Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #91
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Granted at a few $1000 more.
This is where the FiT loses me. If I had a few thousand more to spend, I wouldn't have been looking at subcompacts.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #92
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
If I had more $$...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
This is where the FiT loses me. If I had a few thousand more to spend, I wouldn't have been looking at subcompacts.
I would of bought the Matrix instead of the Yaris, simply for the extra space. I LOVE hatchbacks, I'm not a sedan kinda girl. I do really like my experiences with Toyota so far.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #93
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I have gotten great highway miles in my Yaris. Over 46MPG. You could see my posts except for the YW site crash. The only thing is my Fit got 46.6mpg on the highway using cruise control at 65MPH. My scanguage tells me that my Yaris just can't pull those numbers unless I'm hypermiling. If I hypermiled the Fit it would most likly get in the 50s, which I only got once in my Yaris, going 55MPH with cruise control on a fairly flat highway.

The Fit's 5 speed auto may be responsible for the great MPGs.
Just curious, were these numbers the ones posted on your FiT realtime mpg screen, actual fill-up calculation, or did you plug in your scanguage to test?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #94
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
if you look at the mileage forum for the new fit over at fit freak, youve got all kinds of folks sayin, "im happy, i got 42 mpg on my computer." from the looks of things, the fit computer mileage is way off (4 mpg for many of them). so, there arent that many of them actual breaking 40 mpg in real life. im not bashing the fit. it is a terrific car. i almost traded my yaris for one, but in the end went with the more sedate, comfortable (for me) ride of the corolla, with just as good, or better, mpg's from all the data i could find from real drivers and from my real life experience after 3 tanks. im just adding a little reality to the hyperbole.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #95
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
if you look at the mileage forum for the new fit over at fit freak, youve got all kinds of folks sayin, "im happy, i got 42 mpg on my computer." from the looks of things, the fit computer mileage is way off (4 mpg for many of them). so, there arent that many of them actual breaking 40 mpg in real life. im not bashing the fit. it is a terrific car. i almost traded my yaris for one, but in the end went with the more sedate, comfortable (for me) ride of the corolla, with just as good, or better, mpg's from all the data i could find from real drivers and from my real life experience after 3 tanks. im just adding a little reality to the hyperbole.
Yup honda is known for having accuracy problems. Remember when they got busted for having the odometers running too fast and making cars go out of warranty faster. They had to notify 6 million owners http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ter-usat_x.htm Which makes people think they are getting better MPG.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #96
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
Just curious, were these numbers the ones posted on your FiT realtime mpg screen, actual fill-up calculation, or did you plug in your scanguage to test?
The 46.6 MPG was actual, at the pump, calculation. 242 miles using 5.2 gallons. 46.53 actually. My built in gauge showed 44 MPG. I didn't use my Scanguage, didn't need to since it's built in. Very Cool.

I can tell you the Fit will get better MPGs because I've done this same trip to Harrisonburg before and did't get 46.6 MPG in my Yaris. With cruise control my Yaris pulls about 40 to 42MPG on this trip. In the city I'm seeing roughly the same MPGs. Between 30-34MPG in both the Fit and the Yaris.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #97
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
I LOVE MY PHIT MORE & MORE EACH DAY.

I made a gooooooood choice!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #98
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
Yep, that's a fact. The Fit's MPG computer is off. I don't know how it calculates but it needs work. The Scanguage can be tweaked each time you fill up, thus it can be very accurate. Mine is accurate to 1/10 of a gallon consistently. In my previous post my MPG calculator was actually under the real MPG number. Weird.

I can't wait to do another trip in the Fit. I may go to Charlottesville tomorrow, but that's only 130 miles round trip. My wife drives it most of the time! I wanna Fit!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #99
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
I LOVE MY PHIT MORE & MORE EACH DAY.

I made a gooooooood choice!
You are one crazy guy! Crazy like a fox!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #100
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Yup honda is known for having accuracy problems. Remember when they got busted for having the odometers running too fast and making cars go out of warranty faster. They had to notify 6 million owners http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ter-usat_x.htm Which makes people think they are getting better MPG.
This is true, I was notified about our 2006 Civic. But what's strange is the speed indicated on the digital speedometer (at interstate speeds) matches my Garmin GPS exactly. So my mileage was never off to begin with...

Also, mileage indicators in cars have always been known to be optimistic. What's really cool in the Fit though, is the immediate mileage indicator. Most people don't know how to drive their car to acheive maximum mileage, but this makes it fool proof. Every car should have one... Are you listening Toyota?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #101
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
was that not an issue for another car manufacturer as well ? Think it may have been NISSAN .
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #102
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
In Canada there was no contest when I priced out a Yaris and a Fit. Just over 17 for the Yaris, just over 19 for the Fit. Add into that fray that the Fit didn't qualify for the $1000 eco rebate from the government (because it doesn't get as good of FE as the Yaris), and that was a price difference of over 15%.

If you like the Fit more and can justify the extra money for it than you made the right choice. For people only concerned about economy the Yaris is the clear winner.

Maybe the Fit does do better on gas if you're not driving for FE, but if I wasn't driving for FE I wouldn't have bought a Yaris. This is where Honda needs to wake up and design their economy cars for FE or at least offer a Fit which can do better on gas without the ridiculous gearing, for people who are buying an economy car for economical reason.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #103
Mikeb Yaris

Drives: 08 Sedan Base Auto/PWR BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Maybe the Fit does do better on gas if you're not driving for FE, but if I wasn't driving for FE I wouldn't have bought a Yaris. This is where Honda needs to wake up and design their economy cars for FE or at least offer a Fit which can do better on gas without the ridiculous gearing, for people who are buying an economy car for economical reason.
I think this is important, but it also works both ways. The general population DOES NOT drive for FE. They don't want to fool with it. They want a car that gets great numbers while not inconveniencing them. The downside of this seems to be that those who have fun driving for FE can't, but it seems that we're a small enough demographic to not worry so much with.

In the grand scheme of things, it would be better, particularly in America, to have cars that are efficient for sloppy drivers than to have cars that are most efficient when driven for that. You know, a million cars regularly getting 35 mpg driving like a teenager is way better than 250,000 cars capable of 40 when driven like you aren't wishing you were a street racer ala paddle shifters on an economy car.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #104
gootziecat

Drives: '09 white 5-dr LB
The Fit is a great car. I had a deposit on an '09, the key word being had. The Fit has questionable mpgs with so many people depending on their built in Honda scan gauge, which is generally inaccurate. This is according to folks on the Fit Forum, not my opinion. In past years with the Fit, mpgs were all over the place, more so than with the Yaris. That isn't to say some Fits will get outstanding mpgs or even that I may be proven wrong with time.
I really like the Fit and felt the interior was superior to the Yaris. Personally, I think Toyota should hang its head in shame in this department. I needed the additional room of the Fit as well. But as soon as I test drove the new Fit, it was evident the suspension had been changed dramatically. While it drove smoother than the '08, it didn't feel like it had the cornering stability to me. Considering the past mpg record of the Yaris, (my preferred) handling ability, and price, I now own a '09 5 dr Yaris LB.
We can argue which vehicle is the better, but I think they're both great in their own right. It's all a matter of personal preference and values. I'm happy for all of you that feel you made the right choice.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #105
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Is Sentra 2.0 real pile of doo doo? Any one drive one - the quality did not look too good when you look at it casually?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #106
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Don't believe the mpg gauge in the fits. They are wrong.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #107
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Is Sentra 2.0 real pile of doo doo? Any one drive one - the quality did not look too good when you look at it casually?
Is that a Nissan? It is. Then yes it's a pile of doo doo. hehe
Old 10-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #108
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Don't believe the mpg gauge in the fits. They are wrong.
You are absolutely right. Those gauges are off pretty much all of the time by 2 to 4 MPG.
Closed Thread