Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What is this guys nickname?
Snap 7 36.84%
Crackle 8 42.11%
Pop 6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
1,500 volts direct current vs Idiot. EXTREME VIDEO FOOTAGE

At a bare minimum the overhead wires are 1,500 volts direct current. This guy was dead before he hit the ground and yes his hand is on fire. This footage is of a person being killed by stupidity.

p.s. I uploaded this video at work and have no way of testing it. So if it don't work i'll fix it when I get home.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
Shazam.
So I can assume the video works?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
It works.

There is a slum nearby that won't have power for a while.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If that's in India, their trains run on 25,000 Volts AC single phase.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
just single phase? i thought it would be smoother with double phase. im not that good with big electrical motors.
wtf is double phase lol

y'all and your lack of knowledge
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
1,500volts isn't really anything... in fact... voltage doesn't mean squat. High voltage just means you can arc gaps... but voltage isn't what kills people.... Amperage kills people. A 1/4amp to the heart will kill a person. That's why it is such a good thing that our skin is relatively dry and such a good insulator.

I think static electricity shocks are 3,000 volts, and it only takes like 30mili-volts to fry a computer chip/electronics.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Split phase isn't two-phase. Two phase went obsolete (except for within some industrial control systems) with the advent of three-phase. The trains run on single phase, rather than three phase, because it requires only one contact (and the track as a ground) three phase would require three sets of contacts touching three separate wires.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
1,500volts isn't really anything... in fact... voltage doesn't mean squat. High voltage just means you can arc gaps... but voltage isn't what kills people.... Amperage kills people. A 1/4amp to the heart will kill a person. That's why it is such a good thing that our skin is relatively dry and such a good insulator.

I think static electricity shocks are 3,000 volts, and it only takes like 30mili-volts to fry a computer chip/electronics.

High voltage plus high current capability is the key to the popping of the dude. high voltage means that the body's high resistance is easily overcome. High current capability means crispy critter.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Wow look at him smoke...

Moron deserved it. He's a shame to our people

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
holy shit.. that was gruesome..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
if i remember right from my electrics class static discharges can have super high voltage well over 3kv but not really dangerous unless you are very sensative or have a pace maker due to the such small amount of current do to the low resistance travel of a static discharge
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
seems to me he was gonna commit suicide. and ..well he did.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #13
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
seems to me he was gonna commit suicide. and ..well he did.
I think he was just showing off... But who knows really...
Either way, it was a pretty stupid way to leave this planet.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post

The term you're looking for is "Compliance", the ability of an electric source to deliver power.

I was hit with 17,000 volts at work from a "high potter". About half a milliamp. Hurt like a bitch.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Split phase isn't two-phase. Two phase went obsolete (except for within some industrial control systems) with the advent of three-phase. The trains run on single phase, rather than three phase, because it requires only one contact (and the track as a ground) three phase would require three sets of contacts touching three separate wires.
Trains also have enough inertia in their systems that they didn't really need multiphase sources. With modern power systems its pretty easy to convert between sources with minimal losses. Today someone can design a delivery system to suit her or his requirements, put in power conversion and then set up the motor or drive systems as they please. Things are different today then they were even twenty years ago.

Gene
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #16
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
At a bare minimum the overhead wires are 1,500 volts direct current. This guy was dead before he hit the ground and yes his hand is on fire. This footage is of a person being killed by stupidity.

p.s. I uploaded this video at work and have no way of testing it. So if it don't work i'll fix it when I get home.

...or ignorance... you can't see electricity, you can't smell it, and if there is not enough of a load you can't even hear the current making the wires hum. If you come from a village that doesn't have electric power you have little experience with it.

I still recall the first time I saw 480 volt cables "jump" when someone threw the switch. These were 4/0 cables that were almost an inch thick and very heavy moving a couple of inches apart as if "magically" when the switch was thrown. Later while the system was running I stepped on one of them and could "feel" them pulse through my boots. It's not something you forget but if you've never seen it you wouldn't expect it.

To deal with high voltage "stiff" systems requires training, mainly imparting a cautious if not paranoid mindset to people who work with it. You are taught a sort of respect that is associated with guns, bombs, dangerous animals, toxins or deadly organisms. You NEVER let down your guard.

I worked with a guy who did not pay attention. One sleepy morning he grounded a 4160 source by mistake. He was far enough away he wasn't shocked. He was blinded for several minutes and experienced 2nd degree burns on half of his arm. People were vomiting because of the "burned meat odor". He said he was terrified of being blinded, but that passed when he started seeing again. When he got to the hospital he had a new horror awaiting him. The docs said, "You're not done cooking yet". They parked him in a room, pumped pain med into him and left him be. His armed swelled up, formed horrible blisters, and after six hours on pain medication they started treating him for burns.

If the kid had been trained to deal with this stuff he'd have never been anywhere near those wires.

Gene
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
*MAD DOG*

Bump, Zap, Thud

Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote