. Toyota has been less than helpful about this problem, and they say...sorry its out of warranty.

I still have a claim with Toyota Customer Care, because I was lied to about the TSB applying to my vehicle. I was also told that because I didn't get my vehicle serviced by an authorized Toyota dealership, that they cannot help me. This is a full out load of BS.
It doesn't help that the people on the phone know very little about cars, and rely on what the dealership says only.

I would normally not care if something broke on my car outside warranty, and would pay for it. This is not normal, its not something that gets inspected or serviced. Its a faulty part that could lead to injury or death.

If you are in warranty or perhaps the extended warranty, most dealers will replace everything. Toyota knows about the problem, and so did the technician I know. If you are outside...(15,000kms) and a year like me...looks like Toyota says your screwed.

I would like to post the TSB, anyone know the best way to post a .PDF?
Kangaru is offline   Reply With Quote