Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
xmotionx

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris LE
Need help with a potential purchase

I've been looking vigorously for a Yaris as I find it is my best choice for a fuel economic car. I came across a 2010 Yaris HB with 55,000KM from Toyota dealer for $12,950. Vehicle had 1 owner and was recently a trade-in. Without coming off as rude to the dealer, I'm not sure what to offer him as he's open to offers. This vehicle has a clean title but does have a insurance claim from an incident that caused some type of damage at the front right area of the vehicle. This claim was only valued at $1050 which doesn't really raise any flags for me, but may defer someone to purchase this vehicle in the future if I decide to re-sell it.

I appreciate any help, and advice. Thank you!

Edit: Forgot to mention the price is in Canadian Dollars.
xmotionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
That is a very high price for a used car IMHO. How much is a brand new Yaris around your area?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
xmotionx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
That is a very high price for a used car IMHO. How much is a brand new Yaris around your area?
Brand new 2014 Yaris Hatchback LE goes for $14,895 + $1,495 Transport and PDI (+HST).

The 2010 I mentioned above is overpriced, but I'm not sure even if I offer the guy $8,500 if that's a smack in the face offer. Keep in mind I still have to pay the HST on this as well (13%).

I have also found a couple 2012 Yaris HB's for around $12,000 to $13,500 with ~50,000 km - only problem is, a majority of these were previously rental vehicles. Probably should sway away from these.

Last edited by xmotionx; 01-10-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Just my two cents but I never buy a car that has been in an accident. They are never the same. That sounds rather high for a used that has been involved in something. Have you checked the Kelly Blue Book value? You might save yourself some aggravation to look else where. Yaris around here go for as low as 8G.
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
LeetViet

Drives: 07 Yaris 4DR
Almost ~$13K for a 2010 Yaris sounds expensive to me.

$8450 for 2010 with 115K KM/Automatic: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ538672574

$7250 for 2010 with 115K KM/Manual: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ551409847
LeetViet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
That's high even for a car with a clean history. For one with an accident - too much.

The problem with accident repair is that in the damage and repair, corrosion protection is compromised. When the body is welded and painted at the factory, it is dipped in a charged vat of metallic primer. The charge pulls paint into every recess of the body.

When a car is in a collision the whole structure flexes and can be deformed. It sometimes isn't obvious unless you see it videoed, such as those test-collisions done by DOT. I had a Nissan pickup truck, years ago...smacked in the rear on the box. Damage SEEMED isolated to the right rear corner; but an examination showed that the whole frame flexed; the box was shoved up against the cab on the forward left quadrant and dented the bulkhead about half an inch forward in a foot-long area. The frame was no longer true, also. Interestingly, the box returned to its proper alignment relative to the cab; so either the bolts stretched or the frame flexed downward to allow the two to come together.

So...to this Yaris: What has flexed inside and underneath, peeling paint and coatings, that wasn't found because it had sprung back to original form? Hidden friction points? Places where parts removed and replaced scratched metal? Add road salt and a few years, and what you have is a headache.

I'd avoid it unless it were much, much less expensive than that.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
xmotionx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
Just my two cents but I never buy a car that has been in an accident. They are never the same. That sounds rather high for a used that has been involved in something. Have you checked the Kelly Blue Book value? You might save yourself some aggravation to look else where. Yaris around here go for as low as 8G.
That's USD I'm assuming. I checked the website you mentioned and it gave me a fair purchase price at about $10,325 USD. I ended up settling with the vehicle at $11,000 CAD which is roughly around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
Almost ~$13K for a 2010 Yaris sounds expensive to me.

$8450 for 2010 with 115K KM/Automatic: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ538672574

$7250 for 2010 with 115K KM/Manual: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ551409847
The vehicle I'm looking at has only 55k, barely driven and only 1 driver. I'm sure that has to count for something :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
That's high even for a car with a clean history. For one with an accident - too much.

The problem with accident repair is that in the damage and repair, corrosion protection is compromised. When the body is welded and painted at the factory, it is dipped in a charged vat of metallic primer. The charge pulls paint into every recess of the body.

When a car is in a collision the whole structure flexes and can be deformed. It sometimes isn't obvious unless you see it videoed, such as those test-collisions done by DOT. I had a Nissan pickup truck, years ago...smacked in the rear on the box. Damage SEEMED isolated to the right rear corner; but an examination showed that the whole frame flexed; the box was shoved up against the cab on the forward left quadrant and dented the bulkhead about half an inch forward in a foot-long area. The frame was no longer true, also. Interestingly, the box returned to its proper alignment relative to the cab; so either the bolts stretched or the frame flexed downward to allow the two to come together.

So...to this Yaris: What has flexed inside and underneath, peeling paint and coatings, that wasn't found because it had sprung back to original form? Hidden friction points? Places where parts removed and replaced scratched metal? Add road salt and a few years, and what you have is a headache.

I'd avoid it unless it were much, much less expensive than that.
From my understanding with the dealer (Toyota dealer, not an independent dealer) the bumper was replaced and there was no damage to the frame. Minor fender bender.

I'll have to confirm with the dealer that this is the case before I purchase because now I'm starting to second guess myself.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
An insurance claim of $1050 would be pretty much replacing/painting some plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmotionx View Post
I have also found a couple 2012 Yaris HB's for around $12,000 to $13,500 with ~50,000 km - only problem is, a majority of these were previously rental vehicles. Probably should sway away from these.
Mine was a previous rental. It went on the road in November 2005 and I bought it February 2007 with 39K on her. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
xmotionx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
An insurance claim of $1050 would be pretty much replacing/painting some plastic.

Mine was a previous rental. It went on the road in November 2005 and I bought it February 2007 with 39K on her. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
I ended up taking a look at that 2012 model. It felt great on the road, but I could not stand the interior. I fell in love with the 2010, especially the fact that it had at least aux.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
55K is a nice low mileage vehicle.

You have to figure that the dealer is initially trying to make between 3-4K profit on this vehicle. Previous owner probably only got around 9K trade-in allowance at best. This is your pricing window for figuring out a reasonable offer to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmotionx View Post
That's USD I'm assuming. I checked the website you mentioned and it gave me a fair purchase price at about $10,325 USD. I ended up settling with the vehicle at $11,000 CAD which is roughly around that.

The vehicle I'm looking at has only 55k, barely driven and only 1 driver. I'm sure that has to count for something :P

From my understanding with the dealer (Toyota dealer, not an independent dealer) the bumper was replaced and there was no damage to the frame. Minor fender bender.

I'll have to confirm with the dealer that this is the case before I purchase because now I'm starting to second guess myself.
You do make good points. Do you trust this dealer? What's the custom buying/selling in your part of Canada? In the States, used-car salesmen are right up there with grave robbers in terms of trust and integrity. In Canada, you do it a little differently, eh? Maybe you can trust the guy.

Do what due diligence you can. Can you get an independent body shop to look at it, make sure there wasn't structural repair or damage?

Mileage at 55,000k, which I make about 30,000 miles, is very low. Again, if you can trust it...it's barely broken in.

Make yourself as informed as you can, and then make the move - or walk away, if that's what you think you need to do.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
xmotionx

I just want to say thanks to everyone here, I picked up the car on Friday and it has been pretty flawless so far. I checked under the car myself and didn't spot any issues.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
xmotionx,

Congratulations and welcome!

And Thank You, for letting us know what you ended up doing. (Actually purchasing it)

I grow weary of people on fora who solicit advice, seek expertise, present problems for solutions................................why do I get such crappy mileage, why is this light on what does it mean, can I do this mod without any problems. etc?........... AND THEN NEVER HEARING FROM THEM AGAIN OR IF THERE WAS ANY FINAL RESOLUTION.

Again congrats.

Cheers
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote